What? No Film Fridays?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
What? No Film Fridays?

I was looking forward to new main page articles these last couple of weeks.  I guess Dpreview wants us to only buy new gear through Amazon.  At least there could be an article about film!

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
bobmcdonald Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: What? No Film Fridays?

You might just have to start a weekly column ....

bobmcdonald's gear list:bobmcdonald's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Parry Johnson
OP Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,899

bobmcdonald wrote:

You might just have to start a weekly column ....

I was afraid somebody might say that!

Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
bobmcdonald Regular Member • Posts: 125

Have no fear! I know that you would do just fine.

bobmcdonald's gear list:bobmcdonald's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,045

Parry Johnson wrote:

I was looking forward to new main page articles these last couple of weeks. I guess Dpreview wants us to only buy new gear through Amazon. At least there could be an article about film!

35mmc is still there, with new articles every day.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,577

I visit 35mmc every day to see what's new.

But, to be honest, lately I've tended to view the Film format here much more than the other forums on here.

It was a great idea for DPR to embrace film a whole while ago but I hope they don't drop the idea as there are many folk here that enjoy both digital and film.

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +36 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

davesurrey wrote:

It was a great idea for DPR to embrace film a whole while ago but I hope they don't drop the idea as there are many folk here that enjoy both digital and film.

They're still interested. I've written a few film articles for DPR (and Kosmo and 35mmc) and haven't had time to do many recently, but they do still want them. I hope to have a few more coming soon, if work relents a bit. (Right now unrelenting work is a good problem to have.)

Anyone have ideas for topics they'd like to see covered?

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Parry Johnson

Autonerd wrote:

Anyone have ideas for topics they'd like to see covered?

You've done a fantastic job so far -- I've read some of your articles.

I'd love to see more about affordable roll-film cameras (provided, of course that film could be found!)  I've had to re-spool 120 onto a 620 spool for some cameras or holders.  That's a good article in itself that hasn't been done to my knowledge.

Another good article might be about Graflock film holders for view/tech cameras (but used prices will skyrocket -- maybe a general article about Speed Graphics (I had a Mini that took 120 film -- should have kept it).

Maybe an article about 3D-printed accessories or parts to bring an older camera back to life (F2 flash adapter, bellows attachments, T/S adapters, neg holders, roll film spools / adapters)

What about the "not so popular" SLR brands like Mamiya, Yashica, Fujica, Topcon, Zenit (or Honeywell, Bell and Howell, or Cosina that work with other common mounts)?

I'm not a collector, but some might want to read about the "ridiculous" leather-wrapped or gold-plated special edition cameras or lenses that were popular in the 80's.  Heck, we could do a parody and showcase a pink fun-fur-wrapped D6 with 500 mm lens or metallic blue spray-painted A7 as an April Fools prank.

Anyway, these are some ideas sofar.

The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

I would love to write a column here.  I contacted them about a couple of different ideas but never heard back.   I am chomping at the bit to write more.  If anyone here knows some of the guys who run DP now, tell them I am open to sharing some ideas with them.  I am not a professional photographer by any means, but I have some entertaining writing chops no matter what I write about and have a huge interest in NON mainstream gear etc.

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Parry Johnson

kojack wrote:

I would love to write a column here. I contacted them about a couple of different ideas but never heard back. I am chomping at the bit to write more. If anyone here knows some of the guys who run DP now, tell them I am open to sharing some ideas with them. I am not a professional photographer by any means, but I have some entertaining writing chops no matter what I write about and have a huge interest in NON mainstream gear etc.

Everybody's cutting back these days, and I'm sure this site is also one that would rather pay writers that promote newer, more expensive products -- that's the way it's always been, I suppose.

However, when it comes to film photography, it's often for the love or creativity, not just making money; and I'm in that category, too.

All that said, I simply don't have the time to write the articles I want to do, especially if it's for free.  It's a sad fact that photographers are often taken advantage, and writers close behind!

The Point and Shoot Pro

Parry Johnson wrote:

kojack wrote:

I would love to write a column here. I contacted them about a couple of different ideas but never heard back. I am chomping at the bit to write more. If anyone here knows some of the guys who run DP now, tell them I am open to sharing some ideas with them. I am not a professional photographer by any means, but I have some entertaining writing chops no matter what I write about and have a huge interest in NON mainstream gear etc.

Everybody's cutting back these days, and I'm sure this site is also one that would rather pay writers that promote newer, more expensive products -- that's the way it's always been, I suppose.

However, when it comes to film photography, it's often for the love or creativity, not just making money; and I'm in that category, too.

All that said, I simply don't have the time to write the articles I want to do, especially if it's for free. It's a sad fact that photographers are often taken advantage, and writers close behind!

I would write for the sheer joy of it really.  I have a few ideas,  and if test equipment was shipped,  I would return after it was done.  I am not doing it to be paid.

Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,045

kojack wrote:

Contact Hamish over at 35mmc...

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

Bob Janes wrote:

kojack wrote:

I agree -- if you can't get traction here, try Hamish at 35mmc and Stephen Dowling at Kosmo Foto (he pays in Kosmo Mono film!). Getting published elsewhere may help here -- that's what got them interested in me. (I actually have to finish a review for Kosmo.)

I haven't done anything with FStoppers, but having read the film-related stuff they've done differently ... well, clearly they could use some help. I haven't reached out to them because I'm very happy with my association with DPR.

I don't think many places are looking for new-gear reviews, they seem to prefer to do that stuff in-house, but DPR (as you've seen) has bought several opinion and how-to pieces from me. IF you don't hear back, remember they probably get a lot of solicitations... I am employed by a publication in the non-photography field and my inbox is filled with PR pitches, most of them irrelevant.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
The Point and Shoot Pro

Autonerd wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

kojack wrote:

I agree -- if you can't get traction here, try Hamish at 35mmc and Stephen Dowling at Kosmo Foto (he pays in Kosmo Mono film!). Getting published elsewhere may help here -- that's what got them interested in me. (I actually have to finish a review for Kosmo.)

I haven't done anything with FStoppers, but having read the film-related stuff they've done differently ... well, clearly they could use some help. I haven't reached out to them because I'm very happy with my association with DPR.

I don't think many places are looking for new-gear reviews, they seem to prefer to do that stuff in-house, but DPR (as you've seen) has bought several opinion and how-to pieces from me. IF you don't hear back, remember they probably get a lot of solicitations... I am employed by a publication in the non-photography field and my inbox is filled with PR pitches, most of them irrelevant.

Aaron

Cool,  thank you for the tips.  My ideas are actually not really regarding "new" stuff per se.  More of a love of different things and would love to do some columns about it, showing a different side of photography.   I love writing, I would LOVE to get paid to do it.  Taking photographs go along with that.  I have had one of my articles published in outdoorx4 magazine website.  Film is just one thing I am interested in, and maybe a complete new comer to the genre would give some different insights to the medium.

The articles I want to write for the digital photography side of things are different than most would look at as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads