Mornington Peninsula Shire (C&C Appreciated)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 264
Mornington Peninsula Shire (C&C Appreciated)

Hi all,

Went on a trip recently to the Mornington Peninsula Shire, all the shots here were taken at Cape Schanck, a sight to behold. Comment and criticism is welcomed and appreciated. I'm looking to improve myself as a photographer and so I'd appreciated any feedback, what you like or don't like so much, or what shot stands out.

Thank you, and happy shooting as always 

Dark Clouds & A Lighthouse

The Cliff

A Lighthouse from Afar

Rocks in the Water

Tranquil Waters

The Ocean Beyond

NixonS's gear list:NixonS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Re: Mornington Peninsula Shire (C&C Appreciated)

Nice shots, b&w ones look good, I like the abstract #2.

Looks like you didn't get to the Pulpit rock - a popular place to photograph but sketchy at high tide.

The Peninsula is full of wonders, almost every beach on the ocean side provides lots of opportunities. Most of them are sunset places but Cape Schanck is both sunset and sunrise, depending on the season.

In terms of the critique, 'tranquil waters' is probably far from the reality with that much foam in the water, you've actually captured dangerous rocks.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,784

NixonS wrote:

Hi all,

Went on a trip recently to the Mornington Peninsula Shire, all the shots here were taken at Cape Schanck, a sight to behold. Comment and criticism is welcomed and appreciated. I'm looking to improve myself as a photographer and so I'd appreciated any feedback, what you like or don't like so much, or what shot stands out.

Thank you, and happy shooting as always

Dark Clouds & A Lighthouse

The Cliff

Rocks in the Water

These 3 are the most interesting to me, the others just don't do much for me.  These 3 look like you were really looking at your subject and thinking creatively.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
OP NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 264

Quarkcharmed wrote:

Nice shots, b&w ones look good, I like the abstract #2.

Looks like you didn't get to the Pulpit rock - a popular place to photograph but sketchy at high tide.

The Peninsula is full of wonders, almost every beach on the ocean side provides lots of opportunities. Most of them are sunset places but Cape Schanck is both sunset and sunrise, depending on the season.

In terms of the critique, 'tranquil waters' is probably far from the reality with that much foam in the water, you've actually captured dangerous rocks.

Thank you for the feedback Quark!

I like abstract photography quite a bit, it's one of those things you can very creative with.

And I knew the irony wouldn't be lost there. Yep, the waves were absolute chaos

I reckon I'll spend a lot more time in Mornington next time I'm in the area. Lovely place.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more

Thanks mfinley,

I like those shots too and I can see why you think the others lack focus in comparison.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,870

I like 2 & 4. The last one sky looks over processed.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
FMohsin
FMohsin Senior Member • Posts: 1,602

Enjoyed your pictures. They have a very 'film' look. There's really nothing to criticize. Sometimes you just want to enjoy some pictures without thinking about what's good and what's bad. So I just enjoyed these pics. Glad to see someone still using the old 5D.

FMohsin's gear list:FMohsin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 20D Olympus E-1 +22 more

gavin wrote:

I like 2 & 4. The last one sky looks over processed.

Thanks for the honest feedback Gavin

Think I may have gotten too excited with the clarity slider and adjustment brush for the last one lol

FMohsin wrote:

Enjoyed your pictures. They have a very 'film' look. There's really nothing to criticize. Sometimes you just want to enjoy some pictures without thinking about what's good and what's bad. So I just enjoyed these pics. Glad to see someone still using the old 5D.

Thanks for feedback FMohsin! Funny you mention film, because I used some film presets as a starting point for the edits

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads