Which Camera to buy for erotic photography?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Fetishjames New Member • Posts: 3
Which Camera to buy for erotic photography?

Hello, i want to invest up to 350 dollars to buy a digital camera for erotic - fetish projects, i also need to control it through my mobilephone (self photographs with timer), which camera do you suggest to buy? Should i go with a dslr or a good compact camera does the job for an amateur like me? I am not a professional photographer, i am an artist that wants to experiment with photography, thanks!

Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,035
Re: Which Camera to buy for erotic photography?

Fetishjames wrote:

digital camera for erotic - fetish projects,

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/news/a37721/fujifilm-camera-see-through-clothes/

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D
OP Fetishjames New Member • Posts: 3

Can you please help me?

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 67,459

Fetishjames wrote:

Hello, i want to invest up to 350 dollars to buy a digital camera for erotic - fetish projects, i also need to control it through my mobilephone (self photographs with timer), which camera do you suggest to buy? Should i go with a dslr or a good compact camera does the job for an amateur like me? I am not a professional photographer, i am an artist that wants to experiment with photography, thanks!

I wouldn't think that the requirements are different from any other branch of photographing people. So, the same questions apply to this as would apply to any other. Are the photos for your own use, or do you want to distribute through some channel? If the latter, what are the quality requirements of that channel?

What lighting will you be using? Will you be shooting individuals, small or large groups? Are you doing just stills or do you want to do video?

What would be a good choice depends on the answer to those questions. For many, a good compact would be fine, for others an interchangeable lens camera would be better.

With respect to you control from a mobile phone, many camera brands offer apps the do it, you need to look for cameras that have WiFi or Bluetooth build-in.

One more hint, if you do produce photos, don't post them here, this site is quite sensitive about that genre, and you'll likely be banned.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
for one to have the hots for
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

OP Fetishjames New Member • Posts: 3

bobn2 wrote:

Fetishjames wrote:

I wouldn't think that the requirements are different from any other branch of photographing people. So, the same questions apply to this as would apply to any other. Are the photos for your own use, or do you want to distribute through some channel? If the latter, what are the quality requirements of that channel?

What lighting will you be using? Will you be shooting individuals, small or large groups? Are you doing just stills or do you want to do video?

What would be a good choice depends on the answer to those questions. For many, a good compact would be fine, for others an interchangeable lens camera would be better.

With respect to you control from a mobile phone, many camera brands offer apps the do it, you need to look for cameras that have WiFi or Bluetooth build-in.

One more hint, if you do produce photos, don't post them here, this site is quite sensitive about that genre, and you'll likely be banned.

Thank you very much for your answer! I am an amateur photographer so i don't think i will use a light to invest more money, i want to shoot with day light which is plenty where i live. I wont sell or distribute these photos, they will be used as a personal portfolio,i forgot to mention that the distance is a problem, what camera would you suggest for these kind of photographs from 1-3 meters distance?

linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,076
Olympus Tough - waterproof!

Get a waterproof compact camera - something you can wipe clean.

You don't want bodily fluids of whatever type ruining you camera. If you get anything which dries solid into the lens mechanism of most cameras you are dead - it will never retract again.

The Olympus Tough is a good model and should be within your price range. It has a nice fast lens and is impact resistant if it gets dropped (or knocked out of your hands).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-camera-bargains#tg-6 bang on your price range too at $349.

I would definitely advise you to stick with compact or at max m4/3 cameras - you want something you can gimbal mount and with a wide depth of field - you want all of the anatomy to be clear and in focus for Fetish work and eventually you will want to start doing video.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Andersonm Contributing Member • Posts: 519

350 USD is not a lot. Presumably that should include a lens?

See if you can pick up a used Olympus E-M5 or E-M10 mark 2, and a used Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens (micro four thirds, not sony E-mount). Also the Sigma 19mm f2.8.

edit: sorry, I saw that you require a (presumably good) mobile phone control app. I don't think this has it.

Andersonm's gear list:Andersonm's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
bobn2
Re: Olympus Tough - waterproof!

linux99 wrote:

Get a waterproof compact camera - something you can wipe clean.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

bobn2

Fetishjames wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Fetishjames wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer! I am an amateur photographer so i don't think i will use a light to invest more money, i want to shoot with day light which is plenty where i live. I wont sell or distribute these photos, they will be used as a personal portfolio,i forgot to mention that the distance is a problem, what camera would you suggest for these kind of photographs from 1-3 meters distance?

If it's personal use, then the question is what are your own standards. It think the best bet might be one of the 1" compact cameras, things like the Panasonic TZ100 or TZ200 (they have lots of different names in different markets), the various models of the Sony RX100, the Canon G5X and the like. These are all quite similar cameras with a zoom range that is useful indoors, reasonable low light performance, can produce good output quality and aren't so large so as to be overly painful. They will all focus down to 1m distance. I have a version of the Panasonic TZ100, it has built-in WiFi and can be controlled form your phone using the Panasonic app.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

CJAM Forum Member • Posts: 59

Yup, there is an Olympus OI app that should work with the cameras.... but only one camera at a time. If you change cameras you have to unpair the app and re-pair with the new camera. It's a real pain for those who have more than one Olympus body.....

CJAM's gear list:CJAM's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S80 Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 +9 more
Anders_K Contributing Member • Posts: 890

For cool pics take a Coolpix

if the gal is small, Micro Four Thirds

if you like her, Leica

otherwise Medium Format should do

if the bed is big, Full Frame

for virtual sex, Cybershot

for casual sex, Casio

if you are strong, Powershot

but most important: shoot Finepix

Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197

Fetishjames wrote:

Hello, i want to invest up to 350 dollars to buy a digital camera for erotic - fetish projects, i also need to control it through my mobilephone (self photographs with timer), which camera do you suggest to buy?

None. I recommend not spending $350 and just using your cell phone until you can buy, or decide to buy a more capable set up to record your erotica. My reasoning is that I think you'd be painfully disappointed when looking back on the shots that you took, if you ever move up to more capable gear.

I highly recommend putting the $350 toward a camera and kit lens, or better a camera and used high quality fast prime lens. I can't recommend a lens as I don't know what you're planning on shooting, but assuming you're shooting indoors, a fast used 35mm lens may be very useful while providing you an aesthetically pleasing result.

Should i go with a dslr or a good compact camera does the job for an amateur like me? I am not a professional photographer, i am an artist that wants to experiment with photography, thanks!

I do not advocate shooting artistic work that has any real value to you with a compact camera, unless shooting it on a compact camera gives the kind of results that you're actually looking to achieve.

... Otherwise, I must say I have to agree with the poster Anders_K  ... (tongue in cheek of course)

Best in luck with your project and best in photography to all of you!

-- hide signature --

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,680

If your projects includes videos,

then you'll also maybe need 4K.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Trash-talker won't rule us! ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon PowerShot SX70
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,680

Fetishjames wrote:

One thought for you is "Hero 8 Black",

which have improved audio (see video),

and falls within the price range you asked.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Trash-talker won't rule us! ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon PowerShot SX70
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 17,819

This one:

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,210

Fetishjames wrote:

Tricky as lighting will be an issue indoors. The budget is challenging and suggests used (but from a reputable dealer) and a compact camera.

Maybe a DMC-ZS100 (sub $400 new right now, with a free SD card) and a tripod?
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs100-tz100
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244402-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_zs100_digital_camera.html

I'd see what your friends have and how it works for you, plus what things annoy you, before splashing out.

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,346
One that doesn't embarrass easily.

n/t

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads