Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Flycaster
Flycaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,483
Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

I am a photo hobbyist using Photoshop Elements (2020) and the original NIK Collection to edit images taken with my FZ1000. Although I'm happy with this combination I am thinking about taking advantage of the special DXO Photolab4 offer and have a couple of questions:

1. Compared to PSE, what's DXO's learning curve like? BTW, I don't do much "layer" work, although i can if i have to.

2. Will the Google NIK Collection work with DXO PL4, or do I also have to get DXO's NIK?

3. As a hobbyist, can I expect that much more than I already have if I purchase DXO/NIK? BTW, it is not the money, it's how much more will I gain in editing?

Thanks.

Flycaster's gear list:Flycaster's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic FZ1000
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,817
Re: Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

If you want to add capabilites install Elements+. Otherwise stay with your set up.

Adobe beats DxO.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

nor70 Regular Member • Posts: 248

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has for me 😊

Regards

Flycaster
OP Flycaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,483

Kaj E wrote:

If you want to add capabilites install Elements+. Otherwise stay with your set up.

Adobe beats DxO.

Thanks. I already have Elements+, but tend not to use it too much. Care to describe where you feel Adobe beats DXO; but don't discuss layers as I don't use that capability too much.?

Flycaster

nor70 wrote:

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has for me 😊

Regards

Thanks, Nor.  That's good news.  I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4.  It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,387

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Thanks, Nor. That's good news. I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

I use C1 but DXO-Photolab is very good, noise reduction and lens profiles are better than C1's. DeepPrime noise reduction only works on raw files.

For example the lens on the Panasonic FZ1000 is designed for computer lens correction. They design the lens with residual lens distortion, typically barrel distortion which is easily corrected in software. The in camera jpg has to do a quick&dirty correction which for speed and low in camera computer power involves a crop. After the crop you have the fov/focal length quoted on the lens. If you use DXO you can actually access the wider fov/true focal length of the lens at wide angle. Adobe, for whatever reason just give you the embedded jpg correction when you work on raw files.

If you use NIK then DXO uses Control Points for local adjustments and is effectively Viveza on steroids.

This short video will give you an appreciation of how they work in Photolab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuv2HF1sTg&t=165s

Ian

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,204

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Thanks, Nor. That's good news. I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

Are you mainly a raw shooter?  Then DxO PL4 is for you. If you mainly shoot JPEGs, it's not.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Flycaster

IanYorke wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

I use C1 but DXO-Photolab is very good, noise reduction and lens profiles are better than C1's. DeepPrime noise reduction only works on raw files.

For example the lens on the Panasonic FZ1000 is designed for computer lens correction. They design the lens with residual lens distortion, typically barrel distortion which is easily corrected in software. The in camera jpg has to do a quick&dirty correction which for speed and low in camera computer power involves a crop. After the crop you have the fov/focal length quoted on the lens. If you use DXO you can actually access the wider fov/true focal length of the lens at wide angle. Adobe, for whatever reason just give you the embedded jpg correction when you work on raw files.

If you use NIK then DXO uses Control Points for local adjustments and is effectively Viveza on steroids.

Ian

Great discussion, Ian. Thanks.  Wow, DXO uses control points and is like Viveza on steriods gets me very interested as I just love control points and Viveza.

Flycaster

Digital Nigel wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Are you mainly a raw shooter? Then DxO PL4 is for you. If you mainly shoot JPEGs, it's not.

Interesting.  I generally shoot jpg+raw, using the jpg to cull out.  But, I also try to get my jpgs to look good with minimal post. I guess you are placing DXO PL4 into the do everything category?  I've been using PSE's ACR mainly for white balance (but not noise or sharpness) and then go into NIK>Dfine>raw sharpen>viveza>color efx4>maybe more sharpening and or Dfine> and lastly back to PSE to save.  So, Nigel, I'm thinking that you are implying that with DXO PL4 + my Google NIK, I'll be able to do everything within DXO and not have to jump around?

Flycaster wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Are you mainly a raw shooter? Then DxO PL4 is for you. If you mainly shoot JPEGs, it's not.

Interesting. I generally shoot jpg+raw, using the jpg to cull out. But, I also try to get my jpgs to look good with minimal post. I guess you are placing DXO PL4 into the do everything category? I've been using PSE's ACR mainly for white balance (but not noise or sharpness) and then go into NIK>Dfine>raw sharpen>viveza>color efx4>maybe more sharpening and or Dfine> and lastly back to PSE to save. So, Nigel, I'm thinking that you are implying that with DXO PL4 + my Google NIK, I'll be able to do everything within DXO and not have to jump around?

Yes, all my images are shot raw and most are processed using only PhotoLab (including the ViewPoint and FilmPack options). Typically, images only need a minute or two's editing work, and that's it, as PL's tools are very productive. I don't see any need to use NIK.

A very small number of images need extra editing in a pixel editor, and I use Affinity Photo (eg, for complex object removal beyond the capabilities of PL's cloning tool), but PSE could also be used, albeit with limitations.

A few images also benefit from Topaz Sharpen AI. I used  to use Topaz DeNoise AI to finish off very noisy images, but DeepPRIME may make that redundant.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
JLGF1
JLGF1 Contributing Member • Posts: 942

Flycaster wrote:

I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

I have (free) Nik, but I admit I don't use it.  Therefore, not sure about how they compare on sharpening, but the DxO Prime/Deep-Prime NR is really second to none. The only thing close is Topaz Denoise-AI.  This level of available NR may, or may not, be critical to your particular situation depending on your camera/lens/scene lighting scenarios.

And the DxO ClearPoint is pretty great as well.

JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS

JLGF1 wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

I have (free) Nik, but I admit I don't use it. Therefore, not sure about how they compare on sharpening, but the DxO Prime/Deep-Prime NR is really second to none. The only thing close is Topaz Denoise-AI. This level of available NR may, or may not, be critical to your particular situation depending on your camera/lens/scene lighting scenarios.

And the DxO ClearPoint is pretty great as well.

Yes, ClearView Plus doesn't get mentioned enough.

https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/clearview/

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,817

Flycaster wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

Adobe beats DxO.

Thanks. I already have Elements+, but tend not to use it too much. Care to describe where you feel Adobe beats DXO; but don't discuss layers as I don't use that capability too much.?

The range of editing options. Adobe PS is the gold standard for photo editing. Once you you are familiar with Elements it is extremely easy to go as far as you want in editing with PS. With Elements+ you are already well on the way.

If you do not use layers, you may well be happy with a lesser solution.

What are you not happy with in Elemets wit E+ and Nik?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Flycaster

IanYorke wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Ian

Ian, can you tell me how you installed the Google NIK into Dxo PL4? Thanks.

Flycaster wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Regards

Ian

I have the DXO version of NIK. DXO-Photolab Elite V4 automatically picks up if you have the NIK collection installed and you can export images to NIK Collection plugins as an external editor. Works the same for Google version as far as I know.

Ian

Flycaster

IanYorke wrote:

Flycaster wrote::

nor70 wrote:

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has fo

I have the DXO version of NIK. DXO-Photolab Elite V4 automatically picks up if you have the NIK collection installed and you can export images to NIK Collection plugins as an external editor. Works the same for Google version as far as I know.

Ian

I don't know, but I think things got a little mixed up. Above you had said that Google NIK works with DXO PL4.  Well, I just got DXO and can't figure out how to install it into PL4...Thus my question about installation.  But now you tell me that you have the DXO version of NIK.  So, which version of NIK do you actually have it installed and is it installed in DXO Essential or Elite? And, again, if you actually do have Google NIK installed into DXO Essential, how did you do it as I don't see (or know) how it would automatically get picked up by DXO Essential???

Flycaster wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has fo

Ian

I don't know, but I think things got a little mixed up. Above you had said that Google NIK works with DXO PL4. Well, I just got DXO and can't figure out how to install it into PL4...Thus my question about installation. But now you tell me that you have the DXO version of NIK. So, which version of NIK do you actually have it installed and is it installed in DXO Essential or Elite? And, again, if you actually do have Google NIK installed into DXO Essential, how did you do it as I don't see (or know) how it would automatically get picked up by DXO Essential???

DXO-Photolab Elite V4 and DXO-NIK Collection are both installed on to my computer. DXO-Photolab Elite V4 recognises that DXO-NIK Collection is available on your computer and makes the NIK Collection available as an external editor. Right click on an image in DXO-Photolab and you should see the option to Export to NIK collection. Example:

Hope this helps.

Ian

Flycaster wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Ian

I don't know, but I think things got a little mixed up. Above you had said that Google NIK works with DXO PL4. Well, I just got DXO and can't figure out how to install it into PL4...Thus my question about installation. But now you tell me that you have the DXO version of NIK. So, which version of NIK do you actually have it installed and is it installed in DXO Essential or Elite? And, again, if you actually do have Google NIK installed into DXO Essential, how did you do it as I don't see (or know) how it would automatically get picked up by DXO Essential???

You don't install NIK 'into' PhotoLab. Just set it up as an export option, as with any external program.

nor70 Regular Member • Posts: 248

I am using DXO PhotoLab 4 Elite and a non DXO version of NIK

With a previous version of DXO Elite, I reinstalled NIK to get it to establish itself within, since then all updated/new versions of DXO Elite have installed and when opened have contained NIK as part of their presentation, see diag

To gain access I just click on the ‘NIK’ and the option menu is offered - see diag, the chosen NIK option opens with the particular image contained within

Hope that helps

bluehighwayman Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Yes DXO PL 4 Elite, (Essential only has  HQ noise reduction), is worth it but the Deep Prime and Prime noise reduction only work with RAW files.  Although it is primarily for RAW files I also use it to work on jpegs.  It also integrates nicely with NIK.  I use it more often than Photoshop and find it a more simplified workflow.  DXO with NIK can be all one needs especially if you're a hobbyist but for the heavy lifting nothing beats photoshop.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads