Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

Hello all,

I’ve been debating switching systems from my Sony A7III for awhile now. Before that, I was completely invested into Fujifilm and absolutely loved it. But, I got lured into the Full Frame market with Sony, but just simply haven’t been as happy with it. It definitely has better the better AF, but to me, the Fuji was just a lot more fun to use.

With this in mind, I’ve been trying to decide if I want to switch to either a Nikon Z6II or a Canon R6. In either case, I’m not looking to get any of the PRO glass (f1.2-f1.4 primes of f2.8 zooms) right away, if at all. I was happy with the f1.2-f1.4 primes on my Fuji and don’t see why the f1.8-f2.0 primes and f4 zooms on full frame would be any different to me. I just can’t see spending $2000+ on a lens when I just do photography for fun.

With this in mind, I’ve been looking at the various prime lenses for both Nikon and Canon. Nikon has very excellent f1.8 lens selection to choose from wether it’s the 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm. The 50mm f1.8 S from Nikon is even DPreview’s highest rated lens right now. Subjective I know, but impressive none the less. But, Canon’s lenses in that range seem a bit odd to me. The 35mm f1.8 is a Macro lens...I’m curious if this affects its use as a environmental portrait lens? The newly announced 50mm f1.8 is a mere $199...how good is that going to actually be for such a cheap price? And the 85mm f2.0 is an odd aperture choice over a f1.8 isn’t it?

The 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm lenses are my “go-to” lenses. I use that range for about 95% of my portraits and other things I shoot. I’d like to add a 24mm as well, but I don’t think Canon  will have a cheap f1.8 version of that for some time. Based upon their current lineup, they’re more likely to go with a 24mm f1.2 pro lens first. Anyways, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with these lenses and can you recommend them?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,526
Re: Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

The Nikon 1.8 are S lenses. AKA pro grade.  On sale at the moment the 50mm is still more than twice the price of the Canon F/1.8 at full price.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,262

NickZ2016 wrote:

The Nikon 1.8 are S lenses. AKA pro grade. On sale at the moment the 50mm is still more than twice the price of the Canon F/1.8 at full price.

I would pay three or four times the price of a lens like that Nikon f/1.8 for the RF mount.

That RF 50mm f/1.8 has horrible bokeh. It lets in a bit more light than your zoom, and it's compact, and it's affordable. However, you can make a lens affordable, but if it hasn't good bokeh and it hasn't wide open sharpness stretching a bit further than the very very center, any buck on it would be spilled anyway, no matter how low the price would be.

That Nikon f/1.8 is absolutely stellar. With Canon you have to carry a heavy f/1.2 lens to get this quality. With Nikon you can have it in a compact and affordable option.

-- hide signature --

victory

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 918

thunder storm wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

The Nikon 1.8 are S lenses. AKA pro grade. On sale at the moment the 50mm is still more than twice the price of the Canon F/1.8 at full price.

I would pay three or four times the price of a lens like that Nikon f/1.8 for the RF mount.

That RF 50mm f/1.8 has horrible bokeh. It lets in a bit more light than your zoom, and it's compact, and it's affordable. However, you can make a lens affordable, but if it hasn't good bokeh and it hasn't wide open sharpness stretching a bit further than the very very center, any buck on it would be spilled anyway, no matter how low the price would be.

That Nikon f/1.8 is absolutely stellar. With Canon you have to carry a heavy f/1.2 lens to get this quality. With Nikon you can have it in a compact and affordable option.

Yes, I miss that Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S.  Fantastic lens when I had it.  Not sure yet I'll buy the RF 50mm f/1.8, though it's quite affordable otherwise.

Hoping Sigma will still come to RF mount with f/1.4 primes in the next year or two.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM

Smiller4128 wrote:

Hello all,

I’ve been debating switching systems from my Sony A7III for awhile now. Before that, I was completely invested into Fujifilm and absolutely loved it. But, I got lured into the Full Frame market with Sony, but just simply haven’t been as happy with it. It definitely has better the better AF, but to me, the Fuji was just a lot more fun to use.

With this in mind, I’ve been trying to decide if I want to switch to either a Nikon Z6II or a Canon R6. In either case, I’m not looking to get any of the PRO glass (f1.2-f1.4 primes of f2.8 zooms) right away, if at all. I was happy with the f1.2-f1.4 primes on my Fuji and don’t see why the f1.8-f2.0 primes and f4 zooms on full frame would be any different to me. I just can’t see spending $2000+ on a lens when I just do photography for fun.

With this in mind, I’ve been looking at the various prime lenses for both Nikon and Canon. Nikon has very excellent f1.8 lens selection to choose from wether it’s the 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm. The 50mm f1.8 S from Nikon is even DPreview’s highest rated lens right now. Subjective I know, but impressive none the less. But, Canon’s lenses in that range seem a bit odd to me. The 35mm f1.8 is a Macro lens...I’m curious if this affects its use as a environmental portrait lens?

I don't think this causes any problems really.

The newly announced 50mm f1.8 is a mere $199...how good is that going to actually be for such a cheap price?

Bad. Bad bokeh. Wide open it's sharp in the very center. If you want to do portraits with the subjects in the center only the sharpness is fine, however, if you like rule of thirds compositions it's not good enough or you have to stop down.  But beside sharpness, for portraits you will always have that bad bokeh. In my opinion it's a lens you should skip, unless you're on a budget.

And the 85mm f2.0 is an odd aperture choice over a f1.8 isn’t it?

Not a problem for me. Even stopping down this lens a bit often.

The 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm lenses are my “go-to” lenses. I use that range for about 95% of my portraits and other things I shoot. I’d like to add a 24mm as well, but I don’t think Canon will have a cheap f1.8 version of that for some time. Based upon their current lineup, they’re more likely to go with a 24mm f1.2 pro lens first. Anyways, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with these lenses and can you recommend them?

The 35mm is okay. Heavy vignetting, but that might not be a problem with in camera correction and good modern sensors. I don't think 35mm options for other mounts are a whole lot better....

The 85mm is good. The IS is good. Sharp wide open across the frame. It has a lot of contrast, and although this is a good thing for the subject, it can make it's bokeh appear to be a bit more more busy than it actually is....

50mm and Canon is always a problem, always has been and always will be. If you are happy carrying (and paying for) an f/1.2 lens it's fine, but you're not i would definitely go Nikon.

I'm solving the Canon 50mm gap with an adapted 50mm f/1.4 Art.... but that's not compact or light at all.......   It has probably a bit more round bokeh at f/1.8 than the Nikon lens, it provides more light for the AF-system, oh, and Canon focuses wide open where Nikon doesn't,  but beside these things.... i don't see why the Nikon 50mm wouldn't be the better lens.

-- hide signature --

victory

Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
laminat
laminat Junior Member • Posts: 27

Worth it.

I had Nikon z 24mm 1.8 and z 50mm 1.8, and had rf 35 1.8 and I have 85 f2, I like Canon lenses, I believe you can get better results from Canon system

laminat's gear list:laminat's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM

starfly wrote:

Hoping Sigma will still come to RF mount with f/1.4 primes in the next year or two.

Would be nice. If that new compact Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for the Sony mount comes over to RF mount and Sigma does a 50mm like that i will order those lenses in a heartbeat.

-- hide signature --

victory

starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 918

thunder storm wrote:

starfly wrote:

Would be nice. If that new compact Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for the Sony mount comes over to RF mount and Sigma does a 50mm like that i will order those lenses in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but it's a big IF though. Lots of rumors, but still no announcements, and RF mount has been around for 2 years now. But perhaps with the R5/R6 being so popular and Canon now clearly having indicated they're committed to mirrorless, it definitely provides an incentive for Sigma to start making lenses for RF mount, as Canon has a large share of the overall market, and I'll bet their share of mirrorless will rise against Sony.

But it'll all depend on whether they can reverse engineer the RF protocol to take advantage of the new technology, and on whether Canon isn't going to block them from doing so.

In my mind Canon makes some of the best zoom and long tele lenses (when getting L of course), but for primes I think their f/1.2 stuff is overpriced and overkill for most photographers.  I was hoping for f/1.8 L primes, but of course that's not going to happen, and f/1.4 from Canon will probably take years.  Hopefully 3rd parties such as Sigma can fill that gap.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM

starfly wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

starfly wrote:

Yeah, but it's a big IF though. Lots of rumors, but still no announcements, and RF mount has been around for 2 years now. But perhaps with the R5/R6 being so popular and Canon now clearly having indicated they're committed to mirrorless, it definitely provides an incentive for Sigma to start making lenses for RF mount, as Canon has a large share of the overall market, and I'll bet their share of mirrorless will rise against Sony.

But it'll all depend on whether they can reverse engineer the RF protocol to take advantage of the new technology, and on whether Canon isn't going to block them from doing so.

In my mind Canon makes some of the best zoom and long tele lenses (when getting L of course), but for primes I think their f/1.2 stuff is overpriced and overkill for most photographers. I was hoping for f/1.8 L primes, but of course that's not going to happen, and f/1.4 from Canon will probably take years. Hopefully 3rd parties such as Sigma can fill that gap.

I'm just accepting the adapter.  I want Canons wide open focusing for low light, so i know why I'm using Canon, and therefor i will just accept the rest.

The price/performance ratio for used (both native and third party) EF glass is a factor too.  I got my EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L mk II + sigma 50mm & 105mm f/1.4 Art all together for the same price as the RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM........  You will have a hard time to shop that IQ for that price on another platform.  I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the adapter. Accepting that adapter is a small price to pay, and i just love love love the drop in CP and ND filter.

But to stay on topic, if you want high quality f/1.8 relatively compact and relatively affordable primes, 50mm is a problem, although 35&85mm could be acceptable.  I would go Nikon if 50mm is important.

-- hide signature --

victory

Chris Giles
Chris Giles Regular Member • Posts: 391

The RF 1.8 / 2.0's are ok. But they're STM so would use the adapted EF's

The RF's are louder and slower to focus. Unfortunately. I think it was a terribly bad decision to go STM considering how highly priced their RF glass is and that they all have USM motors in.

It just seems to go against the direction Canon seem to be going in.

Decent if you want a bit of Macro fun though.

Powerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584

Smiller4128 wrote:

Hello all,

With this in mind, I’ve been looking at the various prime lenses for both Nikon and Canon. Nikon has very excellent f1.8 lens selection to choose from wether it’s the 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm. The 50mm f1.8 S from Nikon is even DPreview’s highest rated lens right now. Subjective I know, but impressive none the less. But, Canon’s lenses in that range seem a bit odd to me. The 35mm f1.8 is a Macro lens...I’m curious if this affects its use as a environmental portrait lens? The newly announced 50mm f1.8 is a mere $199...how good is that going to actually be for such a cheap price? And the 85mm f2.0 is an odd aperture choice over a f1.8 isn’t it?

The 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm lenses are my “go-to” lenses. I use that range for about 95% of my portraits and other things I shoot. I’d like to add a 24mm as well, but I don’t think Canon will have a cheap f1.8 version of that for some time. Based upon their current lineup, they’re more likely to go with a 24mm f1.2 pro lens first. Anyways, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with these lenses and can you recommend them?

The RF 50 1.8 canon lens, will not be as good as the Nikon, but it's lighter smaller and cheaper. It's a nifty fifty.

The difference in term of DOF between 1.8 and F2 is minimal, and grated the close up facilities, it allow to have nice blurred backgrounds.

The 35 mm F1.8 is not restricted to macro shots. It behave like any others 35 mm lenses.

According to the rumors, the next lens, will be consumer grade 24 mm

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +33 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,715

Not worth it in my view.

The RF 35/1.8 is a pretty good lens, but it's definitely towards Canon's lower end of their consumer-pro spectrum.

I'd expect the Z 35/1.8 is a better lens, and can definitely confirm the FE 35/1.8 is a much better lens - especially in the AF department.

It's a more than capable stop gap until the RF 35L is out, but I personally think you'll get more from Sony or Nikon ecosystems if you wouldn't realistically plan on upgrading from the RF STM lenses.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM +2 more

Chris Giles wrote:

The RF 1.8 / 2.0's are ok. But they're STM so would use the adapted EF's

The RF's are louder and slower to focus. Unfortunately. I think it was a terribly bad decision to go STM considering how highly priced their RF glass is and that they all have USM motors in.

I agree. Although there's stm and stm.  The last EF 50mm f/1.8 is stm too, but the RF 85 is considerably faster and - more important for me - more responsive. And the EF 50mm f/1.8 is faster than the ef-m 22mm f/2.0.

It just seems to go against the direction Canon seem to be going in.

Decent if you want a bit of Macro fun though.

Maybe not a deal breaker, but the RF 85mm suffers terribly from focus breathing at close distances.  Although the macro feature is very useful to have and the IS is good, it pays off to get a serious macro lens if macro is your thing.

-- hide signature --

victory

OP Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Thank you all!

I appreciate everyone’s input here. It sounds like, Canon isn’t going to be a good option for me at this point. Which is too bad, I really like the R6 and the RF lenses look absolutely stunning. However, spending $10k for a R6 and the RF Primes just don’t make sense when I just shoot for fun.

I’ll be honest, this was not the response I was expecting from this forum. Usually, people are quick to defend and promote their brands. It’s refreshing to come across a bit of humility. So, I thank you all for being so honest. Again, I do think Canon has everyone beat in the high-end mirrorless market.

So now, I suppose it’s time for me to consider either a Nikon Z6II and the f1.8 primes or perhaps gone back to Fuji. More research is needed it seems. Thank you again!

Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8
laminat
laminat Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Thank you all!

I believed what you believe, I bought Nikon Z6 instead EOS R. After 6 month I switched back and will never buy Nikon again. I thought just like you, 1.8 lenses Nikon is awesome and I don't have money for RF L lenses, BUT now I thinks Nikon lenses are very overpriced.

laminat's gear list:laminat's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
OP Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Thank you all!

laminat wrote:

I believed what you believe, I bought Nikon Z6 instead EOS R. After 6 month I switched back and will never buy Nikon again. I thought just like you, 1.8 lenses Nikon is awesome and I don't have money for RF L lenses, BUT now I thinks Nikon lenses are very overpriced.

Could you elaborate? What didn’t you like about them?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads