So I sent my RX10IV cam in under warranty

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 44,602
So I sent my RX10IV cam in under warranty
  • Then yesterday I get this email

Hello William,

Thanks so much for your patience. After a close inspection of your item, we've determined that a repair is not possible.

Reimbursement for your item will be sent to you by check and will arrive to you within 5 business days via USPS mail. Please note that your item will not be returned to you.

If you have any questions or concerns about receiving these funds, call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (927-7268).

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Guess I have to call....maybe I would rather keep the cam? It does still work

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,563
Re: So I sent my RX10IV cam in under warranty

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Thanks so much for your patience. After a close inspection of your item, we've determined that a repair is not possible.

Reimbursement for your item will be sent to you by check and will arrive to you within 5 business days via USPS mail. Please note that your item will not be returned to you.

If you have any questions or concerns about receiving these funds, call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (927-7268).

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Keep us informed wild man. Was this a third party insurance policy?

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 44,602

edform wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Keep us informed wild man. Was this a third party insurance policy?

Yes Square Deal

I dropped it and broke bottom of case and now to view LCD you have to pull it out slightly

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
ajff Contributing Member • Posts: 535

Not surprised at all, IMHO we live in such a lazy « no-repair possible « consumerist & disposable society.

On the bright side, at least you’ll be getting a replacement a hell of a lot sooner than if you’d sent it in to Precision Camera!!

A.J.
Have Fun Taking Pictures!

ajff's gear list:ajff's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Bill Borne

ajff wrote:

Not surprised at all, IMHO we live in such a lazy « no-repair possible « consumerist & disposable society.

On the bright side, at least you’ll be getting a replacement a hell of a lot sooner than if you’d sent it in to Precision Camera!!

A.J.
Have Fun Taking Pictures!

been a couple of weeks!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Hi Bill,

The last SQ claim I made was years ago but it went way better than this. They have been bought by Allstate since, if memory serves.

Still, I do not understand why they did not communicate the check amount to you. Makes no sense. Have you called them or done an online chat?

When did you buy this cam? Over one year before the drop?.

DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

Since you have communication with them - ask them.  I would likely have said send me a new one. . . . .. or a new V version. 

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Bill Borne

Chris 222 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Hi Bill,

The last SQ claim I made was years ago but it went way better than this. They have been bought by Allstate since, if memory serves.

Still, I do not understand why they did not communicate the check amount to you. Makes no sense. Have you called them or done an online chat?

I will call tomorrow

Bought the cam a while ago but had 3 yr accidental policy

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

DenverSteve wrote:

Since you have communication with them - ask them. I would likely have said send me a new one. . . . .. or a new V version.

I will tomorrow

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 2,013

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Guess I have to call....maybe I would rather keep the cam? It does still work

Better if you call,

Hope you get the full amount.  I had an HX90V years ago and the sensor/lens started getting spots during the warranty period.  Sent it to their shop (think it was Precision)  and got it back with the same problem ...twice .. the third time Sony kept the camera and refunded me in full what I paid.  That amount went towards the purchase of an A6000 with the 2 kit lens ...

KB

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 +5 more
Bill Borne

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Better if you call,

Hope you get the full amount. I had an HX90V years ago and the sensor/lens started getting spots during the warranty period. Sent it to their shop (think it was Precision) and got it back with the same problem ...twice .. the third time Sony kept the camera and refunded me in full what I paid. That amount went towards the purchase of an A6000 with the 2 kit lens ...

KB

hope I get enough to buy new one.....

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Update

I called today and they could not tell me how much the check is For..That's crazy

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,261
Re: Update

Bill Borne wrote:

I called today and they could not tell me how much the check is For..That's crazy

Unless they are going to reimburse you the full amount of a new replacement they should return the camera. I suspect they will reimburse the full $1600 since it couldn't be repaired. If not then the insurance is worthless.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Bill Borne

tbcass wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Unless they are going to reimburse you the full amount of a new replacement they should return the camera. I suspect they will reimburse the full $1600 since it couldn't be repaired. If not then the insurance is worthless.

He did say I paid $1699 and they either would reimburse me full price or what is is today..I'll see

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,120

Not sure why getting a brand spanking new camera is such a bad deal. I'd count your stars on that one. But this time get yourself a nice toploader bag and don't drop it again.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Bill Borne

ProDude wrote:

Not sure why getting a brand spanking new camera is such a bad deal. I'd count your stars on that one. But this time get yourself a nice toploader bag and don't drop it again.

I didn't drop it but lost my footing on a huge rock pile and fell over.

It's not a bad deal if I get close to what a new one sells for

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

Bill Borne wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Hi Bill,

I will call tomorrow

OK thanks.

I was just curious to know if the accident had happened within the first 12 months, during which many warranty providers send you to the manufacturer warranty.

I'm afraid Sony would have charged you an arm and a leg in that case.

Bill Borne

Chris 222 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Hello William,

Sincerely,

SquareTrade Claims

Whats the amount??????

Hi Bill,

I will call tomorrow

OK thanks.

I was just curious to know if the accident had happened within the first 12 months, during which many warranty providers send you to the manufacturer warranty.

I'm afraid Sony would have charged you an arm and a leg in that case.

last month of 3 yr warranty. Could not tell me how much over the phone

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,513

Bill,

I have always done well with Square Trade, I will be interested to see how this ends.

Now, as to this 'lost my footing'. This is occurring tooooooo much old man,

do you need new boots?

recognize you are not a teenager anymore?

take careful baby steps as you have seen me do?

Many years ago, I did an accidental hike, planned on maybe 1/2 mile, turned out to be 11 miles. after 1/2 mile, my glasses fell apart (nephew had twisted them the night before, thinking they were the type you could twist like a pretzel).

Glasses were progressives, without them, my feet were blurry, and the trail was full of rocks, roots, holes, and the nerves in my feet are numb, so I have poor balance on flat surfaces.

OMG, got up/dn in one piece, carrying the mighty R1 in one hand the whole time

Did I forget to mention I was alone in the White Mountains with no cell signal? Big family reunion, had them all worried all day.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Bill,

I have always done well with Square Trade, I will be interested to see how this ends.

Now, as to this 'lost my footing'. This is occurring tooooooo much old man,

do you need new boots?

no

recognize you are not a teenager anymore?

May be my problem

take careful baby steps as you have seen me do?

refuse to do that

Many years ago, I did an accidental hike, planned on maybe 1/2 mile, turned out to be 11 miles. after 1/2 mile, my glasses fell apart (nephew had twisted them the night before, thinking they were the type you could twist like a pretzel).

Glasses were progressives, without them, my feet were blurry, and the trail was full of rocks, roots, holes, and the nerves in my feet are numb, so I have poor balance on flat surfaces.

OMG, got up/dn in one piece, carrying the mighty R1 in one hand the whole time

Did I forget to mention I was alone in the White Mountains with no cell signal? Big family reunion, had them all worried all day.

Whew, Glad yo made it out ok!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads