Z7 and SB700 - get rid of delay before exposure

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 811
Z7 and SB700 - get rid of delay before exposure

With my Z7 and SB700 - bought on recommendation of my local camera store - I cannot get the flash to fire the instant I press the shutter. There is a 3-second delay (about) every time. I have tried every flash-related setting, I think, to no avail.

How can I get my flash to fire, preferably on auto, without the delay?

Thanks.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,300
Re: Z7 and SB700 - get rid of delay before exposure

Odd, I've been using my SB-700 on the Z 6 and now Z 6II without that issue. I've never updated the firmware so I don't think that's it. Firmware says 6.001.

Do you have rear-curtain sync flash mode or an exposure delay turned on?

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
OP PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 811

1llusive wrote:

Odd, I've been using my SB-700 on the Z 6 and now Z 6II without that issue. I've never updated the firmware so I don't think that's it. Firmware says 6.001.

illusive for the win!

I CONSTANTLY forget to turn off exposure delay mode.

Thanks!

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,300

PLShutterbug wrote:

1llusive wrote:

illusive for the win!

I CONSTANTLY forget to turn off exposure delay mode.

Thanks!

Tip: set up U1 as your "general" shooting mode and don't include the exposure delay setting. That way every time you go to shoot walkabout, or even flash photography, you flip to U1 and it's ready to shoot.

I only have exposure delay on U3, for landscapes. I can flip a dozen settings and be ready at a moment's notice, except for changing drive mode which still doesn't save to user settings! Do you hear us Nikon?

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads