Can anyone explain this ... ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
lrcphoto Forum Member • Posts: 69
Can anyone explain this ... ?

I've just started dabbling with astrophotography using the XT1 and 56mm and had no problems with manual focus. Last night I thought I'd give the 18-135 a go. So I'm in live view, focus, take a shot, then review to check focus. When I go back to live view the focus point has shifted. While it was near the infinity mark originally, its shifted to around the 10metre mark!

If I just shoot without reviewing then the focus point doesn't shift but obviously that's not much use with astrophotography. I've scoured the setup menus but there's nothing obvious there that I can see.

Any thoughts anyone, or is this just a "feature" of this lens? None of my other lenses to this - 16, 35, 56, 100-400.

Thanks

lrcphoto's gear list:lrcphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William Loney
William Loney Regular Member • Posts: 401
Re: Can anyone explain this ... ?

lrcphoto wrote:

I've just started dabbling with astrophotography using the XT1 and 56mm and had no problems with manual focus. Last night I thought I'd give the 18-135 a go. So I'm in live view, focus, take a shot, then review to check focus. When I go back to live view the focus point has shifted. While it was near the infinity mark originally, its shifted to around the 10metre mark!

If I just shoot without reviewing then the focus point doesn't shift but obviously that's not much use with astrophotography. I've scoured the setup menus but there's nothing obvious there that I can see.

Any thoughts anyone, or is this just a "feature" of this lens? None of my other lenses to this - 16, 35, 56, 100-400.

Thanks

Is your 'pre-AF' on?

Just a guess. Don't know if it actually works when in MF mode, but maybe worth a look?

William Loney's gear list:William Loney's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
OP lrcphoto Forum Member • Posts: 69

Thanks William ... no it's not. But I've just tried it on the XP2 and it doesn't do it - focus stays put! Compared settings between XP2 and XT1 and there's nothing there that I can see that would explain the behaviour on the XT1. I've been using the XT1 because the tilting screen makes things so much easier for a senior citizen with a bad back and a dodgy knee 

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,598

lrcphoto wrote:

It's probably not related, but I had another AF problem with the 18-135 on my X-T20. Doesn't happen with my other lenses (18-55, 56/1.2). I still have the problem, pretty much preventing me from trying out back-button focusing.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4363424

Maybe check if you have the latest firmware for both the camera and lens?

Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 773

Did you accidentally touch the touch screen?

Martin

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
OP lrcphoto Forum Member • Posts: 69

Doh ... I'm normally pretty good on firmware updates but somehow missed the 18-135. Checked this morning and upgraded to 1.20 and it all appears to be working fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads