Help need with hummingbirds and R5

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Help need with hummingbirds and R5

Hi

I like taking pictures of birds in-flight and (among other birds) have taken pictures of hummingbirds (at local arboretum) before but with either 7D Mark II or 5D Mark IV.  When using these, I use the center point plus 4 surrounding assist points on my 100-400mm II (w/ or w/o 1.4x III).  I plan to take my (recently arrived) R5 out for a spin at the same arboretum to try on some hummingbirds.    Questions please for those who have tried this before:

Would face tracking work on hummingbirds?

How about eye tracking?

What are your recommendations wrt AF?

Thanks

Duy

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: Help need with hummingbirds and R5

I found that the Animal Eye AF worked quite well on both perched, and flying hummingbirds.

On occasion I needed to use single-point AF to get the camera focused on what I wanted before switching over to Eye AF, but that was mainly because of some of the busy backgrounds that caused the AF to get a bit confused.

For hummingbirds, I like the blur on the wings to help shot the movement of them, but depending on lighting available you could crank up the shutter speed and freeze them if that's what you like.

These were all with the Canon 100-500L lens

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
fredlord
fredlord Veteran Member • Posts: 3,137
Beautiful shots.

It's nice that you have them all year around.

Nice work and very encouraging.

-- hide signature --
 fredlord's gear list:fredlord's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
OP pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: Help need with hummingbirds and R5

JayLT4 wrote:

I found that the Animal Eye AF worked quite well on both perched, and flying hummingbirds.

On occasion I needed to use single-point AF to get the camera focused on what I wanted before switching over to Eye AF, but that was mainly because of some of the busy backgrounds that caused the AF to get a bit confused.

For hummingbirds, I like the blur on the wings to help shot the movement of them, but depending on lighting available you could crank up the shutter speed and freeze them if that's what you like.

These were all with the Canon 100-500L lens

Thanks JayLT4

Very nice pictures

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads