Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
lardo Junior Member • Posts: 35
Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Looking at ultra-wide lens for landscape, indoor, and astrophotography using a Z6 II.

Thinking of either:

• Two lens solution with the Z 14-30 f/4 and a separate prime lens for astro (Z 20 f/1.8?), or
  • One lens solution with the new Z 14-24 f/2.8.

As usual, there are tradeoffs for either option. I’ve gone back and forth a few times now...

Both the Z 14-30 f/4 and Z 14-24 f/2.8 sound like amazing lens.

If not considering astro, I’d get the Z 14-30 for its reduced cost/weight/size and longer focal range, even though I’d lose one-stop.

But when also considering astro, I’m leaning towards the Z 14-24, for a one lens solution and an additional one-stop for indoors wide shots.

Thoughts or other recommendations??

Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,329
Re: Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Other recommendation: Viltrox 20mm f/1.8 does not auto focus, but much cheaper than the equivalent Nikon Z prime.

I have not personally used this lens (don't have a Z camera yet) but it gets a pretty good review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgHinNmQak&t=627s and really lots of positive reviews at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=viltrox+20mm+f%2F1.8+nikon+z

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

GibbonsZeroSix Junior Member • Posts: 33

I would go the combo route, the 14-30 is my favourite day time zoom. The quality and size of stellar. I would then add a 20mm prime for Astro.

GibbonsZeroSix's gear list:GibbonsZeroSix's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

lardo wrote:

Looking at ultra-wide lens for landscape, indoor, and astrophotography using a Z6 II.

Thinking of either:

• Two lens solution with the Z 14-30 f/4 and a separate prime lens for astro (Z 20 f/1.8?), or

As usual, there are tradeoffs for either option. I’ve gone back and forth a few times now...

If not considering astro, I’d get the Z 14-30 for its reduced cost/weight/size and longer focal range, even though I’d lose one-stop.

But when also considering astro, I’m leaning towards the Z 14-24, for a one lens solution and an additional one-stop for indoors wide shots.

I would consider the cost of filter systems for both, especially if you need circ polarizing or neutral density filters for landscape, or or a light pollution filter for astro. There are more options for the 82mm filters required for the 14-30, and will be significantly cheaper than a filter system for the 14-24. They could also be used with a 77mm-82mm step-up ring on the 20mm 1.8. Something else to consider is the size. The 14-30 on my Z5 is a great match, relatively compact and light. There are also budget-friendly manual lens options for astro, in Z and F mount, by Viltrox (20mm f1.8), Rokinon/Samyang, Irix, Laowa/Venus, etc. One other option is to get a star tracker and use that with the 14-30.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,679

lardo wrote:

Thinking of either:

I am not a Z system user yet but shoot landscape and Astro, I prefer a dedicate lens for each application.

14-30 F4 is lighter and great for general landscape where large aperture is normally not required. also really easy to use filter, this is a big deal for landscape, i use GND, ND and CPL regularly.

For astro, I use Sigma 14 F1.8 Nikon mount, it's wide, fast, F1.8 vs 2.8 is a pretty big deal in Astro, I also own a 20 F1.8 but most of the time 20mm is not wide enough for the way I shoot, so the Sigma 14 1.8 is clear winner for me. So I am pretty sure this will be my dedicate Astro lens when I picked up the Z body later.

fieldray Regular Member • Posts: 125

lardo wrote:

Thinking of either:

I use a 14-30 F4 on my Z6 and Z7.  I have used a 14-24 F2.8 on my F-mount Nikon’s for 10 years, and I assumed I would “upgrade” to the 14-24 F2.8 S lens when it came out.  What I discovered, though, is that the additional focal length range up to 30mm turns a special purpose WA lens into a much more flexible general purpose lens for me, so I use this lens much more often than I have ever used the 14-24.  The image quality is excellent, and Astro is the only use case for which a faster aperture is important to me.  For this I use a 20mm F1.8 S, although there are also a number of very fast manual focus ultra wide lenses to choose from for this.  I am sure some of the others posting on this thread will point you towards these as well.

fieldray's gear list:fieldray's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sony a7R IV +13 more
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 823

As others have said, get the combo. I have a Z7 and the 14-30 and really enjoy it for landscapes. I have also done astro with it but it really is not fast enough. The 14-24 is “only” one stop faster; the 20mm is more than two. That is a lot more light gathering in a single exposure. I don’t get the saturated Milky Ways I see with the 20 at the same shutter duration, which means I have to stack and then there are trails, etc.

You will seldom use the 14-24 at 2.8 other than astro, so its weight and size are a waste most of the time. Better get two lenses each that will do a great job at their purpose, and at  a lower cost. Right now the 14-30/20 combo is $2,050; the 14-24 is $2,400.

On another note: I got a Kawakarpo 6x ND for the 14-30. At the price it is a very nice ND filter, that is one thing you can do with your savings: buy more stuff.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,951

I do not think the viltrox is suitable for Astro (ps i have it)

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z50 +2 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,254

lardo wrote:

Thinking of either:

Do we even have any reports of the new Z 14-24 f2.8 for astro yet since it is so new?  I know the F mount version was used a lot for astro.  The Z version should only be better if the coma is well controlled.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,343

lardo wrote:

Thinking of either:

Facing the same decision. For me the question boils down to whether I prefer the additional stop at 20 mm or the ability to milky way at 14 mm. I have not decided yet. The weight difference between the 14-30 and the 14-24 isn't that big, so it's less of a factor than in the F-mount days.

fpessolano

I guess it really depends on if you need a portable 14-30 or can live with a much bigger 14-24 (really much bigger once you add the hood). And also the 14-30 is much easier to use with filters.

IF you fancy having a portable 14-30, for astro you can pick the sigma 14, 20S or CV 21/1.4

dj_paige

fpessolano wrote:

What is not suitable for Astro? The first video I linked to said it was, but I don't have it to judge.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

fpessolano

Coma and alike (especially from mid frame) are not good enough for it.

dj_paige

fpessolano wrote:

Good to know, thanks. Do you like the Viltrox 20mm/f1.8 for other uses?

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,343

dj_paige wrote:

fpessolano wrote:

What is not suitable for Astro? The first video I linked to said it was, but I don't have it to judge.

You can pretty clearly see the coma in that video, though it looks like pretty decent performance for the money.

MiWo
MiWo Contributing Member • Posts: 800

fpessolano wrote:

I second that. My copy, which I returned after 10 days testing. had pretty unimpressive corner sharpness. There was also bad coma until something like F3 or so - I have no way to tell, as there is no EXIF data and the aperture ring is clickless. After almost 10 years with Fuji for me that seems like the worst decision ever (I don’t do any video).

And if you’re concerned about weight, it’s like 60% heavier than the Nikon Z. In return it feels solid as hell though.

Best,

Mike

-- hide signature --

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +5 more
OP lardo Junior Member • Posts: 35

Thanks much for all your responses, it’s been very helpful.

After reading these responses as well as other articles & lens reviews, I’m planning to do as you’ve recommended and get the combo, with the Z 14-30 and a separate lens for astro.

All the positives of the Z 14-30 that have been mentioned, including better filter options, larger focal range making it more general purpose, seldom using f/2.8 other than astro but paying the penalty of the additional cost, weight, & size, etc..

I need to do more research for the astro lens...

Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

lardo wrote:

Thanks much for all your responses, it’s been very helpful.

After reading these responses as well as other articles & lens reviews, I’m planning to do as you’ve recommended and get the combo, with the Z 14-30 and a separate lens for astro.

All the positives of the Z 14-30 that have been mentioned, including better filter options, larger focal range making it more general purpose, seldom using f/2.8 other than astro but paying the penalty of the additional cost, weight, & size, etc..

I need to do more research for the astro lens...

I think it's a good choice. Consider too that there are reviews and examples online of using the 14-30 for astro as well, so there's no harm in trying it for yourself to see if you absolutely need a faster lens.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,489

I will get the 14-24 whan i can afford it. only $400 more than the 14-30, no brainer for me. I like this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKMA86fylg

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 823

sandy b wrote:

I will get the 14-24 whan i can afford it. only $400 more than the 14-30, no brainer for me. I like this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKMA86fylg

I think you are comparing the price of the  Z14-30 ($1,300 regularly) with the F 14-24 ($1,750]. Others here are comparing the two Z wide zooms. The Z 14-24 is $2,400 so $1,100 more, not $400.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads