Cost of Canon lenses

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

Huntin4photos wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

If you want just one RF lens to start, get the $200 RF 50mm. It’d be a fun way to learn the control ring and compatibility with your new body and wouldn’t break the bank. Should be released soon.

Other more economical lenses include:

RF 35mm f/1.8 IS macro 0.5 ($400 - current sale)

RF 85mm f/2 IS macro 0.5 ($600)

RF 24-105 IS f/4.5-7.1 ($400? I think?)

RF 24-240 IS f/4-6.3 ($700 - current sale)

All will get you into RF glass for less than $700.00 each. None are ‘L’ glass. Kind of defeats your goal of weather sealed though (on account of that big hole where the lens goes).

Cheapest deal in ‘L’ is the 24-105 f/4 for $1,100 or so?

Or get the $200 ring adapter
(best bang for buck in mirrorless to add to an R5 or R6) and learn with the Ef lens.

I have the adapter. Not the control ring version.  Only have one EF lens that isn’t EF-S though. Probably should sell it. I hear they are in high demand.

 JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,072
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

Others with first hand experience can advise, but even a used EF 24-70 F4, whilst super cheap now, would work really well I’d imagine. Do people with first hand experience agree? Likewise for the cheap used 70-200 f4.

 Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,421
Re: Cost of Canon lenses
1

Huntin4photos wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

gertcher wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

gertcher wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

What EF and EF-S lenses do you have?

EF Ultrasonic 35 - 80 1:4 - 5.6

EF Ultrasonic 80 - 2001:4.5 - 5.6

EFS 18 - 55 1:3.5 - 5.6

You might consider spending less on a camera body and budget some money for better lenses. But you can certainly use those lenses on an R5 with the adapter(s). Those are smaller lenses at least.

I have had good results with my lenses on the EOS1000 body.

And buy an RF lens as soon as possible.

Even the cheapest, most pedestrian RF zoom will demolish those old lenses in terms of image and build quality.

Demolish??? Nope I found that the difference is not worth 2k between ef and rf for top quality Ef lens.

Please read before replying. Bolded the relevant part.

 Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,233
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

Astrotripper wrote:

Huntin4photos wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

gertcher wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

gertcher wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

What EF and EF-S lenses do you have?

EF Ultrasonic 35 - 80 1:4 - 5.6

EF Ultrasonic 80 - 2001:4.5 - 5.6

EFS 18 - 55 1:3.5 - 5.6

You might consider spending less on a camera body and budget some money for better lenses. But you can certainly use those lenses on an R5 with the adapter(s). Those are smaller lenses at least.

I have had good results with my lenses on the EOS1000 body.

And buy an RF lens as soon as possible.

Even the cheapest, most pedestrian RF zoom will demolish those old lenses in terms of image and build quality.

Demolish??? Nope I found that the difference is not worth 2k between ef and rf for top quality Ef lens.

Please read before replying. Bolded the relevant part.

The 18-55mm is likely to be the original non-IS version which had very poor IQ.  So that could be put in bold as well.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Huntin4photos Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

Chris R-UK wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

Huntin4photos wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

gertcher wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

gertcher wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

What EF and EF-S lenses do you have?

EF Ultrasonic 35 - 80 1:4 - 5.6

EF Ultrasonic 80 - 2001:4.5 - 5.6

EFS 18 - 55 1:3.5 - 5.6

You might consider spending less on a camera body and budget some money for better lenses. But you can certainly use those lenses on an R5 with the adapter(s). Those are smaller lenses at least.

I have had good results with my lenses on the EOS1000 body.

And buy an RF lens as soon as possible.

Even the cheapest, most pedestrian RF zoom will demolish those old lenses in terms of image and build quality.

Demolish??? Nope I found that the difference is not worth 2k between ef and rf for top quality Ef lens.

Please read before replying. Bolded the relevant part.

The 18-55mm is likely to be the original non-IS version which had very poor IQ. So that could be put in bold as well.

OP gertcher New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

JustUs7 wrote:

If you want just one RF lens to start, get the $200 RF 50mm. It’d be a fun way to learn the control ring and compatibility with your new body and wouldn’t break the bank. Should be released soon.

Other more economical lenses include:

RF 35mm f/1.8 IS macro 0.5 ($400 - current sale)

RF 85mm f/2 IS macro 0.5 ($600)

RF 24-105 IS f/4.5-7.1 ($400? I think?)

RF 24-240 IS f/4-6.3 ($700 - current sale)

All will get you into RF glass for less than $700.00 each. None are ‘L’ glass. Kind of defeats your goal of weather sealed though (on account of that big hole where the lens goes).

Cheapest deal in ‘L’ is the 24-105 f/4 for $1,100 or so?

Thanks for that information. From what I have been looking at here in the UK, lenses cost more here. Its going to take some serious research to find a supplier with reasonable prices.

BTW. My new R5 arrived this afternoon, the adaptor has not arrived, from a different supplier, so I cannot put a lens onto the body yet.

Looking and handling the camera, one thing that I was not aware of, as its never been mentioned in any review of this body, if you give the camera a little shake you can feel something moving inside. I put it down the the anti-shake mechanism. Can anyone confirm that?

Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,452
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

gertcher wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

If you want just one RF lens to start, get the $200 RF 50mm. It’d be a fun way to learn the control ring and compatibility with your new body and wouldn’t break the bank. Should be released soon.

Other more economical lenses include:

RF 35mm f/1.8 IS macro 0.5 ($400 - current sale)

RF 85mm f/2 IS macro 0.5 ($600)

RF 24-105 IS f/4.5-7.1 ($400? I think?)

RF 24-240 IS f/4-6.3 ($700 - current sale)

All will get you into RF glass for less than $700.00 each. None are ‘L’ glass. Kind of defeats your goal of weather sealed though (on account of that big hole where the lens goes).

Cheapest deal in ‘L’ is the 24-105 f/4 for $1,100 or so?

Thanks for that information. From what I have been looking at here in the UK, lenses cost more here. Its going to take some serious research to find a supplier with reasonable prices.

BTW. My new R5 arrived this afternoon, the adaptor has not arrived, from a different supplier, so I cannot put a lens onto the body yet.

Looking and handling the camera, one thing that I was not aware of, as its never been mentioned in any review of this body, if you give the camera a little shake you can feel something moving inside. I put it down the the anti-shake mechanism. Can anyone confirm that?

The sensor is floating, it should be more solid as soon as you put a charged battery in which will lock the sensor. You are correct, the IBIS is the reason for that.

 Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +3 more
OP gertcher New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

I am very grateful for everyone's input.

I will be buying 2 or 3 L series lenses soon. It always takes me time to finalise what I need. When bought my first SLR; Canon AE1, I only had the body from Jessops in Swiss Cottage, London in the mid 70's. No internet then, had to rely on reviews in photo mags. Spent 6 months reading magazines before getting the body, then another 3 months before buying my first lens a Tamron 35-80. Later I got a Vivitar 70-210, some years later changed it for a Tamron 70-210 a slightly slower lens than the Vivitar but smaller and lighter and the pictures were just as good.

I still have all my old gear. Unfortunately the lenses have white mould, been told they will cost about £80 each to clean, don't thin it is worth bothering.

It will be the new year before buying any lenses. I will post then to tell you how I get on.

Hope your are not too bored from lockdown. And have a good Christmas and New Year.

Greg

Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,452
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

gertcher wrote:

I am very grateful for everyone's input.

I will be buying 2 or 3 L series lenses soon. It always takes me time to finalise what I need. When bought my first SLR; Canon AE1, I only had the body from Jessops in Swiss Cottage, London in the mid 70's. No internet then, had to rely on reviews in photo mags. Spent 6 months reading magazines before getting the body, then another 3 months before buying my first lens a Tamron 35-80. Later I got a Vivitar 70-210, some years later changed it for a Tamron 70-210 a slightly slower lens than the Vivitar but smaller and lighter and the pictures were just as good.

I still have all my old gear. Unfortunately the lenses have white mould, been told they will cost about £80 each to clean, don't thin it is worth bothering.

It will be the new year before buying any lenses. I will post then to tell you how I get on.

Hope your are not too bored from lockdown. And have a good Christmas and New Year.

Greg

Definitely don't use lenses with mold/fungus (possibility of infecting the camera), and don't bother cleaning them if they are worth very little.

 Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +3 more
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,072
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

gertcher wrote:

I am very grateful for everyone's input.

I will be buying 2 or 3 L series lenses soon. It always takes me time to finalise what I need. When bought my first SLR; Canon AE1, I only had the body from Jessops in Swiss Cottage, London in the mid 70's. No internet then, had to rely on reviews in photo mags. Spent 6 months reading magazines before getting the body, then another 3 months before buying my first lens a Tamron 35-80. Later I got a Vivitar 70-210, some years later changed it for a Tamron 70-210 a slightly slower lens than the Vivitar but smaller and lighter and the pictures were just as good.

I still have all my old gear. Unfortunately the lenses have white mould, been told they will cost about £80 each to clean, don't thin it is worth bothering.

It will be the new year before buying any lenses. I will post then to tell you how I get on.

Hope your are not too bored from lockdown. And have a good Christmas and New Year.

Greg

Hello. Apologies if i missed the conclusion above, I’m on my phone so haven’t read everything, but which lenses did you think about from the L series, which 3? Just curious!

 Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads