Spider brooch

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Spider brooch

Yesterday, despite the frenzy of incoming Thanksgiving , my wife decided to go through a few drawers that had not been opened for years, and maybe even for decades. In one of them she found a small brooch shaped like a spider.

Nobody knows where it came from or old how old it is. Examination of the brooch and the box it came in, backed up by a short internet search, revealed that it's of European origin, made of Baltic amber, was most likely bought in Chicago, and the design was not as unique as I had though initially. (Go figure. )

I decided to take a quick photo of the brooch (until it goes back into the drawer for next several years), and then I realized that I had not done product photography for years...

This, and the fact that there was no time for putting together the setup more sophisticated than a light tent on the bench, made the picture be of Craigslist or eBay quality--but the details of the design are still visible.

I really like simplicity of the design, and accuracy of replication of anatomical details of the orb weaver.

Length of brooch: approx. 20mm.

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
DAP MV
OP DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Follow up

I was not happy with my previous picture, so I decided to do a follow up.

What would be the best background for a brooch? Well, fabric... But I recalled that once I had seen a classy watch photographed on a pile of rocks. Thus, I decided to add background made of fallen leaves thinking that amber would neatly blend into colors of autumn.

Here is the result:

Don't worry, I am not going to crochet a web and take a picture of a brooch in it as the next step. This would be too much of dedication.

-- hide signature --

Darius

ratfugel
ratfugel Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Follow up

I love your creative thinking.

How often do we fail to notice the glaringly obvious.

Your second shot is a cracker.

Keep it up, we all love this sort of photographic imagination.

rat.

ratfugel's gear list:ratfugel's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 80D +1 more
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,169
Re: Spider brooch

I agree with Rat, and the second shot is a cracker!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
DAP MV
OP DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Re: Follow up

Keep it up, we all love this sort of photographic imagination.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it

I am trying to do my best.

-- hide signature --

Darius

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads