Good monitor firstly for photo editing, secondly for gaming?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
KD750 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Good monitor firstly for photo editing, secondly for gaming?

I'm looking for 1440p (but would go 1080p at a push) no larger than 27". I have a 24" Samsung that will become my second monitor. I have a Color Munki calibrator.

Currently I am a semi pro photographer so need something decent and I do like to do gaming when I get time, but I don't compete so crazy refresh rates are not a necessity. I'm thinking around £500 but could go a bit higher if needed.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,272
Re: Good monitor firstly for photo editing, secondly for gaming?

How about 2k monitors?    They are very available at good prices, and that budget should get you a really good one, or an average-but-decent 4k model in the 27 inch range.  In January 2019 I bought a pair of ASUS 27" 4k monitors for about $450 each.   And there are better monitors out there from BENQ and probably Dell.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,600

KD750 wrote:

I'm looking for 1440p (but would go 1080p at a push) no larger than 27". I have a 24" Samsung that will become my second monitor. I have a Color Munki calibrator.

Currently I am a semi pro photographer so need something decent and I do like to do gaming when I get time, but I don't compete so crazy refresh rates are not a necessity. I'm thinking around £500 but could go a bit higher if needed.

I'd highly recommend the LG 27GL83A-B, around $379 currently, been in and out of stock constantly the past few months. I got it for my daughter to pair with a 5700XT, superb gaming 1440p @ 144Hz, she's doing very well in Valorant, I'm really jealous sometimes as it displays motion so so smoothly. I ran a quick calibration with DisplayCal and Color Munki, came out 99% sRGB.

Rtings review:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

Otherwise, I'm rocking a Dell P2720D. It's really good for photo editing, doesn't show much difference after calibration (98.63% sRGB). It doesn't have fancy features for gaming, but I have no problem playing Overwatch every night (1440p @ 60Hz). However, I'd recommend the equivalence Dell S2721DS as it has slightly higher refresh rate and FreeSync.

OP KD750 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Thank you both, the RAZER Raptor 27" Quad HD 144Hz 1ms IPS LCD Gaming Monitor actually looks pretty good, 95% DCI-P3, what do people think?

KD750 wrote:

Thank you both, the RAZER Raptor 27" Quad HD 144Hz 1ms IPS LCD Gaming Monitor actually looks pretty good, 95% DCI-P3, what do people think?

Looking at rtings review, the Razer Raptor seems to be a better option for photo editing (vs the LG), unless you're into serious FPS gaming which the LG is better at motion accuracy.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/razer/raptor-27

I just don't know the almost-double price ($699 vs $379) justifies the small differences in quality and the eye-candy RGB backlight. Only you can make that call

primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080

The two don't totally gel, I know this from experience. Good gaming monitors have really fast response times; wheras photo editing monitors are slow, but great colour ranges etc. I find the Dell Ultrasharp range a good compromise. When gaming, always use V sync and you should be fine. It's in nearly every game graphics settings menu. Photo editing is first, so check them out.

primeshooter wrote:

The two don't totally gel, I know this from experience. Good gaming monitors have really fast response times; wheras photo editing monitors are slow, but great colour ranges etc. I find the Dell Ultrasharp range a good compromise. When gaming, always use V sync and you should be fine. It's in nearly every game graphics settings menu. Photo editing is first, so check them out.

In the past, only TN panel can provide fast-enough response time (and it still is), with the compromise being poor viewing angles and horrible colors. Recent gaming monitors like the LG and Razer are IPS panel that are still really good at 144Hz while maintaining the superior color advantage, newer ones even support HDR. Avoid VA panels for now, while they have better contrast and colors, their ghosting is just unacceptable for gaming.

V-Sync alone doesn't help much if the graphic card can't talk to the monitor precisely on the syncing, and in many cases it will only reduce FPS unnecessarily. Thus, FreeSync (and G-Sync) is becoming the minimum standard.

primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080

sluggy_warrior wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

In the past, only TN panel can provide fast-enough response time (and it still is), with the compromise being poor viewing angles and horrible colors. Recent gaming monitors like the LG and Razer are IPS panel that are still really good at 144Hz while maintaining the superior color advantage, newer ones even support HDR. Avoid VA panels for now, while they have better contrast and colors, their ghosting is just unacceptable for gaming.

V-Sync alone doesn't help much if the graphic card can't talk to the monitor precisely on the syncing, and in many cases it will only reduce FPS unnecessarily. Thus, FreeSync (and G-Sync) is becoming the minimum standard.

True, but v sync not too bad I find for most games, unless you are some 120FPS geek etc. I tend to sit at 60 and don't bother more than that. My priority is a good photo edit monitor.

OP KD750 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Again thank you very much for the detailed responses, I'm indifferent to RGB colouring. Quite a bit to think about, just need the new Ryzen CPUs and RTX 3080s to be available for the new PC build now.... realistically I think it will be sometime early next year, I'm not in a huge rush though thankfully.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads