Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
carlos roncatti
carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
1

why do i still insist on Fujifilm?

long story short ...i owned a F10, XF1, XQ1, S100fs, X-E1 and X-pro1

F10 and X-e1 worked till i have sold them

XF1 - stuck lens aperture at largest aperture, money refund

XQ1 and S100fs both with severe lens decentering

X-Pro 1 simply dead...no sign of life...i would say in mint condition, very little use....

AND now, im thinking of buying a used x-t1 in very good conditions, since i still have fuji lenses (lens actually, sold the 23mm)...here in Brasil prices are totally crazy (the usd conversion exploded)

Am i risking myself to go the same path as with the x-pro1?

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 947
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

 SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,308
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
3

Hi,

It's all personal.  I've had the same XT1 since they were released in 2014.  About 30K shots and it's never missed a beat.  They have been superseded in sensor resolution and AF capability.  If you can live with 16mpx they're fine.  They're not as good as  later models in AF speed and they're totally outclassed in focus tracking.  So if you're into birds in flight or fast action sports, the XT1 may not be the best choice.  On the other hand they do almost everything else well.

They were a very reliable camera.  They do have two foibles that might be present in a used one....

  • The leatherette/rubber tends to loosen,  bulge and potentially peel in old age.  It is replaceable, though the replacement leatherette presumably suffers the same fate in time.  The issue is cosmetic - it doesn't stop the camera working.
  • The early production run model had a tiny light leak that occurred in very rare circumstances.  It occurred when you had the left port door open and used very long shutter speeds (30+ secs) in bright light.  The only chance of this happening was (say) if you were using a strong ND filter to 'slow' a waterfall with the door open to plug in  a remote cable release.  Fuji was fixing them for free - I had mine done - but I don't know if that's still the case.  I doubt most people even knew about it or would have ever come across it.  It's supposed to have been fixed in later production runs.

I guess you always take some risk buying a used camera, but they were a good model.

Hope that all helps.

Regards,

Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +16 more
Peter Daves
Peter Daves Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
1

Sad about your S100fs. I still have mine but it was sidelined for a while after I bought a Sony a3000 (body only) .......... just to resurrect all my old MF SLR lenses (mostly Konica). It still works well but, earlier this year, having missed using Fuji too much, I treated myself to a new X-T20 and an XF 18-55mm lens. I am so happy with that choice and love being back with what Fuji does with jpegs

-- hide signature --
 Peter Daves's gear list:Peter Daves's gear list
A3000 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS +21 more
jrk
jrk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,171
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
2

If you can get your hands on an X-T2 I would recommend that if the price is tolerable.  For me the X-T2 felt like a major upgrade over the X-T1.

-- hide signature --

We all have wings
Some of us don't know why
-INXS-

 jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H1 +12 more
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,002
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
1

now, im thinking of buying a used x-t1 in very good conditions

Push a bit harder, search a bit harder, and get an X-T2.

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

It's all personal. I've had the same XT1 since they were released in 2014. About 30K shots and it's never missed a beat. They have been superseded in sensor resolution and AF capability. If you can live with 16mpx they're fine. They're not as good as later models in AF speed and they're totally outclassed in focus tracking. So if you're into birds in flight or fast action sports, the XT1 may not be the best choice. On the other hand they do almost everything else well.

They were a very reliable camera. They do have two foibles that might be present in a used one....

  • The leatherette/rubber tends to loosen, bulge and potentially peel in old age. It is replaceable, though the replacement leatherette presumably suffers the same fate in time. The issue is cosmetic - it doesn't stop the camera working.
  • The early production run model had a tiny light leak that occurred in very rare circumstances. It occurred when you had the left port door open and used very long shutter speeds (30+ secs) in bright light. The only chance of this happening was (say) if you were using a strong ND filter to 'slow' a waterfall with the door open to plug in a remote cable release. Fuji was fixing them for free - I had mine done - but I don't know if that's still the case. I doubt most people even knew about it or would have ever come across it. It's supposed to have been fixed in later production runs.

I guess you always take some risk buying a used camera, but they were a good model.

Hope that all helps.

Regards,

Rod

Thanks Rod, i really dont want to go through a bad experience with fuji again. Thanks for all the info

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Peter Daves wrote:

Sad about your S100fs. I still have mine but it was sidelined for a while after I bought a Sony a3000 (body only) .......... just to resurrect all my old MF SLR lenses (mostly Konica). It still works well but, earlier this year, having missed using Fuji too much, I treated myself to a new X-T20 and an XF 18-55mm lens. I am so happy with that choice and love being back with what Fuji does with jpegs

i really like fuji, but im thinking that i am might be better off with a second generation by what people say

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

jrk wrote:

If you can get your hands on an X-T2 I would recommend that if the price is tolerable. For me the X-T2 felt like a major upgrade over the X-T1.

im thinking about that too...

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 947
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

You can order a used X-T2 for about 550 through eBay. How much taxes/customs would you be charged for that?

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

 SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Peter Daves
Peter Daves Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

carlos roncatti wrote:

Peter Daves wrote:

Sad about your S100fs. I still have mine but it was sidelined for a while after I bought a Sony a3000 (body only) .......... just to resurrect all my old MF SLR lenses (mostly Konica). It still works well but, earlier this year, having missed using Fuji too much, I treated myself to a new X-T20 and an XF 18-55mm lens. I am so happy with that choice and love being back with what Fuji does with jpegs

i really like fuji, but im thinking that i am might be better off with a second generation by what people say

The X-T20 has the same 24mp sensor as the X-T2, which is next gen to the X-T1 that you were considering.  Might be worth considering.

-- hide signature --
 Peter Daves's gear list:Peter Daves's gear list
A3000 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS +21 more
carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

SpeedyNeo wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

You can order a used X-T2 for about 550 through eBay. How much taxes/customs would you be charged for that?

It would double the value πŸ˜’

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Peter Daves wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

Peter Daves wrote:

Sad about your S100fs. I still have mine but it was sidelined for a while after I bought a Sony a3000 (body only) .......... just to resurrect all my old MF SLR lenses (mostly Konica). It still works well but, earlier this year, having missed using Fuji too much, I treated myself to a new X-T20 and an XF 18-55mm lens. I am so happy with that choice and love being back with what Fuji does with jpegs

i really like fuji, but im thinking that i am might be better off with a second generation by what people say

The X-T20 has the same 24mp sensor as the X-T2, which is next gen to the X-T1 that you were considering. Might be worth considering.

yep, but i find the x-t20 too small for the 18-55mm

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

one blind eye
one blind eye Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....
1

carlos roncatti wrote:

why do i still insist on Fujifilm?

long story short ...i owned a F10, XF1, XQ1, S100fs, X-E1 and X-pro1

F10 and X-e1 worked till i have sold them

XF1 - stuck lens aperture at largest aperture, money refund

XQ1 and S100fs both with severe lens decentering

X-Pro 1 simply dead...no sign of life...i would say in mint condition, very little use....

AND now, im thinking of buying a used x-t1 in very good conditions, since i still have fuji lenses (lens actually, sold the 23mm)...here in Brasil prices are totally crazy (the usd conversion exploded)

Am i risking myself to go the same path as with the x-pro1?

Yes.

 one blind eye's gear list:one blind eye's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN-F Leica M10-R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +16 more
loseseeker Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

That is still quite expensive....I've got myself an Used XT1 about a months ago for USD $294 Graphite silver edition with very good condition and Shutter count less than 12k.

carlos roncatti
OP carlos roncatti Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

loseseeker wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

That is still quite expensive....I've got myself an Used XT1 about a months ago for USD $294 Graphite silver edition with very good condition and Shutter count less than 12k.

yep, it's the downside of living in a third world country

-- hide signature --

To understand photography, you must understand that the experience must be much more important than the result ....
Carlos Roncatti Bomfim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyeCYthMbd0
http://www.weweh.com/carlos

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,601
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Hi,

Who knows if you would get another dog or not. To buy used from someone you don't know is always a risk.

I think that the X-Pro1 or Pro2 are a safer bet than the X-T1. I had a X-T1 and while it worked fine the SD card door bent and the rubber camera off. I had no issues whatsoever with my X-Pro1 and now X-Pro2.

In general Fuji cameras are very reliable and I shot thousands if images in all kind of climates around the world with no issues at all beside the stuck aperture failure on my very first Fuji the X100 in 2010 which got replaced by Fuji free of charge.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Felice62 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,498
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

You can order a used X-T2 for about 550 through eBay. How much taxes/customs would you be charged for that?

It would double the value πŸ˜’

ith that kind of taxation you might as well just fly over to the states or Europe, visit for awhile, buy the camera you want and take it back home...

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

 Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 +26 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,601
Re: Am i the definition of a Fuji fan or....

Felice62 wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

carlos roncatti wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Just curious, how much are you going to pay for that used X-T1?

hi there! about 450 usd

You can order a used X-T2 for about 550 through eBay. How much taxes/customs would you be charged for that?

It would double the value πŸ˜’

ith that kind of taxation you might as well just fly over to the states or Europe, visit for awhile, buy the camera you want and take it back home...

Where have you been the last 10 months because it sure wasn't planet earth.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads