P&S Film Cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Foggy8 Forum Member • Posts: 67
P&S Film Cameras

Are there any comprehensive databases of P&S film cameras from the 1980’s and 1990’s?

For example I’m looking for a list of P&S that do not have DX coding but user adjustable ISO settings.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,053
Re: P&S Film Cameras

I cannot help you there but here are some suggestions.

DX started to be used , apartf from a few exceptions, in 1986 and for a few years after many that did have an extensive ASA range (that is not just 100 and 400) also had a manual override,

For those that did not you can alter the film coding yourself (look for "DX coding override" ) but that will apply to the full film or you would need to Take the film out of the camera , change the coding again and put it back, resulting in losing some neg space every time you do that (via dark bag, messy...)

OP Foggy8 Forum Member • Posts: 67

Actually changing the DX coding solves one of the issues I have with DX. With your suggestion I can shoot the film at 1/2 the rated ISO of the film. Thank you.

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,817
All I could find

This is from the Consumer Reports annual about the time that DX was becoming popular.  Note that there are only about 9 on the list without the DX feature.  (Sorry for the poor quality -- it was just a quick scan).

-- hide signature --

DS

OP Foggy8 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: All I could find

Very helpful. Thank you!

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

Foggy8 wrote:

Actually changing the DX coding solves one of the issues I have with DX. With your suggestion I can shoot the film at 1/2 the rated ISO of the film. Thank you.

You can also use exposure compensation. I have a camera that only reads DX codes and I bulk-load, so it defaults to 100 ASA. If I'm shooting 400, I just set the EC to -2 and hey presto, it's metering for 400.

You can find old copies of Popular Photography from much of the 1980s on Google Books , which should help you in your search.

-- hide signature --
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,053

Autonerd wrote:

Foggy8 wrote:

You can also use exposure compensation. I have a camera that only reads DX codes and I bulk-load, so it defaults to 100 ASA. If I'm shooting 400, I just set the EC to -2 and hey presto, it's metering for 400.

You can find old copies of Popular Photography from much of the 1980s on Google Books , which should help you in your search.

Not many Point and Shoot cameras had exposure conpensation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads