Capture one 21 - upgrade or subscription

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Capture one 21 - upgrade or subscription

I've been using capture one Fuji for a few years now. I really like it. Just went to the website to upgrade and noticed a few things:

• Upgrade price has increased pretty significantly
  • They now have versions for Sony, Fuji and Nikon - there's no longer a significant price discount for the Fuji version..it's pretty slight.
  • The upgrade price is now about 20% more than the subscription price. Given that Capture one seems to have a new release yearly, if you plan on consistently upgrading, that's not a very good deal.

My question is:  There are discounts on now - I see a discount on the subscription (perhaps) because I already have a license and for black friday - so it looks like a pretty good deal.  If I subscribe now, will it auto-renew in a year at the full price or does it auto-renew at the discounted price?? I have an innate distrust of auto-renew subscription software because most products seem to renew at the full/inflated price. Don't want to have to cancel each year just before renewal:)

Perhaps someone with a subscription could answer. Thanks!

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +16 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,508
Re: Capture one 21 - upgrade or subscription

Clive99 wrote:

I've been using capture one Fuji for a few years now. I really like it. Just went to the website to upgrade and noticed a few things:

• They now have versions for Sony, Fuji and Nikon - there's no longer a significant price discount for the Fuji version..it's pretty slight.
  • The upgrade price is now about 20% more than the subscription price. Given that Capture one seems to have a new release yearly, if you plan on consistently upgrading, that's not a very good deal.

My question is: There are discounts on now - I see a discount on the subscription (perhaps) because I already have a license and for black friday - so it looks like a pretty good deal. If I subscribe now, will it auto-renew in a year at the full price or does it auto-renew at the discounted price?? I have an innate distrust of auto-renew subscription software because most products seem to renew at the full/inflated price. Don't want to have to cancel each year just before renewal:)

The question about Phase One's subscription price policy is timely and very relevant. I bought the Fuji C1/20 last Spring at a good discount, which I think was circa 25%. I paid this as an annual fee.

My understanding for the opaque cost policy, which I am unable to verify with Phase One, is that the discount only applies to one's first year.

When my subscription is due for (auto-) renewal in April, I fully expect the fee to return to the full, non discounted price.

If anyone else can shed light on this I too would be grateful.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
OP Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Re: Capture one 21 - upgrade or subscription

jhorse wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

My question is: There are discounts on now - I see a discount on the subscription (perhaps) because I already have a license and for black friday - so it looks like a pretty good deal. If I subscribe now, will it auto-renew in a year at the full price or does it auto-renew at the discounted price?? I have an innate distrust of auto-renew subscription software because most products seem to renew at the full/inflated price. Don't want to have to cancel each year just before renewal:)

The question about Phase One's subscription price policy is timely and very relevant. I bought the Fuji C1/20 last Spring at a good discount, which I think was circa 25%. I paid this as an annual fee.

My understanding for the opaque cost policy, which I am unable to verify with Phase One, is that the discount only applies to one's first year.

When my subscription is due for (auto-) renewal in April, I fully expect the fee to return to the full, non discounted price.

If anyone else can shed light on this I too would be grateful.

Yes, that's my suspicion too. I'm leaning towards paying the extra money for the upgrade because I doubt I'd get a discounted price on renewal. There's 30% off both right now.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads