Should I sell..... ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
D5 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Should I sell..... ?

So I have the following lenses now :

• *** 24 1.4G ***
  • 24-70F2.8E VR (KEEPER)
  • 50mm 1.4 MILVUS (ZEISS)
  • 50mm 1.2 AI-S MF Nikon (Keeper, cause it's cool as)
  • *** 70-200 f2.8G ( VRII ) ***
  • 85 1.4G
  • 105 1.4E (KEEPER)
  • *** 135 f2 ZF.2 ZEISS ( MF ) LIKE NEW!! ***

I'd love to BUY the Nikon 28mm f/2.8E, though I do have the 24m,m f1.4G. The newer 70-200mm is of interest to me also...

Would you sell the 3X lenses above marked *** to get the newer lenses..... could i get enough $..... ?

Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART also looks amazing!!

Yes I know I'm certainly missing something UWA ( the 14 - 24 range / or 17-35 ).

# GEAR ENVY !!!!!

( I do lots of travel photography / portraits / studio / cityscape etc. )

-- hide signature --

Nikon and Pro Nikkor Lenses.....

avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: Should I sell..... ?

Not sure what you shoot, but I would not dump the 105E.  It is just too good.  Sell the 85 D, even though I know it has a unique look.  The 28E is a favorite of mine - paired to the D850.  That lens, the 105E and the 50mm 1.2 AIS are all keepers.

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100
OP D5 Regular Member • Posts: 142

avalvo wrote:

Not sure what you shoot, but I would not dump the 105E. It is just too good. Sell the 85 D, even though I know it has a unique look. The 28E is a favorite of mine - paired to the D850. That lens, the 105E and the 50mm 1.2 AIS are all keepers.

Ohhh NEVER Dumping the 105 1.4E.

-- hide signature --

SORRY Forgot to state.... I shoot with D850's.

-- hide signature --

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,272

1. What lenses do you use the least?  For me, the 70-200g gets very little use because it's normally replaced in my travel bag with an 80-400g.  My travel kit biases toward focal range flexibility and consists of 16-35, 24-70vr and 80-400g.   I use the 70-200 about once a year.  I'm intrigued by the new 70-200 but can't justify upgrading a lens I barely touch.

2. With that set of lenses, if you haven't already got a wide lens, you're probably not much of a wide shooting anyway.  I usually find 24mm is wide enough and too wide for most portraits.

3. If you do a lot of portraits and give up the 85mm, were you planning on using the 70-200 to cover the shorter portrait focal lengths, or just back up to the point you can use the 105?  It seems to me that selling the 85 would put a big hole where you have a need.  When I do portraits (traditionally in my 'garage studio' for Thanksgiving, I use my 85mm most of the time, and a 50mm when shooting pairs.  I don't have much room to back up and couldn't make much use of a 105 except for head shots.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,955

D5 wrote:

• *** 24 1.4G ***
  • 24-70F2.8E VR (KEEPER)
  • 85 1.4G
  • 105 1.4E (KEEPER)

I'd love to BUY the Nikon 28mm f/2.8E, though I do have the 24m,m f1.4G. The newer 70-200mm is of interest to me also...

Would you sell the 3X lenses above marked *** to get the newer lenses..... could i get enough $..... ?

Yes I know I'm certainly missing something UWA ( the 14 - 24 range / or 17-35 ).

# GEAR ENVY !!!!!

Hi!

Of course you are asking others, for what is to a large extent personal preference based on a number of things including budget, type of use, tolerance for manual focusing, IQ, and perhaps one's predilection for lens hoarding.

Personally, I'd have a hard time giving up my Zeiss 135/2 APO Sonnar. I might be a bit illogical about how much I like how it renders.

Personally, first lens of yours that I'd give up or replace would be the 70-200 VR II

The newer 70-200 f/2.8E Fl really is that much better, more so on a high resolution DSLR such as yours.

And the 70-200 f/2.8E Fl is now selling at a much lower price than when it was introduced.

I have the 85 1.4 G, but haven't used it in years. Probably falls into a category of something I should have sold, but had too many years of loving it and became emotionally attached.

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more

Thanks for your detailed comments. Appreciate it - gets me thinking.

I'd really love to get the 28mm - though some thing/s have to go to enable this... :/ ?

-- hide signature --

Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,899

D5 wrote:

• *** 24 1.4G ***
  • 24-70F2.8E VR (KEEPER)
  • 85 1.4G
  • 105 1.4E (KEEPER)

# GEAR ENVY !!!!!

I don't know how prices are like in Australia, but here in Canada newer lenses like the 70-200 FL-E aren't getting any cheaper than they always were.  I've got the VR2 version and can't justify 1.5X the cost for an incremental improvement.  (RB, I agree the FL-E is better in most ways, but with my D800 I can't tell enough of a difference, and I rarely shoot video.  Differences would be greater with a D850 or Z7.)  I had the 80-200 two-ring N version for years before that, and there was enough of a difference between that one and the VR2 to justify an upgrade, but for most practical purposes they all do the same thing quite well.  The Tamron G2 would be on my list as an alternative if it weren't for the compatibility issues with Z bodies.

Your 24-70E is a good lens, and although not as strong as a prime at 24mm, it's still a 24mm.  If you tend to use that focal length much, maybe rent another wide-angle lens you like and see whether it'll really make that much difference.  There are times when I want a  smaller lens with an aperture ring, so I've kept my 24mm f2.8 pre-AI and Tamron Adaptall 2 24mm f2.5.  Yes, those are old and not even as good as my 24-70 in some respects, but maybe looking for a Zeiss 21mm or similar might satisfy your craving for quality and (relative) portibility.  What do you actually not like about your 24mm f1.4G?  I could see how it would be handy in low-light conditions.

If you love your 105 f1.4E (as I do with my 105DC), and if manual focus is the issue with the Zeiss 135, the Sony Art 135 as certainly a cheaper alternative, and by all accounts, it does do an amazing job.  The difference might fund a lens or two.  There are also plenty of used 135DC lenses available, and they're just as good now as they were then -- I know some will argue focus accuracy issues and CA, but CA is mainly correctable and focus is much better with the D850 or with focus peaking on Z cameras.  Since it's a DC lens, you've got more control about how sharp or soft you want your images to be from a single lens.  My 135?  A lowly $15 used Tamron Adaptall-2 135mm f2.5.  Somewhat soft, tiny (non-intimidating) and therefore perfect for some portraits.

I'm also a bit like you when it comes to UWA.  I bought an 18-35 AF-D twenty years ago and I can't justify replacing it.  In fact, I accidentally ran over it with my car awhile ago (don't ask!) and cracked the filter ring, but otherwise it still works perfectly!!  (Yes, flare is worse than ever until I find a replacement hood.)  Maybe it's time for another lens if I upgrade my camera.  Since this is my least-used lens, it's actually the hardest to replace.  The most likely candidates will be a 19mm T/S or Laowa 15mm, as I'd shoot more architecture than landscapes.  I had the original Samyang 14mm for awhile, but post-processing the distortion took too much time -- good lens otherwise, and cheap.

In the end, I like quality and I like inexpensive, and occasionally portability is a factor -- usually, you can't have all these choices unless you're willing to double-up on some lenses or buy used.  When I do buy a lens, I either keep it for many years or I get rid of it (same for bodies) -- call it an emotional attachment if you wish but familiarity has many advantages.  Some of my Tamron Adaptall lenses are over 35 years old, but with mirrorless body options they're more useful than ever.  (I use the 135mm or 200mm with a Nikon 1 V3 as a tiny paparazzi-like kit!)

So, if you're still using any of those starred lenses, keep them.  Otherwise, get rid of them now while they still have some value.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
annettep38
annettep38 Regular Member • Posts: 126

Sorry I really don't get why you would sell the Zoom to get a 28 mm 2.8. If you want something different get a quirky one. Of those I own 3 and still would never sell the zoom because i take it to walk the dog,well actually everywhere where other people use their phone to take 'photos'.

I have  a 1970 28 2.0 which is really nice, it was like 140 GBP on fleabay and I had to file the 'AI' adaptation but boy I love it for the crazy bokeh. For the same  reason I keep that 1972 55 1.2, so  I know why it is a keeper

the 28mm f2

I have been thinking, like you for ages whether I sell the Nikkor D 135 f2. On the other hand, I would have t opt for your zoom, wouldn't I. I had the 80-200 till it was stolen, so I recently compared how many shots I took with either the 85 1.4, the zoom or the 135.

Not to mention my Sigma 180 2.8.

What Can I say.. against 2500 shots with that zoom there were 12000+ with the Sigma and about 4000 each with the 85 1.4 and the 135mm f2. I replaced the 85 that was stolen with a Sigma because I couldn't live with one.

Keep them both. Get a 200 f2 if you want to fulfill a dream.

I can't afford new lenses but in case I could, I'd rather go for something I don't have. The that 300 2.8 or a 600 that I would really love since my 800 mm was stolen. And if they seem expensive, go for second hand but keep the old stuff if you used it in the last year more than once.

here another one from the 28 f2 with an 8mm ring

Now, if you are still selling that 24mm ask me.

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/AnnetteFlottwell
stolen: , my 24-70 nº297446 and my 85 1.4 AI 197908 REWARD for finding my stuff the rest is back thanks to WR from Cartago and Cañas OIJ

annettep38's gear list:annettep38's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads