More test shots (globbies and aphid)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 8,115
More test shots (globbies and aphid)

These are from a test session today when I was trying out f-numbers of around f/36 at around 6X magnification (so effective f-numbers of around f/250. I have been trying to establish a baseline for shots at this sort of magnification that gives as much depth of field as possible (just) before the images become unusable because of the increasing diffraction softening as apertures get smaller. I had to throw out all the images from two previous test sessions because they were unmanageably soft. I think these may be just about usable. (Whether you think that, or whether I think that tomorrow, or next week, is another matter:-D).

The springtails were probably 2mm or so long. The aphid was rather smaller. Less the 1mm I think.

These were captured hand-held using a Sony A7ii with two 2X teleconverters and a Laowa 100mm 2X macro lens, and a Venus Optics KX800 twin flash. The raw files were processed using DXO PhotoLab, Adobe Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI.

macrouser
macrouser Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Re: More test shots (globbies and aphid)

Still amazing

The aphid looks like a new born.

Do you know anything about what spring tails eat?

I have just learned that wood fly or lice are good guys that eat things like fungal spores.  We have them in Australia but little is known about them.  They are not flies because they have two pair of wings.

Banana fly

They are Family Neriidae.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
OP gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 8,115
Re: More test shots (globbies and aphid)

macrouser wrote:

Still amazing

Thanks.

The aphid looks like a new born.

Actually, on reflection, I wonder if it is an aphid. I was going by the two protuberances on its rear end. But do only aphids have those? I have no idea. I have put an observation on iSpot so hopefully they will tell me what it is.

Do you know anything about what spring tails eat?

Here at wikipedia it says:

They are omnivores.

Specific feeding strategies and mechanisms are employed to match specific niches. Herbivorous and detritivorous species fragment biological material present in soil and leaf litter, supporting decomposition and increasing the availability of nutrients for various species of microbes and fungi. Carnivorous species maintain populations of small invertebrates such as nematodes, rotifers, and other collembolan species. Springtails commonly consume fungal hyphae and spores, but also have been found to consume plant material and pollen, animal remains, colloidal materials, minerals and bacteria.

I have just learned that wood fly or lice are good guys that eat things like fungal spores. We have them in Australia but little is known about them. They are not flies because they have two pair of wings.

Banana fly

They are Family Neriidae.

Wikipedia says (I don't have a clue) that Neriidae are true flies, Diptera. (link)

Interesting shape it has. Well done getting a photo of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads