D750 - max fps with flash?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Sydcar New Member • Posts: 23
D750 - max fps with flash?

I just can't get any info on this basic question, even Nikon say they don't know (wow, just, wow) - you guys are my last resort!

For the sake of clarity, I don't primarily mean with the built-in flash (though knowing that would be nice too) and I am not talking flash recycle times. I am meaning with a largeish (e.g. a Godox 685, but anything that works is fine, SB700/5000 if need be) flash running at low power so recycle/battery times don't really come into it- say 1/64th power. And does TTL make it a lot slower FPS than manual (again, low power shots)?

I got my fingers burnt buying a Sony RX10 iv, who's FPS drops from 24 fps to less than ONE shot per second as soon as you attach a flashgun, regardless of settings. This is my main reason for selling that and moving on, it's cost me lost shots and lost money. I know Canon can run at 4 or 5 fps with flash but I have a soft spot for Nikon - so can a D750? If not, any other similar-ish prices Nikons? The Z6 (i)?

Any advice appreciated. Many thanks!

Sydcar's gear list:Sydcar's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
ANSWER:
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: D750 - max fps with flash?

Never had a D750, but all my other Nikons do exactly the same fps with flash as without (taking into account flash power/recycle times etc.)

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,804

Speaking from experience with an off camera flash trigger, it’s the same but there will be misses on strobe recycle time.

if you opt for a flashing LED system like the Rotilight NEO II and its brethren, the flash needs no recycle time.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +14 more
James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

Recycle time with the built-in flash is horrendous. The camera will pause when the flash needs to recharge. If you get 1 shot a second I'd be amazed. I've taken to carrying an external flash al;most all the time, and only use the built in for portraits and group photos as a fill.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D5 +7 more
Vetteran
Vetteran Senior Member • Posts: 1,468

You probably know this but if the external flash is not TTL, the FOS is unaffected and will be determined by the shutter speed selected by the camera.

recommend using manual shutter speed and aperture

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Warm regards and very respectfully,
VETTRAN
My travel blog:www.midlifetravels.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica X1 Leica X Vario Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) +6 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,417
Two or three SB26 flashguns in manual mode

Sydcar wrote:

Any advice appreciated. Many thanks!

Hmmm ... interesting question. Clearly, if you have the kit you can experiment with different scenarios for yourself.

I have a D750 and lots of flashguns. Although one of these is a SB800 my preferred scenario is two ancient SB26 flashguns, off camera in slave mode (actually, I have a third SB26) and for my use they are all running manually-set,  usually very dialled down (1/32 or 1/64) and only maximum 1m from the subject.

I am rather critical of the machine gun approach to photography but I am fairly sure the setup I have described can easily match the 4 or 5 frames per second you mention. If I find time, I'll test it out tomorrow and come back to you.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, what sort of subject distances, what general lighting circumstances?

D750; 2 x SB26 flashguns; 1 x male blackbird (Turdus merulus) ; 1 x unconnected Minox flashgun

JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,412

Some info, all at M 1/64 no FP mode. On a D750 in manual everything.

SB800 with 5th battery, Godox TT685N, both with slightly used eneloops.

SB800 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CL - 1.0 fps, seems continuous

CH initial - 13 frames at 5.8 fps

CH subsequent - 1.7 fps, seems continuous

TT685N >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CL - 1.0 fps, seems continuous

CH initial - 12 frames at 5.7 fps

CH subsequent - 1.6 fps, seems continuous

On Camera Flash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Manual shutter, as fast as it will fire - 16 frames at 1.9 fps

after this - protection mode - gap of 14 seconds or more thereafter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was pleasantly surprised with how well the on-camera flash managed actually, though once it got into protection mode, it's dire. I imagine that any flash will go into protection mode if continuous flash persisted too long.

Of course, if the flash power increases, then recycle times are going to be more significant, as is the protection mode constraint. That would particularly apply to the on-camera flash for example as daylight fill. The limited power of the on-camera flash is also why it's not able to support FP/HSS mode. It is a shame it doesn't even do this in commander mode with minimum flash output.

If recycle times become a constraint, obviously there are many options with more powerful/expensive/lion strobes and external battery packs. Personally, the sb800/tt685n do me just fine, but this will be application dependent.

I don't think your question about TTL makes sense in a way - all that's doing is picking the appropriate level of light output to suit exposure. And the Godox X-Pro can convert TTL settings into manual. Obviously, the more power you're taking, the worse recycling gets.

I quite agree with the frustrations of not having decent flash recycle/rapid shooting options. My rx100 drives me mad on that score, particularly since it doesn't even have a hot shoe or easy way of remote triggering - gah!

The other aspect of Fx over a 1" sensor is of course that you can operate at higher iso with much less noise than the 1" sensor, which greatly benefits from extra light, if you really knew that you were going to need low recycle times you can do that with the Fx, and hence reduce flash power with iso. In fact, speed of all operations is something that Fx wins out with, and if getting paid, I'd choose it any day over an rx10 unless there was some special application for that.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Sydcar New Member • Posts: 23

Wow, you guys answered in a few hours what Nikon couldn't answer at all (and Sony eventually answered as 'no it can't do it' in a few weeks)! I am also considering the Z5 or Z6, so may have to re-ask on that thread, but this is a huge thumbs up for Nikon cameras (admittedly, over the Sony RX10 iv, which is a very, very different - in some ways brilliant - camera) as I consider going back to them.

Huge thanks to all.

Sydcar's gear list:Sydcar's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
AndyW17 Contributing Member • Posts: 831

The limit is always going to be the lights, not the camera. And within any given flash, it will vary based on the batteries used. So it makes sense that Nikon had no answer for you, IMHO. I don't know why TTL vs. manual would make much difference, but I would strongly recommend manual, not TTL,  for consistency of lighting across frames.

My suggestion would be to forget about on-camera flash and consider an off-camera strobe unit such as a Godox AD200 or larger, depending on what you're trying to photograph. These lights will have much faster recycle times than an on-camera unit. You'll need a trigger and the lights. I've had no issues running in continuous high around 1/16 power using manual flash, but I forget if I was at max FPS.

-- hide signature --
 AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,412

As well, off-camera usually allows you to get the light much closer to the subject, hence reducing power demands. Apart from daylight fill flash or a tiny catch light, the only way I'd use on-camera flash is when using bounce flash, again, needing more power.

Agree it's optimistic to expect a vendor to be answering these questions, if nothing else because of battery characteristics, operating temperatures and so on; and because if they did publish even representative real-world measurements, it wouldn't be long before people complained if they weren't achieving that, or else having silly specmanship fights between vendors.

For the OP, can I enquire what your application is? The Rx10 can of course be a fantastic camera for various things, but probably less so when light is a problem.

I take it you're also aware that if you want to use FP mode, you're going to be blowing more power on that too.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads