"Borrowing" a 24mm TS Lens from Canon

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
pauljames34 Regular Member • Posts: 390
"Borrowing" a 24mm TS Lens from Canon

I really need to use a 24mm tilt shift lens over a three week period to capture some Xmas decorations as they go up and I notice Canon does a 30 day return policy. Is it morally justifiable to buy the lens, use it for three of weeks then return it?

pauljames34's gear list:pauljames34's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Nick5
Nick5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
Re: "Borrowing" a 24mm TS Lens from Canon

Since you asked............. for me, yes. Can you rent that lens if available without feeling guilty, absolutely. it’s a rental.

if I bought a lens knowing that I was going to return, luck would have it I would have dropped it and no chance of return........

oh the pain.........

Nick5's gear list:Nick5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Senior Member • Posts: 3,230

pauljames34 wrote:

I really need to use a 24mm tilt shift lens over a three week period to capture some Xmas decorations as they go up and I notice Canon does a 30 day return policy. Is it morally justifiable to buy the lens, use it for three of weeks then return it?

If you are near an urban center - there should be a 24 II for rent - if not use a 17 mm.

" ...  people cannot harm you - you can only harm yourself by acting unjustly"

- Socrates

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, Rodger
Save Lives - Be an Organ or Stem Cell Donor.
Quaecumque vera

Nick5
Nick5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

Rodger in Edmonton wrote:

pauljames34 wrote:

If you are near an urban center - there should be a 24 II for rent - if not use a 17 mm.

" ... people cannot harm you - you can only harm yourself by acting unjustly"

- Socrates

Love the Greeks.

Nick5's gear list:Nick5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476

I would feel guilty buying something knowing there was no intent to keep it, but instead to return it after I used it -- just because I was too cheap to rent it. Doing this may not be illegal, but I find it unethical, but these days many people consider that anything goes that they can get away with.

1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,499

Nick5 wrote:

Since you asked............. for me, yes. Can you rent that lens if available without feeling guilty, absolutely. it’s a rental.

if I bought a lens knowing that I was going to return, luck would have it I would have dropped it and no chance of return........

oh the pain.........

absolutely, my conscience would bother the hell out of me, plain and simple!!!

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

ed rader Veteran Member • Posts: 8,988

if you have to ask there's a chance you'd be okay with it.

ed rader's gear list:ed rader's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,332

pauljames34 wrote:

Absolutely not! Go to Lensrentals.com, and obtain one for use for 3 weeks the correct way. Smh...

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 600mm F4 +2 more
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

Karma is a fickle lady and I would not tempt her, renting is your best way and is tax deductible.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,577

You could buy use a re-sell. Worst-case, you'll end up with a very cheap, long term rental.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +18 more
CaNikonianite
CaNikonianite Regular Member • Posts: 125

pauljames34 wrote:

Don't be THAT guy.

ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 645

CaNikonianite wrote:

pauljames34 wrote:

Don't be THAT guy.

It is a questionable thing to do for sure.

However Canon UK (the poster is in London) has just improved its test drive service from 48 hours to 12 days for the Christmas period. This may influence the poster in deciding whether a TS-E lens is right for him.

https://canon-testdrive-uk.hireacamera.com/

There is also a lens hire company based in Maidenhead Berkshire which is not far at all from west London so can be visited.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads