Is this sharp photo?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
cx5bc Forum Member • Posts: 58
Is this sharp photo?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this is considered in general a sharp photo? In focus, blurr and center lens sharpness. I think so but wanted to hear your comments. Thanks a lot.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,975
Re: Is this sharp photo?

There are lens charts for that but you can also get a good idea if you pin an open newspaper to that pence and take a photo of it. pick 2 pages with lots of writing .

(keep the lens parallel to it)

PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this is considered in general a sharp photo? In focus, blurr and center lens sharpness. I think so but wanted to hear your comments. Thanks a lot.

I suggest rubbing your fingers on the photo ... IF you get "splinters" ... it was "SHARP".

Seriously, it seems reasonably sharp to me on my basic monitor.

OP cx5bc Forum Member • Posts: 58

Thanks for replies.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

Seems pretty sharp for whatever lens you are using.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,975

JasonTheBirder wrote:

Seems pretty sharp for whatever lens you are using.

Place your mouse poiner over the photo.

BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

It’s so blurry the screw heads look like squares 😜

I’m just on an old iPhone, but the focus looks very good from here.

Keep on shootin’ bro.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,374

BadExample wrote:

That's a Canadian problem.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more

Leonard Migliore wrote:

BadExample wrote:

Thus the gentle jab to our good friends in the Great White North πŸ™‚ God bless them and their square screw heads!

mek42 Regular Member • Posts: 174

BadExample wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

BadExample wrote:

Thus the gentle jab to our good friends in the Great White North πŸ™‚ God bless them and their square screw heads!

Square drive is amazing for wood screws.

mek42's gear list:mek42's gear list
Nikon D2Hs

mek42 wrote:

BadExample wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

BadExample wrote:

Square drive is amazing for wood screws.

Yes, so are pretty much all of the other screw head types, but some take some skill in identification. They just were not designed for stupid people. PZ, PH, JIS, etc. can all handle the torque/spec. Problem is most are ignorant of size, much less type. Square drive also comes in up to at least 1” male and female. I hope most can at least tell the difference between M and F, but these are freaky times brother!

Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,316

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Focus/sharpness looks excellent to me right across the frame.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,874

Horacecoker wrote:

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

I would say "acceptable" rather than "excellent".

Try some shots at higher shutter speeds and wider apertures, such as 1/800 at f/4. Also try flash.

Don Cox

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,316

D Cox wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

I would say "acceptable" rather than "excellent".

Try some shots at higher shutter speeds and wider apertures, such as 1/800 at f/4. Also try flash.

I don't understand why you think the OP needs to think about shooting at 1/800s to obtain a sharp photo with a 100mm (200mm equivalent) focal length lens? The shutter speed used of 1/400s is more than adequate to keep camera shake at bay. Especially considering that the lens is rated at 5 stops image stabilisation and the body a whopping 6-5 stops of IS.

Imaging Resource have this to say:

"More impressively, at 100mm, the 12-100mm displays fantastic stabilization performance. As you can see in the following graph, Rob managed a mere 10% keeper rate for "Acceptable" shots at 1/15s with stabilization disabled, which is an extremely slow shutter speed to be using at 100mm (200mm eq.). With Sync I.S. enabled, however, Rob not only managed a 100% keeper rate at 1/15s, but also 100% all the way down to 1/4s. The lens also managed to hit a 30% "Good" keeper rate at 1-second!"

Your suggestion of shooting the lens wide open at f/4 for increased sharpness also makes no sense to me. Normally you would stop down at least one stop with the vast majority of lenses to get a shaper result which is exactly what the OP did. According to photographyblog's review, the sweet spot of the lens seems to be somewhere between f/5.6 - f/8 and at f/4 it is noted to be soft!

"At 100mm focal length centre sharpness is soft wide open at f/4, with peak performance achieved at f/5.6-f/8. Diffraction kicks in at f/16 and gets worse at f/22. The corners aren't very sharp at f/4, with the best performance at f/5.6-f/11."

Your third suggestion of resorting to flash in broad daylight is also mystifying to me. It's probably the last thing the OP want's to do. Especially as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the image sharpness and focus when viewed at 100%, to my eyes at least. Of course, It could be made a sharper in post but I believe the image is an OOC jpeg with no additional in-camera sharpening.

Don Cox

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,419

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

It looks quite sharp to me - not super sharp but certainly nothing to worry about. In fact, for a superzoom lens at its maximum focal length I'm surprised it's as sharp as it is.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Andersonm Contributing Member • Posts: 522

As sharp as can be expected from a good zoom lens and a good sensor.

But you're really at the fine edge of sharpness here, where marginal sharpness differences come from a number of factors. It's possible that a sharp, good prime lens could be marginally sharper.

edit: sorry, should have been a reply to OP

Andersonm's gear list:Andersonm's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,376
How sharp do you need it?

What are you photographing, and how sharp do you need it? I assume that this photo is just a test and not your normal subject, but the sharpness looks adequate.

Some subjects do not respond well to excessive sharpness, and this may be too sharp for beauty portraiture.  What do you plan on photographing?

But if you do want a sharper image, I would suggest adding sharpening; this setting in your camera is set to zero. An even better practice, but more inconvenient, is adding sharpening on the computer after you resize the image to your final needed size.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 766

Leonard Migliore wrote:

BadExample wrote:

Better than phillips at any rate...  Or the dreaded slot drive.

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +3 more
OP cx5bc Forum Member • Posts: 58

Hi thanks again for the inputs and about square screws.

Maybe I am not holding well when I shoot. I thought this lenses would produce sharper images, so I was asking if this is excellent, good or adequate.

I can retake a photo if anyone can point me what to do next.

Thanks again.

Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 766

cx5bc wrote:

Hi thanks again for the inputs and about square screws.

Maybe I am not holding well when I shoot. I thought this lenses would produce sharper images, so I was asking if this is excellent, good or adequate.

I can retake a photo if anyone can point me what to do next.

Thanks again.

For an uncropped image the sharpness is totally adequate.  To get a little more sharpness try stopping down your aperture to f/8. Also, if you wish to remove the possibility of human error put your camera on a tripod, and take the photo with either a remote, a delayed exposure or live view.

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads