EOS 1D mark 3 or EOS R/R6

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Jos van Eekelen Regular Member • Posts: 435
EOS 1D mark 3 or EOS R/R6

Just today I learned that the shutter of my EOS 5D is breaking down. Unfortunate but I was already thinking about slowly going the EOS Rx route. Slowly because I haven't decided which camera (R5 is too expensive at the moment, RP, R and R6 are under consideration). Also the lenses I want to purchase first are not available yet/at the moment: RF 24-105 f/4 and 50 mm f/1.8.

The repair person has an 1D mark 3 on offer, in mint condition, few actuations, for € 800 which is roughly USD 800. This is a tempting offer IMO.

Comparing specs between EOS R and 1D mark 3 it is easy to see 11 years of development. The difference in resolution is clear, 10 vs 30 MP, etc.

What the specs don't tell is the difference in handling/user experience. Can anyone who has gone from APS-H to full frame MILC shine a light on this? I appreciate your input.

Jos van Eekelen's gear list:Jos van Eekelen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS R Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cjb Regular Member • Posts: 434
R6

Of the three cameras you listed I'd point at the R6. It's a 2nd generation Canon mirrorless with the latest generation AF and latest generation Canon sensor tech.

The 1D3 you cited is NOT a bargain. First, you can get a used 1Ds3 for $500-$700 with low shutter count if you are patient and that's a WAY better camera. Second, the camera can no longer be serviced by Canon, Third, the 1D3 was known for poor AI-servo behavior (moving subjects), which was resolved in the 1D4.

Perhaps the current deals on a 5DS should also be considered? It's the closest to the form factor and controls of your existing 5D, so it will likely be the most comfortable. The current prices are a terrific bargain.

You do not mention what kind of photography you do.

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +29 more
KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: EOS 1D mark 3 or EOS R/R6

I just sold my 5dsr and 1DX2 yesterday and picked up a R6 with the 24-105 F4. I bought the R5 about 6 weeks ago and have been so impressed with it that I decided to go all in on mirrorless bodies.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the R6 yet but it's focusing and feel is the same as the R5. I do need to get a battery grip for the R6 also, my hands are a little big for just the body.

If you can afford the R6 I would say do that over a old 1D 3. The adapter works just fine for EF lenses also, I'm using one on my 600 and 100-400.

Not sure what you shoot, if you don't need high frame rate and the animal eye AF you can get some good deals on the R.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +3 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,145

Jos van Eekelen wrote:

Just today I learned that the shutter of my EOS 5D is breaking down. Unfortunate but I was already thinking about slowly going the EOS Rx route. Slowly because I haven't decided which camera (R5 is too expensive at the moment, RP, R and R6 are under consideration). Also the lenses I want to purchase first are not available yet/at the moment: RF 24-105 f/4 and 50 mm f/1.8.

The repair person has an 1D mark 3 on offer, in mint condition, few actuations, for € 800 which is roughly USD 800. This is a tempting offer IMO.

Comparing specs between EOS R and 1D mark 3 it is easy to see 11 years of development. The difference in resolution is clear, 10 vs 30 MP, etc.

What the specs don't tell is the difference in handling/user experience. Can anyone who has gone from APS-H to full frame MILC shine a light on this? I appreciate your input.

I loved the 1D series, but the Mark III is now quite old. Yes, it is the same generation roughly as your 5D and much will be familiar, but it's tech that needs to start getting set aside rather than embraced anew. The last time I used a 1DIII was back in 2014 and it felt old then. It did a fine job, but after the job I said OK, it's time to move on.

Moving from the original 5D to an R6 is a massive leap. You'll be skipping generations of development, including the three subsequent 5D-series models. The R6 is "tomorrow's technology". I'm still using a 5DIV and 7DII combo, and the R6 would still be completely new to me! I'm still personally waiting for a bit more development in the mirrorless bodies before I even consider a switch. But coming from such an old body as the 5D, even the 5DIV would be shocking to you!

I figure you have three options:

1 - Stay with the generation of tech you know well and get the 1DIII. The sensor is a minor step back from the 5D while the body is a massive leap forward. You will enjoy the benefit of familiarity, if that is important to you. But you'll remained firmly rooted in the PAST.

2 - Move to the current generation of DSLRs. The 5DIV or 6DII ar the obvious choices hear, the latter being a huge advance over your 5D for half the cost of the former, but the 5DIV offering you the last greatest standard-sized DSLR Canon will ever produce. Either one will last you for many years.

3 - Take the leap into the future to mirrorless with the R6 and don't look back. Or, if you don't need the advanced features (especially with video), move down a notch with the earlier RP version for much less cost (under $1000 for body and kit lens), still far ahead of your 5D, but more for everyday photography and video dabbling. Before you look at mirrorless at all, however, I would STRONGLY recommend you handle one personally, as it is an entirely different experience.

Good luck

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
OP Jos van Eekelen Regular Member • Posts: 435

Thanks for your replies so far. Other than owning a "pro" body I did not see another reason to move to the 1Diii, and you haven't given me none either.

My photographic interest is mainly travel, events, nature, etc. For the moment his has come to a halt due to Corona. I guess it will take some time before it slowly restarts. This will give me some time to consider which camera to buy.

For the moment my main interest is macro/close-up. All done at home or nearby. For this I mainly use an EOS-M which is ok for this purpose.

Since I was already planning the move to the R system it is best to spend the money on an R camera, just hesitant about the exact model. R5 is my favourite but it is too expensive at the moment. So it'll be a RP,R or R6 in the near future.

Jos van Eekelen's gear list:Jos van Eekelen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 116

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Jos van Eekelen wrote:

I loved the 1D series, but the Mark III is now quite old. Yes, it is the same generation roughly as your 5D and much will be familiar, but it's tech that needs to start getting set aside rather than embraced anew. The last time I used a 1DIII was back in 2014 and it felt old then. It did a fine job, but after the job I said OK, it's time to move on.

Moving from the original 5D to an R6 is a massive leap. You'll be skipping generations of development, including the three subsequent 5D-series models. The R6 is "tomorrow's technology". I'm still using a 5DIV and 7DII combo, and the R6 would still be completely new to me! I'm still personally waiting for a bit more development in the mirrorless bodies before I even consider a switch. But coming from such an old body as the 5D, even the 5DIV would be shocking to you!

I figure you have three options:

1 - Stay with the generation of tech you know well and get the 1DIII. The sensor is a minor step back from the 5D while the body is a massive leap forward. You will enjoy the benefit of familiarity, if that is important to you. But you'll remained firmly rooted in the PAST.

2 - Move to the current generation of DSLRs. The 5DIV or 6DII ar the obvious choices hear, the latter being a huge advance over your 5D for half the cost of the former, but the 5DIV offering you the last greatest standard-sized DSLR Canon will ever produce. Either one will last you for many years.

3 - Take the leap into the future to mirrorless with the R6 and don't look back. Or, if you don't need the advanced features (especially with video), move down a notch with the earlier RP version for much less cost (under $1000 for body and kit lens), still far ahead of your 5D, but more for everyday photography and video dabbling. Before you look at mirrorless at all, however, I would STRONGLY recommend you handle one personally, as it is an entirely different experience.

Good luck

My vote would be for option two.

Hobbitmob Forum Member • Posts: 82

I just picked up a 1d Mark 3 on eBay for a second body (got it in a package deal with 2 lenses I wanted, so it worked out nicely!). It’s still a pretty good camera today. The pictures are nice, the build/speed is, of course, fantastic. That said, I wouldn’t want it as my main/only body.

ISO is pretty great up to 1600, but falls off after that (3200 can be ok, but loses detail).

now, if you’re interested in the 1D bodies and your budget allows, you might search for a used 1Dx I or II. I’ve seen the fist gen 1Dx on eBay for around $1000-$1500, and the mark II for around $2500-3000.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads