Upgrading from Nikon D610 -> D850/Z7

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dale Gribble Junior Member • Posts: 25
Upgrading from Nikon D610 -> D850/Z7

Hi All

I do landscape photography & I’ve been wondering about changing from my Nikon D610 once it dies to something with more megapixels, dynamic range & something which has better video specs (like 120 fps)

I was just after feedback from anyone who’s made a similar jump & how you found having a camera with more megapixels, better dynamic range & how you found having more video spec options was? AND if you’ve made the jump to the Z7 how have you found working with a mirrorless camera regarding battery life & weatherproofing? (I smash my camera doing seascapes)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dale

Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,383
Re: Upgrading from Nikon D610 -> D850/Z7

Dale Gribble wrote:

Hi All

I do landscape photography & I’ve been wondering about changing from my Nikon D610 once it dies to something with more megapixels, dynamic range & something which has better video specs (like 120 fps)

I was just after feedback from anyone who’s made a similar jump & how you found having a camera with more megapixels, better dynamic range & how you found having more video spec options was?

I had a D610, and I currently have a D850, Z6 (and D500).  I work professionally, mostly with environmental portraiture, a little city/landscapes.

I don't find a benefit of the extra pixels in the D850.  It's noisy compared to the Z6 and the D610, and about the same as the D500. Although a jump of 24MP to 45MP sounds like a lot, its really not that much - we're talking about a width pixel count of 8200 vs. 6000. The extra pixels to me only put more strain on the computer (I'm using a one year old iMac). I think 24MP is a sweet spot. I'm glad we got to that point, and I'm sure some people like having 45MP, but for me its not worth the downsides.

The D610 was an amazing quality sensor for the time.  I think the Z6 is significantly better.  There are certain instances where banding rears its head when you push the brightness or some effects in post by a very significant amount, but its not an issue in the real world.

AND if you’ve made the jump to the Z7 how have you found working with a mirrorless camera regarding battery life & weatherproofing? (I smash my camera doing seascapes)

Battery life is terrible compared to a DSLR, but how many photos do you take?  I find myself charging the battery more often than with a DSLR, but its out of caution more than anything, and I've never run out of power or even had to change the battery during a gig. One of the MkII's might be better for you if you think this will be an issue since you can use a grip with extra battery power.  I've done events with the Z6 and it hasn't been an issue.

I don't have any experience in using weather housing.  I've used the Z6 in light rain, but my lenses aren't as weatherproof as some of the Nikon lenses, so I don't typically use it in anything heavier.  If my lenses were properly weather sealed, I think I'd be confident the Z6 would be okay.

Video on the Z6, especially with people involved is better than that on the D850.  I never use anything but manual focus on the D850, but I have confidence in the AF of the Z6 for video to not be hunting. I also find the Z6 white balance to be better than the D850, and while I don't really pay much attention to this for photos since I shoot raw, I think its a benefit for video.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +16 more
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 872

richiebee wrote:

Dale Gribble wrote:

Hi All

I was just after feedback from anyone who’s made a similar jump & how you found having a camera with more megapixels, better dynamic range & how you found having more video spec options was?

I had a D610, and I currently have a D850, Z6 (and D500). I work professionally, mostly with environmental portraiture, a little city/landscapes.

I don't find a benefit of the extra pixels in the D850. It's noisy compared to the Z6 and the D610, and about the same as the D500. Although a jump of 24MP to 45MP sounds like a lot, its really not that much - we're talking about a width pixel count of 8200 vs. 6000. The extra pixels to me only put more strain on the computer (I'm using a one year old iMac). I think 24MP is a sweet spot. I'm glad we got to that point, and I'm sure some people like having 45MP, but for me its not worth the downsides.

The D610 was an amazing quality sensor for the time. I think the Z6 is significantly better. There are certain instances where banding rears its head when you push the brightness or some effects in post by a very significant amount, but its not an issue in the real world.

AND if you’ve made the jump to the Z7 how have you found working with a mirrorless camera regarding battery life & weatherproofing? (I smash my camera doing seascapes)

Battery life is terrible compared to a DSLR, but how many photos do you take? I find myself charging the battery more often than with a DSLR, but its out of caution more than anything, and I've never run out of power or even had to change the battery during a gig. One of the MkII's might be better for you if you think this will be an issue since you can use a grip with extra battery power. I've done events with the Z6 and it hasn't been an issue.

I don't have any experience in using weather housing. I've used the Z6 in light rain, but my lenses aren't as weatherproof as some of the Nikon lenses, so I don't typically use it in anything heavier. If my lenses were properly weather sealed, I think I'd be confident the Z6 would be okay.

Video on the Z6, especially with people involved is better than that on the D850. I never use anything but manual focus on the D850, but I have confidence in the AF of the Z6 for video to not be hunting. I also find the Z6 white balance to be better than the D850, and while I don't really pay much attention to this for photos since I shoot raw, I think its a benefit for video.

I had a D600, sold it and very recently bought a used D810. The number of mp wasn't the biggest concern for me in making my decision, I wanted a technologically more advanced camera, but I would be surprised if the extra mps wouldn't offer any benefit at all.

This article might help you make a decision about moving up to a higher mp camera:

https://photographylife.com/how-much-resolution-do-you-really-need

blink667's gear list:blink667's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,267

I made a bigger jump from a D700 (12mp) to a D800e (36mp).  I found the extra resolution highly addictive.  It provides amazing detail.

When the D810 came out, I got one of those to make a better 2-camera pairing than the D700/D800e pair.   It was a much better pairing, and about that time I got a dive housing for the D810 and started diving with it.  Underwater photography is challenging in a number of ways, and I really started appreciating every last bit of dynamic range.  I learned to shoot as much as possible at ISO 64 (with dual strobes) so as to have the most latitude in post-processing.  I found that latitude goes away very fast as the ISO goes up.

I also appreciated the 36mp more and more, partly because I crop heavily.  Some of the cropping is to eliminate poor corners, a common underwater issue.  Some of it is because I can only get so close to critters, and part of that is that I only have access to two lenses for underwater, a 105vr and or a 16-35.  It's a common wildlife scenario - you just don't have 'enough lens'.  I crop shamelessly, and that's including doing it for the web.  It's a form of flexibility to have a camera capable of doing that.

I don't know what it will be like to jump from a decent 24mp camera.  My jump was bigger and more noticeable.  After 4 years of shooting the D810 underwater I took the D850 last year.  The jump there was much smaller, but noticeable.  Biggest difference was in the faster, more capable autofocus, which let me get shots I was missing with the D810.  The extra resolution didn't hurt, but wasn't all that noticeable.  There was a small increase in dynamic range, and you can feel every little bit there when you are pushing hard in post-processing.

Video - I have no experience with a Z7, and very little for video on the D850.  But when I tried video, I found the autofocus to be pretty much unusable in challenging situations.  I would think the Z cameras have to be better there.

I can tell you that a D850 is likely to feel a lot faster than a D610, and probably heavier.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +37 more
mek42 Regular Member • Posts: 174

That articlwe was helpful for me.  Thank you.

mek42's gear list:mek42's gear list
Nikon D2Hs
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,542

Dale Gribble wrote:

Hi All

I was just after feedback from anyone who’s made a similar jump & how you found having a camera with more megapixels, better dynamic range & how you found having more video spec options was? AND if you’ve made the jump to the Z7 how have you found working with a mirrorless camera regarding battery life & weatherproofing? (I smash my camera doing seascapes)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dale

Z7 has only XQD card slot which is not compatible with SD cards and seems at least 5x more expensive (if you don't need the speed of XQD)

D850 has both SD card and XQD card slot.

I suppose if you gotta have Z7, extra $100 for each card may not be the deal breaker but apparently Nikon has seen their mistake and Z7II is expected to have SD and XQD card slot.

Does anyone remember sony Memory stick? XQD seems sony proprietary...

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 J5 Pentax 645Z Canon EOS RP Fujifilm GFX 50R
sdias Contributing Member • Posts: 506

Dale Gribble wrote:

if you’ve made the jump to the Z7 how have you found working with a mirrorless camera regarding battery life & weatherproofing? (I smash my camera doing seascapes)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dale

I do use a Z7 and 24-70 S F/4 for travel and landscape.  I also have the D700, D750 and D500.

For me the D500 which I use for wildlife is an instrument in my hand for making photos, not just a camera. Similarly, the D850 is what I would call a finely tuned instrument which will give you enjoyment in use for many years. The Z7 is just another camera. If Nikon decides to replace the D850 with a similar DSLR with a higher FPS, I will buy it in a heartbeat. The D850 is still in high demand and selling well.

twan Senior Member • Posts: 2,705

Why isn't the D780 mentioned?
I agree that 24mpx is great. I don't shoot Nikon but a Fuji X-T2.

Because I want to upgrade for more (AF)speed, i'm reading here too.

twan's gear list:twan's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,409
About that supposed "better dynamic range"

Dale Gribble wrote:

Hi All

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dale

Check out this DR comparison at Photons to Photos:

https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

mek42 Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: About that supposed "better dynamic range"

toomanycanons wrote:

Dale Gribble wrote:

Hi All

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dale

Check out this DR comparison at Photons to Photos:

https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

This was helpful for me.  Thank you!

mek42's gear list:mek42's gear list
Nikon D2Hs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads