Confused about Craig list

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,958
Confused about Craig list

I get questions about an item I put for sale from Craig list, so by replying to these messages, the Craig list server re-route the answer to them , correct?

One person is making a lower offer, is it expected?

There is no payment mediated by Craig list that I can see (like when selling on eBay). So I arrange for meeting with the buyer and do the sale, correct? Or is there another way? Does Craig list gets a commission and how?

Anything else I should be aware of?

-- hide signature --

Thierry - Craig list newbie 

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,422
Re: Confused about Craig list

TOF guy wrote:

I get questions about an item I put for sale from Craig list, so by replying to these messages, the Craig list server re-route the answer to them , correct?

Actual email addresses are not shown. You may be able to see their screen name though.

There will always be lowballers on any listing sites.

There is no payment mediated by Craig list that I can see (like when selling on eBay). So I arrange for meeting with the buyer and do the sale, correct?

Yes.

Or is there another way? Does Craig list gets a commission and how?

Not that I'm aware of. Meeting in person, in a safe public area, in daylight, is the best approach. I would not recommend shipping an item if the seller asks, as it could be a scam.

Craigslist does not get a commission.

You may get a lot of people who are interested, but never reply back, so don't anticipate much. They are basically reserving their "spot" just in case they actually want to purchase it. They ask first, do their research later and make a decision. Basically, don't wait for a potential buyer to reply back. Sell it to the first person who agrees to meet you in person. Even then, its not 100% sure they will actually come to meet you. You may waste a lot of time because of Craigslist "buyers".  In the listing, ask for interested people to reply with a phone number.  This may potentially save you time.  Use a VOIP number to call so that your actual number is not used.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Canada's version is "Kajiji" and I've sent payment via paypal (as "payment for goods" not "Payment from a friend") because it provides some protection against potential long-range fraud.

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

I have bought and sold quite a bit on craigslist. I have never and will never do a transaction other than face to face with cash!

There are a milion scammers on CL. Handing them the product after they hand you the cash is a pretty secure way not to be scammed.

There are thousands of stories of why they can't appear in person and how they are going to pay a higher than asking price or sell for less than market price if they can get around a face to face meeting. It is all BS, don't do it.

Face to face, product, cash [PERIOD] everything else IS just a scam.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +11 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

Craigslist - No shipping, no checks, no waiting. In person, cash. It's one of the best ways to buy and sell. No commissions to be paid by the seller and no taxes by the buyer. My Craigslist rules are - I don't answer texts because of too many bs questions. The key, like everywhere, exact description with excellent photos, I use email as initial contact which they don't see. You may get offers and you get to decide to take or counter. I picked up a lens on Craigslist today and it was 15 minutes from my house and a great experience.

I never meet anyone away from my home because they may not show.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Smaug01
Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,938
Locked, off-topic

A simple Google search would probably have answered all your questions, but in case it didn't, the first reply here did.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
OP TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,958
Thank you all for your advice

You may get a lot of people who are interested, but never reply back, so don't anticipate much.

Indeed I've got 5 replies so far - offering about ~20% less than I've asked for and I've made a counter-offer at ~10% less than the asking price. Nobody has ever replied so far!

In the listing, ask for interested people to reply with a phone number. This may potentially save you time. Use a VOIP number to call so that your actual number is not used.

I will try that.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Smaug01

TOF guy wrote:

Correct, it masks your email address.

Unfortunately, yes. They will low-ball even if you say: "price is firm." I gave up and price just a bit higher than what I want, so when the low-ballers show up, I can come down a bit and they feel like they whittled me down.

There is no payment mediated by Craig list that I can see (like when selling on eBay). So I arrange for meeting with the buyer and do the sale, correct?

Correct. Usually cash. I've also done it pre-pay through PayPal or deposit by PayPal, so I don't get ghosted. That happens too often. Speaking of which, don't be talked into meeting them halfway. That really stings when they ghost you.

Or is there another way?

There's Facebook Marketplace and ebay, both of which have in-person provisions that don't charge commission. I'd say Facebook Marketplace is more successful now. They have just started offering shipping and mediation, for which they want to charge a commission, but I'm not going for that. They want our financial info, and I don't think they can be trusted with it.

Does Craig list gets a commission and how?

No.

If selling something valuable, arrange the meeting in a secure place. I've used police station lobbies, and in fact, one local police department recommends this. The one I use most often is in front of a local convenience store, under scrutiny of a security camera. (helps prevent mugging)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
-Eric Hoffer

Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
* very useful info *

Thank you - greatly appreciated.

I'm staying away from eBay because I've heard that selling without prior positive feedback does not work very well.

-- hide signature --

MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Thank you all for your advice

TOF guy wrote:

You may get a lot of people who are interested, but never reply back, so don't anticipate much.

Indeed I've got 5 replies so far - offering about ~20% less than I've asked for and I've made a counter-offer at ~10% less than the asking price. Nobody has ever replied so far!

In the listing, ask for interested people to reply with a phone number. This may potentially save you time. Use a VOIP number to call so that your actual number is not used.

I will try that.

Some Craigslist respondents make Ebayer's look like sane, Rhodes scholars.  The nutjobs come out of the woodwork, knowing full-well they have no money and won't engage in any real transaction.  They just like to "talk" about stuff.

Smaug01
ebay is its own animal

TOF guy wrote:

Thank you - greatly appreciated.

I'm staying away from eBay because I've heard that selling without prior positive feedback does not work very well.

Well, it doesn't work well for selling a high value item, because a person with bad feedback will often just cancel that account and start a new one. --> no track record, but no negative feedback either!

The way to do it is start your account, then buy a few things. They can be small things. You will get positive feedback from sellers. It's not as valuable as feedback with YOU as the seller, but it is something.

Then, sell a few things of lesser value, so the risk is not as great. This will get you some positive feedback as a seller.

THEN, you can sell higher value items successfully.

Other Pros/Cons of selling on ebay:

+ HUGE audience; if you post it there, people will see it, and it is just up to you to price it correctly.

+ THE place to get the current, accurate market rate. As a registered member, you can search sold items to see what they're actually selling for.

- They take a pretty big commission; 10-12%. Then, if you use PayPal, they take another 3.5% or so. In other words, you have to pay something for that huge audience. Think of it as a consignment shop on a busy Manhattan street. That shop owner's got to pay the rent!

I've found that sometimes, ebay is the ONLY feasible way to sell something. For example, while going through some stuff the other day, I found a few 1985 vintage Lego booklets left over from my childhood. I wondered if there's a collector's market for things like that? Sure enough, they were selling for $5 or so. AND I would know that someone who really wants them would have them. So I bundled three of them, priced at $8 + ~$3 shipping by Media Mail and everyone is happy. I imagine some happy Lego collector somewhere has them proudly displayed.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
-Eric Hoffer

YWG Contributing Member • Posts: 898

TOF guy wrote:

There is no payment mediated by Craig list that I can see (like when selling on eBay). So I arrange for meeting with the buyer and do the sale, correct? Or is there another way? Does Craig list gets a commission and how?

Craplist...is best for face to face in your locale or whatever your tolerance is to travel. Don't do remote shipping or payments. Use some other ebay or other marketplaces for that.

E-mail that you provide is masked by a random string (well I think it is) of letters and numbers. When a buyer clicks on reply they will see something like this: f7cdb07sdkjdf903dsjdsjjkaskfsd0fsdabb@sale.craigslist.org

When they e-mail you, you will likewise see a similar craigslist like e-mail although their Alias may be visible like John Photoman adsasj232asdasd2332dsasdasddaasd2323@reply.craigslist.org   vs john.photoman@gmail/hotmail/.com etc.

You can e-mail back and forth in this "blind" address method. However, if you write your phone number, e-mail or address in the dialogue, or in the actual ad text, then it is not hidden.

You can also provide a phone number when you create the ad and tick to show it in the reply so people can text or phone you if you prefer.

The location you show on your ad can show your address or not and it will just show approximately on the map where based on your zip/postal code or where you adjust the map drop pin.

Payment - don't do distance, remote payments as that is how scams operate. I don't even like when people offer to do e-transfers, interac, email banking. I want cash. Our cash is multi colour, holograpm, plastic, transparent, and other features so I have a high confidence it is real. I can physically and visually verify I have cash in hand.

Do it in a safe place. That could be your house and drive if you want depending on your comfort. There are some horror stories of home invasion or assault...so use your judgement. I've done bank lobby as they want to cash it there or coffee shop but lately, I just host them in our lobby or just outside. Lots of foot traffic, lots of light and there are cameras. Do it in good light or time of day where lots of people are around. Bring a person with you to watch the general scene if you feel necessary.

CL requires a lot of patience. Sometimes I've had stuff be posted and bought within a few hours. Other times, it is a few days to a week and others, it goes a month or two without a bite. I have even had a couple of things that had no interest. Took a couple of reposts and nearly 6 months to sell. You have to do your comfort point if you just want to see a pawn shop or local camera store, ebay at that point...or it is just something nobody wants and you either hold, donate or recycle trash it.

You will get all kinds of behaviour on CL

-Buyer: Hey, I really want your lens or camera or xxxxx, I have $$$ now (half what you're asking) today lemme know!!!!!

-Hey, what's your lowest when you put an ad OBO. I just say make an offer

-Hey, I will offer you half.  me: No. Hey, I CAN GET IT EVEN BETTER at pawn shop, me: ok, sounds like an amazing deal go ahead.   HEY, I GOT THE MONEY, I AM HELPING YOU, SELLL HA

-how about this lowball offer (and I haven't had any interest). Me: I can meet you half way. Buyer: okay, how about lowball plus 5.

-me and buyer agree on price, provide very detailed photos, buyer gets there and all of sudden says it is in much worse condition and knocks off a bunch of money or says I didmn't bring the full amount. I usually say bank up the street or no but you have to be your own judge if nobody actually interested in it.

-hey, I'm on my way. Never shows up

-Hey, really interested in this lens, camera etc. Answer their questions  and then no response...or they come back a month later

-Hey, can you do this. Me: how about this . BUyer: sure and then follows up next day, hey gotta bail, hope you understand LOL....and then by coincidence, a person contacts you with the exact same writing style but different alias right at your agreed price as a further negotiation point.

Anyhow, do your price research. If someone can get it off ebay for less, they will so that is my first stop and check completions. Look at new ones, used ones at stores, pawn shops and same items on craigs and other classifieds. People are always going to offer lower even if you say firm so list a little higher if you want but mentally have a price you'd accept. Cash in hand vs dragging it out if there is little interest in the product is better than nothing.

Good Luck

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II

Thank you. That is very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Re: ebay is its own animal

Hi Jeremy

I've giving Craiglist and the facebook market place a bit more time, while I "set up" my feedback. Thank you for all the tips

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,171
Re: Confused about Craigslist

MHshooter wrote:

Canada's version is "Kajiji" and I've sent payment via paypal (as "payment for goods" not "Payment from a friend") because it provides some protection against potential long-range fraud.

Canada's version of Craigslist is still Craigslist. The Ebay owned site is Kijiji (means village) In Toronto, I use both, and have found and sold Nikon gear on Craigslist that either 1. I wouldn't get a bite on Kijiji on a "for sale" item or 2. Bought specific gear I wanted on Craigslist that wasn't cross posted on Kijiji. As most sellers of Nikon gear do.

I found in Toronto, and this is likely specific to Toronto, that if it's coming out of the downtown core, it's more likely to be on Craigslist.

To Thierry

As has been said, meet in person, always use cash, safe place. I prefer a McDonald's or Tim Horton's, but the more refined people prefer a Starbucks.

I never meet at home, I rarely take it outside of email communication, if someone says "hey call me or text me" I'll say that we are not at that point yet, and until we are email communication will work just fine. If that doesn't work - too bad. A lot of what I've bought and sold has been in the $3000 to $5000 range including complete packages of gear, which I take what I wanted and sell the rest.

You'll have to decide how rough your area is. I consider Toronto safe, but I do make sure no one is following me after I leave a meetup. If you are buying or selling $3000 to $5000 gear, it's a good assumption that you have more of same at home.

You will find most buyers and sellers are like yourself. Someone with photography interest that have a piece of gear they don't use or have GAS for something else. You should typically be able to tell through what's said in the email/s if the person has an understanding of cameras and camera gear.

If you get a reply from someone that wants to buy your "product", well that's not a good sign.

For me it's in person, safe place but not at home, cash only. If buying, I want the box, everything that came in the box, and a copy of the original receipt.

I would not sell anything (camera gear) on Ebay. Too many scams. And I have all positive feedback going back years. Reports are that Ebay always sides with the buyer, and it seems there are lots of crooked buyers, including fellows looking for a "free rental"

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads