Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,340
maybe you should start a company
6

You know, makes millions off your wisdom.

Did you know that all those batteries articles and patents and research are mostly academic chest puffing and nowhere near reality? Professors gotta publish and all that.

You're not even using common sense. If any one university, any company, had a working miracle battery, they'd patent it and start producing it, making billions. Are you one of those guys who thinks Detroit has been hiding the secret invention that allows cars to run on water for fifty years?

Have you even thought what you're asking for? Present day lithiums can explode, start fires, and are banned from certain types of transport. And now, you want something 10X more powerful so you can get 10,000 photos from your camera instead of 1000? Oh, the agony, the pain, of having to charge your phone every few days.

<shakes head sadly>

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
7

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

 ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

ChuckB wrote:

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

Are you a sheeple? They are spending millions of dollars in research so they can avoid improving their product so they can make millions of dollars selling us the same products that we don't need to upgrade...

ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
2

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

Are you a sheeple? They are spending millions of dollars in research so they can avoid improving their product so they can make millions of dollars selling us the same products that we don't need to upgrade...

I'll bet a nickle that without a smiley face on your post somebody is going to think you're serious.

 ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
MHshooter
OP MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed.  Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,506
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed. Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

We must, otherwise how are they holding us in "The Dark Ages"?

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

 GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K20D Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +8 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,274
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
3

The basic fallacy in your argument is in that there is no monopoly in battery manufacturing .

To the contrary there are several large companiies that all try their best to dominate the market. So if there was an easy way to make a battery that is much better than what we have ,it would be on sale already.

The same for camera manufacturers , the first to have a battery that last 5 or 10 times longer would have a large advantage over their competitors.

In fact, for one, Panasonic is heavily into battery manufacturing. That was a major reason for buying Sanyo. They would be their own customer with cameras and gadgets that could make use of them. So why don't they do it ?

lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

ChuckB wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

Are you a sheeple? They are spending millions of dollars in research so they can avoid improving their product so they can make millions of dollars selling us the same products that we don't need to upgrade...

I'll bet a nickle that without a smiley face on your post somebody is going to think you're serious.

You think I am not serious?!!! You must be standing too close to the 5G towers whilst being doused by chemtrails and drinking fluoridated water after you left your flat without your hat.

AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,776
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed. Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

"Batteries"? What are these "batteries" you speak of?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

 AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,274
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

Are you a sheeple? They are spending millions of dollars in research so they can avoid improving their product so they can make millions of dollars selling us the same products that we don't need to upgrade...

I'll bet a nickle that without a smiley face on your post somebody is going to think you're serious.

You think I am not serious?!!! You must be standing too close to the 5G towers whilst being doused by chemtrails and drinking fluoridated water after you left your flat without your hat.

contrails, that is what does it.

MHshooter
OP MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed. Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

We must, otherwise how are they holding us in "The Dark Ages"?

I can understand it.  There has been no substantive improvement in 10 years but every time they do improve performance, their sales inevitably fall, as they must.  So i can see why nothing is happening.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,274
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

" So i can see why nothing is happening."

No , the problem is that you don't see and can't see.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,141
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed. Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

We must, otherwise how are they holding us in "The Dark Ages"?

I can understand it. There has been no substantive improvement in 10 years but every time they do improve performance, their sales inevitably fall, as they must. So i can see why nothing is happening.

There are larger markets for rechargeable batteries than cameras. Think phones, computers, vehicles, lighting to name a few. It's unlikely there is a conspiracy by all manufacturers and research organizations to hold back development as you believe.

Cheers,
Doug

lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

FrancoD wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

Maybe you should do just a little googling before having a hissy fit.

However, Li-S batteries suffer from the electrochemical intermediates (polysulfides) dissolution, which causes poor cyclability and lithium anode corrosion, poor electronic conductivity, and significant volume change during cycling (Wang et al., 2014; Li et al., 2016).

But basically, research into batteries is ongoing and intensive, and the reason you don't see "better" batteries is not because an international cabal of criminal camera manufacturers is holding us back.

Are you a sheeple? They are spending millions of dollars in research so they can avoid improving their product so they can make millions of dollars selling us the same products that we don't need to upgrade...

I'll bet a nickle that without a smiley face on your post somebody is going to think you're serious.

You think I am not serious?!!! You must be standing too close to the 5G towers whilst being doused by chemtrails and drinking fluoridated water after you left your flat without your hat.

contrails, that is what does it.

Contrails is just the name They made up to distract us from the chemtrials.

It is in the very name.

lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

GossCTP wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

Did you know the lithium-ion battery is the worst of all tested battery formulas using lithium? It has 1/10th the power density of metallic lithium batteries. It is worse than sulfur-lithium, air-lithium. A regular camera battery of 1100mah using metallic lithium would have 11,000mah capacity. They've know this for almost TEN years. So why haven't they switched configurations?

Lead with a false statement in the form of a question and then imply a conspiracy in closing.

If they released such technology tomorrow what would you do? Would it change your life that you wouldn't need to charge your camera for two weeks? Or would you be less happy because you wouldn't have something to gripe about that cannot possible be fixed because it simply isn't true?

Yes, it "can't" be fixed. Which is why we all still use just carbon batteries, right?

We must, otherwise how are they holding us in "The Dark Ages"?

I can understand it. There has been no substantive improvement in 10 years but every time they do improve performance, their sales inevitably fall, as they must. So i can see why nothing is happening.

Yeah, poor batteries companies have been selling the same battery technology for a century. I hate it when my camera dies because I forgot to check the water levels in the battery

MHshooter
OP MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

FrancoD wrote:

" So i can see why nothing is happening."

No , the problem is that you don't see and can't see.

So tell me then why no substantive progress has been made in nearly a decade?  The batteries I had in DSLRs that long ago were as good or better in-terms of storage than the stuff I see now.  There have to be hundreds of companies, institutions working on this, I would assume, since battery technology gets more critical all the time.

MHshooter
OP MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

Follow-on. Here is an article on all the wonderful advances that are "just around the corner." I read this SAME stuff in an article dated 8 YEARS ago. It's all pie-in-the-sky, and no one seems to know why none of the hurdles can be crossed. It's like the farce that is hydrogen fuel cells. 50 years of work, and virtually no real progress. Or progress in cracking water using lower energies.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,673
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
2

MHshooter wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

" So i can see why nothing is happening."

No , the problem is that you don't see and can't see.

So tell me then why no substantive progress has been made in nearly a decade?

It has - 5-7% a year or so.

The batteries I had in DSLRs that long ago were as good or better in-terms of storage than the stuff I see now.

Nope...a bit worse.

10 years, 1865mAh vs 1390mAh, exact same size

Link

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

 Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +10 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages

MHshooter wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

" So i can see why nothing is happening."

No , the problem is that you don't see and can't see.

So tell me then why no substantive progress has been made in nearly a decade? The batteries I had in DSLRs that long ago were as good or better in-terms of storage than the stuff I see now. There have to be hundreds of companies, institutions working on this, I would assume, since battery technology gets more critical all the time.

One, cameras are asked to do more now in terms of processing, so one cannot make a direct comparison across time. Or, rather, one can, but it will be meaningless.

Two, lack of progress ≠ intention.

Three, no huge leaps ≠ no progress

Four, it is not uncommon for progress to be incremental as a technology becomes mature.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,274
Re: Why battery makers keep us in the Dark Ages
1

MHshooter wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

" So i can see why nothing is happening."

No , the problem is that you don't see and can't see.

So tell me then why no substantive progress has been made in nearly a decade? The batteries I had in DSLRs that long ago were as good or better in-terms of storage than the stuff I see now. There have to be hundreds of companies, institutions working on this, I would assume, since battery technology gets more critical all the time.

That bit well illustrate your lack of logical thinking.

You are not using the same camera and the same functions are you ?

Pretty easy to check, find the amperage of those batteries and compare them to the current ones.

BTW, the ice cream cones when I was a kid were not bigger, my hands were smaller and so was I.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads