Eilad gel stick

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 6,201
Eilad gel stick

Anyone here use one on a Z sensor

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +20 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586
Re: Eilad gel stick

madecov wrote:

I used the eyelead on my D750 & D850. I haven't needed it yet on my Z cameras (almost one year and counting on my Z50 and six months on my Z6. A rocket blower has been enough.) Very effective on my prior uses and I have abandoned whet cleaning altogether as a result.

The one thing to consider is make sure your sensor is "parked" when using it on a Z with IBIS. I believe this is done by turning off the camera and removing the battery. Also very slight pressure and gentle application is all that's needed for the gel sticks to work.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
madecov
OP madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 6,201

Thanks. I have one but have never used it. I find a blower gets most of any dust off

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +20 more
focus on you Regular Member • Posts: 257

24Peter wrote:

madecov wrote:

I used the eyelead on my D750 & D850. I haven't needed it yet on my Z cameras (almost one year and counting on my Z50 and six months on my Z6. A rocket blower has been enough.) Very effective on my prior uses and I have abandoned whet cleaning altogether as a result.

The one thing to consider is make sure your sensor is "parked" when using it on a Z with IBIS. I believe this is done by turning off the camera and removing the battery. Also very slight pressure and gentle application is all that's needed for the gel sticks to work.

I also use eyelead gel sticks on my mirrorless cameras.  I'm able to keep my sensor completely dust free with very little effort.

richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,379

I use one on my DSLR's, but I couldn't find any real definitive evidence that it was safe on a Nikon Z. I was worried about upsetting the IBIS with the gelstick being too sticky. I know the IBIS gets "parked" so theoretically, it should be fine, but I didn't want to chance it. In the end, I decided to do a wet clean which was successful in removing all the dust that had built up over the camera's first six months of life.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +16 more
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,934

I also use the eyelead on my previous Z7 and now my A7SIII -- almost daily.

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7S III Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +5 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586

Geomaticsman wrote:

Was there any special you needed to do on the Z7 to "park" the sensor before application?

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,934

24Peter wrote:

Geomaticsman wrote:

Was there any special you needed to do on the Z7 to "park" the sensor before application?

Just turned the camera off -- never bothered pulling the battery or anything. But I'm VERY careful with applying pressure to the sensor -- it doesn't take much to lift dust.

No issues so far.

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7S III Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads