EF to RF adapter with Arca Swiss foot

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,794
EF to RF adapter with Arca Swiss foot

I see a few adapters with a tripod foot but the only descriptions I can get is that they can have an A/S plate screwed to it.

An adapter with an integral A/S foot and even a rotating collar seems a great idea for the RF and other mirrorless bodies.

I like the idea of taking the torsional forces off the mount when heavier lenses are mounted. I use the 17TS-E and the 11-24 and the latter is especially heavy when mounted on the R5 with an adapter.

Does anyone know of a decent quality adapter like this?

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: EF to RF adapter with Arca Swiss foot

If you're patient, you can get the plates almost free.

If you're in a hurry, that might cost you $10.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,918

Photomonkey wrote:

I see a few adapters with a tripod foot but the only descriptions I can get is that they can have an A/S plate screwed to it.

An adapter with an integral A/S foot and even a rotating collar seems a great idea for the RF and other mirrorless bodies.

I like the idea of taking the torsional forces off the mount when heavier lenses are mounted. I use the 17TS-E and the 11-24 and the latter is especially heavy when mounted on the R5 with an adapter.

I haven't seen one, but I wouldn't want one either as it would possibly be too big for some lenses. So I'd want to remove it anyway. I suppose it could have a quick release like some feet for tripod collars, but unscrewed an arca plate is pretty quick and easy and flexible.

quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,012

robgendreau wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

I haven't seen one, but I wouldn't want one either as it would possibly be too big for some lenses. So I'd want to remove it anyway. I suppose it could have a quick release like some feet for tripod collars, but unscrewed an arca plate is pretty quick and easy and flexible.

It could be designed like the EF-EOS M adapter, which features a removable tripod foot. I'm surprised that Canon did not add a screw hole at the bottom of the "plain" mount adapter where a tripod foot could be added. (A foot is not possible on the control ring adapter as the ring and the foot would physically interfere with each other.)

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,700

Photomonkey wrote:

I haven't seen any such adapters yet, but there are tripod collars available for the (standard) Canon adapter, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iShoot-Metal-Tripod-Mount-Ring-Lens-Collar-for-Canon-EF-EOS-R-Mount-Adapter/293219915409

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,715

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

I haven't seen any such adapters yet, but there are tripod collars available for the (standard) Canon adapter, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iShoot-Metal-Tripod-Mount-Ring-Lens-Collar-for-Canon-EF-EOS-R-Mount-Adapter/293219915409

I've just ordered one, thanks to your post. I hope it's better than the cheap Shoot (no i) brand gimbal I bought from a charity shop which puts the tripod screw 34mm off centre. The cutout for the lens release button looks like an unavoidable weak spot. iShoot also do an Arca Swiss foot Tripod Mount Ring A II substitute that's about £100 cheaper than the real thing.

Karl_Guttag Regular Member • Posts: 371

Photomonkey wrote:

While a good idea, a couple of months back I was looking at adapters, and the 3rd party ones with a mount-hole all seem to have checkered reviews with some people complaining about the fit or communication.  I decide to stick with Canon and got one with the ring control so all my lenses would work the same. I got lucky and got one quickly via Amazon even though it showed "back-ordered."

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +15 more
OP Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,794

Thanks for all the responses.

@Heritage Cameras, that looks very good. I will most likely order one.

As for other adapter Ideas, it occurred to me that a TS EF>RF adapter would have a lot of traction as one could have an AF zoom TS lens such as the 16-35 f4.  With a tripod foot one could also do a proper stitch by shifting the body as opposed to the lens thus yielding perfect panoramas.

So far neither Fotodiox or Kipon seem to offer this product. If anyone has a line on one it would be appreciated.

Kodak Pixpro S-1
fredlord
fredlord Veteran Member • Posts: 3,133
 fredlord's gear list:fredlord's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
OP Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,794

fredlord wrote:

Here's one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085QJRW5R/?coliid=I31U86J2J96JK0&colid=2S8414UYC1SV0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks Fred. I just ordered that very model. Sadly I paid $59 but it was much better than the first one I found for $116.

Kodak Pixpro S-1
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,715

Sittatunga wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

I've just ordered one, thanks to your post. I hope it's better than the cheap Shoot (no i) brand gimbal I bought from a charity shop which puts the tripod screw 34mm off centre. The cutout for the lens release button looks like an unavoidable weak spot. iShoot also do an Arca Swiss foot Tripod Mount Ring A II substitute that's about £100 cheaper than the real thing.

The collar arrived six days earlier than the estimate.  It's beautifully finished, feels very rigid, the lens release cutout has (tightly) radiused corners to avoid fatigue cracks developing.  Doesn't look or feel overpriced. I'll have to put a paint dot tdc (top dead centre) to help with mounting lenses.  (They could have allowed for mounting the camera in portrait format had they put another bayonet release button cutout tdc, but the handgrip would then have been in danger of clashing with the tripod, if not the actual foot.  Swapping orientation would have been complicated too.)

It's more bother to fit and remove than a separate Arca Swiss adapter and it clashes with the Tripod Mount Ring A II and the tripod mount for the EF 300mm f/4 unless they are in position for portrait format.  A bit awkward with my prime lenses, so it won't be a fixture.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads