Should I get CFexpress for Z7?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Should I get CFexpress for Z7?

I just ordered a used Z7.  I also ordered a XQD card (eek - sticker shock!) and an XQD card reader.  I don't know what firmware revision the camera is at and didn't want to end up with an incompatible CFexpress card.  My question: is there is any advantage to the CFexpress that would motivate me to buy a CFexpress card and reader, in addition to the XQD card and reader?

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PIOT Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Should I get CFexpress for Z7?

There is 2 reasons only ( if we talk about Z7 )
1) Faster File Transfer to your computer ( but only if you have very fast USB )
2) More future proof

PIOT's gear list:PIOT's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586

PIOT wrote:

2) More future proof

PIOT is correct, meaning there's really no reason to get a CFExpress IN ADDITION to your XQD setup. BTW - there's plenty 'o sticker shock on CFExpress cards too!

In terms of future proof, the XQD will work fine and probably maximize your Z7's potential for the life of the camera. I tend to replace memory cards when I replace cameras anyway, so I'm sticking with XQD for my Z's

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
OP ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843

PIOT wrote:

2) More future proof

Thanks for the advice, PIOT and 24Peter.

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
frankjoke Regular Member • Posts: 349

I just ordered one with 256GB and a reader. Reason was that I had 2 XQD (64GB) cards for my Z7 and I lost one (or forgot it somewhere...). I deceided now to buy a 256GB CFExpress and a reader at black Friday for the same price than a 64GB Sony XQD!

Will see what the experience will be!

-- hide signature --

Greetings
Franz with Z7 + Irix, Tamron, Nikon F and Z lenses.

frankjoke's gear list:frankjoke's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Irix 15mm F2.4 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +3 more
BurnImage
BurnImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,103

When I got my Z6 the only option was XQD and I now have 3 cards and 2 readers. So I’m sticking with that format all the while it is an option to use them. It’s was a big outlay in cash and they work great.

If I were starting out today and didn’t already have QXD cards I’d go with CFexpress as they are clearly the future.

What I wouldn’t bother doing is having a mixture of formats and readers.

-- hide signature --
 BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +3 more
dacrema Senior Member • Posts: 1,056

I have D500 and Z7,  for now I will stay XQD.  If I were just buying a new camera and had not already owned a few XQD I would get CFexpress.  I do not believe the firmware has been pushed out for a D500 CFExpress. Also as a hobbies the new format’s speed doesn’t offer me anything. The XQD is only slow when you compare it to CFE.  It still is much quicker than sending film off to get processed.

dacrema's gear list:dacrema's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +3 more
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,638

No.

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
OP ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843

BurnImage wrote:

When I got my Z6 the only option was XQD and I now have 3 cards and 2 readers. So I’m sticking with that format all the while it is an option to use them. It’s was a big outlay in cash and they work great.

If I were starting out today and didn’t already have QXD cards I’d go with CFexpress as they are clearly the future.

What I wouldn’t bother doing is having a mixture of formats and readers.

Thanks.  I'll check the firmware version when the camera arrives to make sure it's at least at v2.2, which appears to be when CFexpress was added.  And if so I'll return the XQD and go with CFexpress.  Otherwise I will need to use the XQD to update.

madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202

I purchased my Z7 before CF Express. I have a 120 and 64 XQD cards and three different readers. For me, until I have a problem with my XQD there is no reason to change. If and when it becomes necessary to change then I will because I would also need a new reader.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +20 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057

I've got a Z7 and one of each cards with, obviously, one of each card readers.

I know that CFE is supposed to be superior but in real life, I can't see that either one performs, in any way, better than the other.

When I come to buy a new card, I'll make the choice based entirely on price. At the moment, a 64gb. XQD card is £20 cheaper than its CFE equivalent.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads