10-30 Anyone?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
geoson Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
10-30 Anyone?

Browsing in L-Mount land, the 20-60 kit lens may be the first S lens, if not the first product, to create envy among users of other brands.  I’ve seen more than a few “please (other brand) make a lens like this.  Would you like to see a m43 10-30 “kit” lens?  Would a kit lens starting at 20mm equivalent create some juice for Panasonic and m43?

geoson's gear list:geoson's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
James Pilcher
James Pilcher Forum Pro • Posts: 10,492
8-25mm f/4 Pro for me

geoson wrote:

Browsing in L-Mount land, the 20-60 kit lens may be the first S lens, if not the first product, to create envy among users of other brands. I’ve seen more than a few “please (other brand) make a lens like this. Would you like to see a m43 10-30 “kit” lens? Would a kit lens starting at 20mm equivalent create some juice for Panasonic and m43?

I’m still waiting for the 8-25mm f/4 Pro that’s rumored. I’m becoming increasingly skeptical that it will appear. If I cannot have that, a 10-30mm f/4 Pro will suffice.

I know that a Pro lens is not in the realm of kit lenses that you are talking about. I am so spoiled by Pro zooms that I am not inclined to look at non-Pro (or non-Leica) zooms.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +14 more
cc99 Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: 8-25mm f/4 Pro for me

James Pilcher wrote:

I’m still waiting for the 8-25mm f/4 Pro that’s rumored. I’m becoming increasingly skeptical that it will appear.

Added to official roadmap on September 15th.  We'll see what JIP does.

cc99's gear list:cc99's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +26 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,627
Excellent suggestion

If it could be in P (f/3.5 or f/4 ~ f/5.6 version) and PL (f/2 8~4 version), so one smaller and one larger at 2 price tag.

I would buy one to replace my 12~35.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Re: 10-30 Anyone?

It wouldn't surprise me to see the GH6 bundled with the 10-30. To be honest I was disappointed to find out the G100 was bundled with the 12-32 lens. I was hoping the G100 would be bundled with a new lens like a 10mm prime lens or a zoom starting around 10mm.

My only concern is Panasonic already make the 8-18mm 2.8-4 and the 12-35mm 2.8. So making a pro 10-30mm may cannibalise the sales of the other two lenses. However if the successor to the G9 comes with such a lens then I would consider getting it. However, I think it make more sense for the 10-30 would be package with the GH6 because I got a stinking feeling Vlogging will be a big selling point for the camera.

OM mani padme hum Regular Member • Posts: 318

If the two lenses on Olympus' latest roadmap actually appear I'll be surprised and impressed. Given there have been no pics and the macro doesn't even have a definite focal length my expectation is that these are in the early design stages, and whether they progress past there will presumably be up to JIP. The system is pretty mature and complete as is, so any new products from Oly or Pany will be both a surprise and a bonus. An ultrawide AF prime might be nice, but what else is really missing?

tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,341
Re: 8-25mm f/4 Pro for me

James Pilcher wrote:

geoson wrote:

Browsing in L-Mount land, the 20-60 kit lens may be the first S lens, if not the first product, to create envy among users of other brands. I’ve seen more than a few “please (other brand) make a lens like this. Would you like to see a m43 10-30 “kit” lens? Would a kit lens starting at 20mm equivalent create some juice for Panasonic and m43?

I’m still waiting for the 8-25mm f/4 Pro that’s rumored. I’m becoming increasingly skeptical that it will appear. If I cannot have that, a 10-30mm f/4 Pro will suffice.

I know that a Pro lens is not in the realm of kit lenses that you are talking about. I am so spoiled by Pro zooms that I am not inclined to look at non-Pro (or non-Leica) zooms.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

Me too.

Do they have an ETA on the Olympus 8-25mm F4?

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,416
Was available a few years back

Panasonic had a product called DMC-GWC1, which was a wide angle converter for their 14mm prime and 14-42 pancake powerzoom. I believe the result was something like 10.5-32mm zoom. Something along those lines.

Of course Panasonic being Panasonic, they soon lost interest in selling that to people, and the only way to get for the past couple of years is to stalk ebay for a few weeks in hopes it pops up (quite often those offered for sale are missing adapter ring or two needed to actually use it, though).

But yes, a kit zoom starting at around 10mm would be nice for an affordable camera aimed at vloggers, where a wider angle comes useful.

But for me, I want the 8-25 PRO that I hope will come next year. If it's of similar quality and bulk like the excellent 12-45, all the better.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
AndyH44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,292

OM mani padme hum wrote:

If the two lenses on Olympus' latest roadmap actually appear I'll be surprised and impressed. Given there have been no pics and the macro doesn't even have a definite focal length my expectation is that these are in the early design stages, and whether they progress past there will presumably be up to JIP. The system is pretty mature and complete as is, so any new products from Oly or Pany will be both a surprise and a bonus. An ultrawide AF prime might be nice, but what else is really missing?

How about some weather sealed f1.8 primes under $500?  Now that would please me!

-- hide signature --

"True craftsmen never blame their tools, but strive to use them properly"

AndyH44's gear list:AndyH44's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-PL7 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,410

I own a 10-30mm, but it's for the Nikon 1 system :-(.

The Panasonic 20-60mm is intriguing, because I believe it's the first lens for the 24x36mm format to cover both 20mm and 50mm.  But I'll take a hard look at the 8-24mm, even if it means giving up IBIS on my Panasonic body.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +42 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,627
Re: Was available a few years back

Astrotripper wrote:

Panasonic had a product called DMC-GWC1, which was a wide angle converter for their 14mm prime and 14-42 pancake powerzoom. I believe the result was something like 10.5-32mm zoom. Something along those lines.

Really forget this...

I do not own the GWC1, but back to the old day (for my LC5 and FZ30) I bought the LW55 (0.8x wide angle converter) and LW52 (0.7x wide angle converter) as well as a 3rd party 2.0x tele converter...

Through setdown rings I could screw them on most of my lenses. Although these expensive (in their days, were around US$150+ 14~16+ years ago) converters will not affect the original IQ of the lenses, they are heavy (metal and real glass), huge and inconvenience to screw on/off.

0.7x converter on 14 by 55mm--> 52mm --> 46mm step down rings to become 9.8

0.7x converter on 12-32 to become 8.4 ~ 22.4 by 55mm-->52mm-->37mm step down rings, but the converter is a few time heavier than the 70g lens. I always worry that this setup might break the lens.

Of course Panasonic being Panasonic, they soon lost interest in selling that to people, and the only way to get for the past couple of years is to stalk ebay for a few weeks in hopes it pops up (quite often those offered for sale are missing adapter ring or two needed to actually use it, though).

But yes, a kit zoom starting at around 10mm would be nice for an affordable camera aimed at vloggers, where a wider angle comes useful.

But for me, I want the 8-25 PRO that I hope will come next year. If it's of similar quality and bulk like the excellent 12-45, all the better.

On the ultra wide side, I am happy with the 7-14 f/4 or PL 8-18 f/2.8-4 on the size.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,980

The 11-22/2.8-3.5 was my kit zoom substitute for the E-series, which I really enjoyed for its wide capabilities if obviously missing reach. The 12-60 SWD's debut bumped that from the bag.

I think the 10-25 is an awfully nice option along those lines, made even better being constant aperture.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OP geoson Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

Skeeterbytes wrote:

The 11-22/2.8-3.5 was my kit zoom substitute for the E-series, which I really enjoyed for its wide capabilities if obviously missing reach. The 12-60 SWD's debut bumped that from the bag.

I think the 10-25 is an awfully nice option along those lines, made even better being constant aperture.

Cheers,

Rick

The 10-25 is a great lens, but not a kit lens.  I doubt that any zoom lens starting at f/1.7 will have a kit price.

Samsung TL500 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,980

geoson wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

The 10-25 is a great lens, but not a kit lens. I doubt that any zoom lens starting at f/1.7 will have a kit price.

True, and TBF a zoom starting at 10mm won't either. Getting that extra angle of view won't be a trivial task.

My favorite 135-format WA prime is a 21/2.8 Biogon, so I understand the appeal. The Biogon is a rangefinder lens and its 21/2.8 Distagon SLR cousin is enormous by comparison. Retrofocus UWAs are much more comples.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Daiken Regular Member • Posts: 439

The panasonic 20-60 is very close to my ideal general purpose lens range. Ideal would be 8-25 f2.8 for mft (any extra length on top of that is also appreciated). I have the Panasonic 8-18 and it's good but I find it's just not sharp enough a lot of times when I'm at the long end. This lens is on my camera 60% of the time. The 10-25 is too expensive.

Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332
1025 1232

you got a 1025

and a 12-32 so you got close

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +3 more
OP geoson Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

“Kit price” might be relative to which body the lens is paired with.  Someone earlier suggested a 10-30 as a package with a new GH6.

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,793

I'd be more in favor of a mid-range 17-75ish zoom. My walk-around wanderings seldom extend into ultrawide terriroty. I'd accept a 10-30 option, for hikes into the deep wild

-- hide signature --

JimR near Cathlamet | granitix2.blogspot.com |

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads