Fujifilm Barneys choice

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Hudsonriver Senior Member • Posts: 1,073
Fujifilm Barneys choice

In stead of all the bright colors and happy folks he should have shown some of the tear downs and dark graffiti and that would be a better test or is this just a personal statement and not any kind of camera test.

Just wondering...Ex Londoner

Hudsonriver's gear list:Hudsonriver's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,506
Re: Fujifilm Barneys choice

Hudsonriver wrote:

In stead of all the bright colors and happy folks he should have shown some of the tear downs and dark graffiti and that would be a better test or is this just a personal statement and not any kind of camera test.

Just wondering...Ex Londoner

Can you explain why taking photos in "tear downs and dark graffiti" would be a better test for a camera?

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
OP Hudsonriver Senior Member • Posts: 1,073

Theres too much fluff photos on DP even I could take good pictures in well lit scenes of flowers with my 30 yr old Sony, there just no apparent point

My opinion...Jeff

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,085

Hudsonriver wrote:

Theres too much fluff photos on DP even I could take good pictures in well lit scenes of flowers with my 30 yr old Sony, there just no apparent point

My opinion...Jeff

If I have deciphered your post correctly, you are suggesting that more of the review photos should be taken in challenging lighting conditions and of challenging subjects to better demonstrate the capabilities of the camera.

Is that right?

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more

Hudsonriver wrote:

My opinion...Jeff

If like New Day Rising pointed out, you want more sample photos in challenging lighting conditions, I think its a good idea.  But why "tear downs and dark graffitti"?  And I still don't understand the title of this thread.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more

I regret starting this conversation

I read every line on every DP article and I guess I'm annoyed that I just sold my camera at a 1700$ loss because of a message on the screen that would not go away.  I appreciate these forums and alot of folks tried to help.

I think DP should have a help section that gives basic advice such as addresses of where to send cameras for repairs in country that says "made in" and basic updates  and specific recalls etc etc

That is why I think DP should be more nuts and bolts and all of the challenging conditions of photography and avoid pretty pictures because like most people I have dvds full of them.

I only buy cameras recomended in DP

Thanks...Jeff

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,085

Hudsonriver wrote:

I regret starting this conversation

You shouldn't

I read every line on every DP article and I guess I'm annoyed that I just sold my camera at a 1700$ loss because of a message on the screen that would not go away.

Can you tell us more about this? What message?

I appreciate these forums and alot of folks tried to help.

I think DP should have a help section that gives basic advice such as addresses of where to send cameras for repairs in country that says "made in" and basic updates and specific recalls etc etc

DPR will share news about recalls and major issues but trying to maintain a database of contacts like that would be a lot of work to maintain and starts getting into doing the manufacturers' work for them.

That is why I think DP should be more nuts and bolts and all of the challenging conditions of photography and avoid pretty pictures because like most people I have dvds full of them.

I only buy cameras recomended in DP

Thanks...Jeff

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more

Thanks for your response New Day Rising.

The camera was a Panasonic GH4 and 14- 140 lens bought new in 2016 I had taken about 400 photos and decided to use the electronic zoom instead of a new lens purchase. immediately it showed this error. PLEASE TURN CAMERA OFF AND THEN BACK ON AGAIN which i did many times.

I also removed the lens and shot in no lens mode

I changed the battery and the memory card.

I tried to bring it back to factory setting

The authorized Pany repair in Tx was closed so I tried all over the country and was not able to find an authorized repair that I thought was legitimate

I was going to send it to Japan until I realized it was made in China.

I agree that DP should not do work that the Mfg should do.

I wonder if you would make a comment on my buying a camera with good repair facilities in the US such as Sony or Nikon

Thanks...Jeff

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707

Hudsonriver wrote:

Thanks for your response New Day Rising.

The camera was a Panasonic GH4 and 14- 140 lens bought new in 2016 I had taken about 400 photos and decided to use the electronic zoom instead of a new lens purchase. immediately it showed this error. PLEASE TURN CAMERA OFF AND THEN BACK ON AGAIN which i did many times.

I also removed the lens and shot in no lens mode

I changed the battery and the memory card.

I tried to bring it back to factory setting

Check if you have the latest firmware for the camera.  It could also be  fault with the lens.  If you have another lens, try the same function with that.

The authorized Pany repair in Tx was closed so I tried all over the country and was not able to find an authorized repair that I thought was legitimate

I was going to send it to Japan until I realized it was made in China.

Panasonic is still a Japanese company, and it doesn't matter where it is manufactured.  However, sending a US marketed item to Japan for repair may not go so well as it may be considered Grey Market.  It is best to have it serviced in the country where you purchased it.  Is Panasonic's service center closed for the holidays or because of COVID?  If the latter, you may need to be patient.

I agree that DP should not do work that the Mfg should do.

I wonder if you would make a comment on my buying a camera with good repair facilities in the US such as Sony or Nikon

Unfortunately, Nikon has closed all its authorized service centers and all repairs will be done by Nikon.  Sony has closed many service centers too, but still have some in major cities.  Canon is the same.  It is just not a good time for any camera manufacturer and it will probably become worse.

Thanks...Jeff

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Many thanks for your advice

I agree that due to the virus and camera authorized repair shops closing and dealing with possible grey market complications I can understand DP not getting too deep in the weeds specially since this is a free service so I take back my original rant and DP should publish all of the nice pictures it wants to.

Meanwhile I will go back to my 30 yr old Sony (707) and my H1 and be happy until the camera market settles down

I think I'm getting old and cranky

Jeff

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads