Z6 rubber peeling - Free repair

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
j_uet Junior Member • Posts: 31
Z6 rubber peeling - Free repair

After two years my Z6 shows a little rubber peeling I wouldn't really care too much about. But an Authorized Nikon Service offered me replacement free of charge when I sent the camera for inspection/Cleaning Service.

I just received the call that finally they got the spare parts and I get a free shipping label.

They would also be glad to replace the eyecup that is a little bit torn but as it is only about 15 EUR I won't cancel the order at my local dealer although it really takes a long time. It was ordered back in August.

BTW They also replaced the hot shoe clamp for free because it showed slight signs of staining. In the future I will dry the camera thoroughly with a cloth after walking in the rain.

I really like the way they handled all those issues.

j_uet's gear list:j_uet's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Z6 rubber peeling - Free repair

j_uet wrote:

After two years my Z6 shows a little rubber peeling I wouldn't really care too much about. But an Authorized Nikon Service offered me replacement free of charge when I sent the camera for inspection/Cleaning Service.

I just received the call that finally they got the spare parts and I get a free shipping label.

They would also be glad to replace the eyecup that is a little bit torn but as it is only about 15 EUR I won't cancel the order at my local dealer although it really takes a long time. It was ordered back in August.

BTW They also replaced the hot shoe clamp for free because it showed slight signs of staining. In the future I will dry the camera thoroughly with a cloth after walking in the rain.

I really like the way they handled all those issues.

That's good to know. My Z7 cladding shows some wear in front of the card door where the neck strap rubs.

What was the charge for this cleaning/inspection service, and which region are you in?

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
OP j_uet Junior Member • Posts: 31

PLShutterbug wrote:

What was the charge for this cleaning/inspection service, and which region are you in?

I forgot to mention: It is in Germany and for a Camera registered with Nikon Germany they charge 49 EUR. Otherwise 79 EUR.

Nikon D610 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,371

Really? 2 year old Z6?

I did the same thing (peeling rubber) when my Z6 was 11 months old and they (Nikon USA in Melville, NY) would not do it under warranty and charged me instead.

Sh_t service if you ask me.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II
gremlin17 Regular Member • Posts: 152

Thats funny as my Z6 is currently away for the VR recall from 2019. I mentioned that the rubbers were worn (not through excessive or heavy use) and the eye rubber was split.

Got an invoice today for £43. This only looks like a charge for the eye rubber. !!!

Overall, its not the end of the world if it comes back looking like new again. Good for you if you can get it free or for £15

gremlin17 wrote:

Thats funny as my Z6 is currently away for the VR recall from 2019. I mentioned that the rubbers were worn (not through excessive or heavy use) and the eye rubber was split.

Got an invoice today for £43. This only looks like a charge for the eye rubber. !!!

Sorry to hear that. But GBP? 43 can't be for DK-29 alone. Its £12.99 from Nikon UK.

Overall, its not the end of the world if it comes back looking like new again. Good for you if you can get it free or for £15

It could be tempting selling it now  "like new". 

But as I don't need a Z7(ii) hopefully I will easily resist.

gremlin17 Regular Member • Posts: 152

It was £30.48 + vat and £5.46 freight.

It does seems steep, but trust me, I’ve had more value from Nikon the last 3 months than this, so I don’t mind.

DezM wrote:

Really? 2 year old Z6?

Indeed.

I did the same thing (peeling rubber) when my Z6 was 11 months old and they (Nikon USA in Melville, NY) would not do it under warranty and charged me instead.

Sh_t service if you ask me.

I assume Nikon Germany instructed the private owned repair centers to act like this. I didn't even ask for a replacement.

jthomas39 Regular Member • Posts: 482

I assumed that I'd have to pay for peeling rubber repairs, and I didn't want to send in the camera and wait a while.

So I tried repairing it myself using Sugru, an air curing rubber/glue. It's still good after 6 months of light to moderate usage. I like it. I found other uses for the other packets of Sugru, too. It's surprisingly sturdy on many different surfaces.

See this older thread with pictures. Repair a Z6 peeling rubber grip with Sugru

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads