Lens dilemma.

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Sumlameusername
Sumlameusername Junior Member • Posts: 28
Lens dilemma.

Here is my problem... I bought and have been using a D5200 it came at a good price, it came with a 18-55, and 55-200 VR lenses and I also bought a 50mm 1.8g lens.

I love this little camera... It takes great pictures "But" I shoot manual and have the camera configured quite well given the options available but really wish I had a top down viewfinder and exposure dial, so when I came across a pristine D7100 with a 2k count I couldn't pass it up, this is the camera I wanted to learn on all along as I don't plan on upgrading for years.

So! now I have two camera's I was always going to sell the D5200 if the right D7100 came along and it has but I'm not made of money and can't go round buying new lenses left right and center.

Do I sell the 5200 with the two kit lenses make my money back and start again? (I would rather a 35mm 1.8 over an 18-55) & shop for good second hand lenses.

Or keep the lenses and sell body only???

I'm shooting kid's, family, & portrait mainly...

As always, any hints, tips, & advice are much appreciated... I thank you in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: Lens dilemma.

I don't think anyone can give you sound advice without some more information.

For example:

1. Do you want to retain the same focal length range (18-200) or expand/contract it? looking at the focal lengths used in your existing pictures can help with this.

2. Do you want the "new" lenses to come from the proceeds of the current kit or are you prepared to add some money? If so how much?

3. Where do you sit in the convenience/speed (aperture)/quality triangle? To get all three in one lens tends to be expensive so I'd suggest you need to decide an order of importance.

After that, recommendations become easy.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +8 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

Do you have any issues with the lenses? Not fast enough? Not good enough? Handling? If not keep your lenses. They'll work the exact same way on the new camera.

The other issue is on price. Unless you can find somebody willing to overpay you're likely best keeping the lenses.  The world tends to be full of kit lenses since every kit comes with kit lenses.

You're unlikely to replace those lenses for the same money. You are really unlikely to get better lenses for the same money.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,347

How much( little) you think you're gonna get for your D5200 ?

I would keep both bodies and lenses, keeping them doesn't cost any money.

Seems to me you already have all the lenses for the type of photography you're mentioning.

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,361

Sumlameusername wrote:

Do I sell the 5200 with the two kit lenses make my money back and start again? (I would rather a 35mm 1.8 over an 18-55) & shop for good second hand lenses.

You won't make all your money back, and it's always good to have a spare camera kicking around...

Aaron

-- hide signature --
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,116

Sumlameusername wrote:

Here is my problem... I bought and have been using a D5200 it came at a good price, it came with a 18-55, and 55-200 VR lenses and I also bought a 50mm 1.8g lens.

I love this little camera... It takes great pictures "But" I shoot manual and have the camera configured quite well given the options available but really wish I had a top down viewfinder and exposure dial, so when I came across a pristine D7100 with a 2k count I couldn't pass it up, this is the camera I wanted to learn on all along as I don't plan on upgrading for years.

So! now I have two camera's I was always going to sell the D5200 if the right D7100 came along and it has but I'm not made of money and can't go round buying new lenses left right and center.

You won;t get money back but why keep it?

Or keep the lenses and sell body only???

I'm shooting kid's, family, & portrait mainly...

Keep the 50 F1.8 as portrait lens.

And as mostly kids and family after that, I'd get the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM which can be had at good prices mint used condition, is a massive step up in IQ from the slow kit lenses in terms of contrast, sharpness and colour and has much faster AF.

Gives you a good mid range zoom.

The 35mm F1.8G DX has amazing IQ (but very nervous bokeh) but a very cheap, week and thus slow version of Nikon's SWM (silent wave motor) AF so won't be good for fast moving kids, (I owned it and found it too slow for street photography) whereas the sigma has your back with very fast AF it really does, almost prime level IQ (it reviews optically better than the Nikon 17-55 F2.8 which speaks volumes) and you have your 50mm F1.8 for bokeh portraiture....

I don't shoot longer than 50mm on APSC myself so cannot comment on the tele zoom as I'd never use it as prefer to get close...  guess depends if you do kids playing sports or not....

As always, any hints, tips, & advice are much appreciated... I thank you in advance.

Otherwise switch to Canon for the excellent (and amazingly affordable) EF-S 10-18mm, EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM pancake, EF 50mm F1.8 STM.

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
Sumlameusername
OP Sumlameusername Junior Member • Posts: 28

Thanks! very helpful...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads