Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

I have had the Canon 24mm TS-E Mark One since 2006 but have seldom used it. It cost only £770. In practice I tend to edit files in post to correct converging verticals - which is my main requirement - using the excellent Capture One 20. The bodies are 5DS-R, 5D-IV and 6D-II.

I have read the various reports that the Mark One is inferior to the current version and will be even further relegated by the new RF lenses.

I was about to sell mine to MPB UK because I have such little use for this lens. If I were to replace it I do not want to spend the sort of money needed for the current or RF versions.

Of course the third party lenses from Samyang Rokinon Walimex etc are more affordable.

My question is: variable quality checking by 3rd party manufacturers aside, does my current Canon TS-E 24mm give better results than the more recent 3rd party alternatives? I tend to shoot at f5.6 / f8 rather than wide open and mainly the subjects for this lens are buildings. I would probably do some video with it simply because it can be done rather than that TS-E video is important for me.

Many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Pete

John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 945
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

The lens comparison site backs up my original thought that the Canon is sharper.  The Canon appears to have more chromatic aberation, but that is pretty easy to fix these days.  The Canon will also have better build quality.

The next question is, why even bother replacing it with a tilt/shift since you don't use it anyway?

There will be lenses comparable in price to your current TS-E that will be better than either.  You could try selling the Canon privately around the $700 USD mark.

 John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,706
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

I'm minded to suggest that you answer your own question through lack of use of movements?

There are lots of good 'ordinary' 24's out there.

In my own testing I found the off axis response of the samyang slightly better than the mk1 TS-E24, but nowhere near the TS-E24mm mk2, which is an excellent lens.

My main issue with the Samyang was the barrel distortion, which whilst fixable needed a custom solution to cope with the off-centred optical axis.

The mk1 24 is what first got me using titl/shift lenses - somethings I now do rather a lot...

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

 Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Shirozina Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

ashton lamont wrote:

I have had the Canon 24mm TS-E Mark One since 2006 but have seldom used it. It cost only £770. In practice I tend to edit files in post to correct converging verticals - which is my main requirement - using the excellent Capture One 20. The bodies are 5DS-R, 5D-IV and 6D-II.

I have read the various reports that the Mark One is inferior to the current version and will be even further relegated by the new RF lenses.

I was about to sell mine to MPB UK because I have such little use for this lens. If I were to replace it I do not want to spend the sort of money needed for the current or RF versions.

Of course the third party lenses from Samyang Rokinon Walimex etc are more affordable.

My question is: variable quality checking by 3rd party manufacturers aside, does my current Canon TS-E 24mm give better results than the more recent 3rd party alternatives? I tend to shoot at f5.6 / f8 rather than wide open and mainly the subjects for this lens are buildings. I would probably do some video with it simply because it can be done rather than that TS-E video is important for me.

Many thanks.

The MK1 shift is pretty mediocre by any standards and the MK2 is night and day difference.  You can get used MK2's for around £1000 if you shop carefully. Due to the optical design of the shift lenses I doubt they will make RF versions as the optics have to be placed a good distance from the sensor to ensure low angles of incidence to the sensor at shift extremes. You won't regret buying the Mk2 and it can also become a very good 35mm shift with the 1.4 III extender.

Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,706
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

Shirozina wrote:

ashton lamont wrote:

I have had the Canon 24mm TS-E Mark One since 2006 but have seldom used it. It cost only £770. In practice I tend to edit files in post to correct converging verticals - which is my main requirement - using the excellent Capture One 20. The bodies are 5DS-R, 5D-IV and 6D-II.

I have read the various reports that the Mark One is inferior to the current version and will be even further relegated by the new RF lenses.

I was about to sell mine to MPB UK because I have such little use for this lens. If I were to replace it I do not want to spend the sort of money needed for the current or RF versions.

Of course the third party lenses from Samyang Rokinon Walimex etc are more affordable.

My question is: variable quality checking by 3rd party manufacturers aside, does my current Canon TS-E 24mm give better results than the more recent 3rd party alternatives? I tend to shoot at f5.6 / f8 rather than wide open and mainly the subjects for this lens are buildings. I would probably do some video with it simply because it can be done rather than that TS-E video is important for me.

Many thanks.

The MK1 shift is pretty mediocre by any standards

No I disagree - many have used it with excellent results - it takes care and attention.

It has its well known failings, but mediocre it is not.

and the MK2 is night and day difference.

It is indeed much better

You can get used MK2's for around £1000 if you shop carefully

yes - there is a steady stream of people buying them and realising that it's not for them - much like the second hand fish-eye lens market

. Due to the optical design of the shift lenses I doubt they will make RF versions as the optics have to be placed a good distance from the sensor to ensure low angles of incidence to the sensor at shift extremes.

We shall see

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

 Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Shirozina Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

Keith Cooper wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

ashton lamont wrote:

I have had the Canon 24mm TS-E Mark One since 2006 but have seldom used it. It cost only £770. In practice I tend to edit files in post to correct converging verticals - which is my main requirement - using the excellent Capture One 20. The bodies are 5DS-R, 5D-IV and 6D-II.

I have read the various reports that the Mark One is inferior to the current version and will be even further relegated by the new RF lenses.

I was about to sell mine to MPB UK because I have such little use for this lens. If I were to replace it I do not want to spend the sort of money needed for the current or RF versions.

Of course the third party lenses from Samyang Rokinon Walimex etc are more affordable.

My question is: variable quality checking by 3rd party manufacturers aside, does my current Canon TS-E 24mm give better results than the more recent 3rd party alternatives? I tend to shoot at f5.6 / f8 rather than wide open and mainly the subjects for this lens are buildings. I would probably do some video with it simply because it can be done rather than that TS-E video is important for me.

Many thanks.

The MK1 shift is pretty mediocre by any standards

No I disagree - many have used it with excellent results - it takes care and attention.

It has its well known failings, but mediocre it is not.

and the MK2 is night and day difference.

It is indeed much better

You can get used MK2's for around £1000 if you shop carefully

yes - there is a steady stream of people buying them and realising that it's not for them - much like the second hand fish-eye lens market

. Due to the optical design of the shift lenses I doubt they will make RF versions as the optics have to be placed a good distance from the sensor to ensure low angles of incidence to the sensor at shift extremes.

We shall see

I still call it mediocre. It comes from an era when Canon had no wide angle lenses in it's lineup that were adequate for the  full frame digital sensors like the 12mp for the 5D. I remember this was the era of the 'alt lens' where people like me were adapting non Canon lenses to EF to get descent wide angle performance. That all changed with the MK2 and has has continued to improved ever since.

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,895
Re: Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L Mark I or Samyang Tilt Shift

Keith Cooper wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

ashton lamont wrote:

I have had the Canon 24mm TS-E Mark One since 2006 but have seldom used it. It cost only £770. In practice I tend to edit files in post to correct converging verticals - which is my main requirement - using the excellent Capture One 20. The bodies are 5DS-R, 5D-IV and 6D-II.

I have read the various reports that the Mark One is inferior to the current version and will be even further relegated by the new RF lenses.

I was about to sell mine to MPB UK because I have such little use for this lens. If I were to replace it I do not want to spend the sort of money needed for the current or RF versions.

Of course the third party lenses from Samyang Rokinon Walimex etc are more affordable.

My question is: variable quality checking by 3rd party manufacturers aside, does my current Canon TS-E 24mm give better results than the more recent 3rd party alternatives? I tend to shoot at f5.6 / f8 rather than wide open and mainly the subjects for this lens are buildings. I would probably do some video with it simply because it can be done rather than that TS-E video is important for me.

Many thanks.

The MK1 shift is pretty mediocre by any standards

No I disagree - many have used it with excellent results - it takes care and attention.

It has its well known failings, but mediocre it is not.

and the MK2 is night and day difference.

It is indeed much better

You can get used MK2's for around £1000 if you shop carefully

yes - there is a steady stream of people buying them and realising that it's not for them - much like the second hand fish-eye lens market

I remember a long time ago humming and ha-ing over a 35mm TS lens when I bought my first SLR.  It was going cheap because it had sat too long in the shop.  I made the right decision, but I still regret not buying it...

. Due to the optical design of the shift lenses I doubt they will make RF versions as the optics have to be placed a good distance from the sensor to ensure low angles of incidence to the sensor at shift extremes.

We shall see

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,706
The original TS-E24 can still be worthwhile

Shirozina wrote:

I still call it mediocre.

Call it what you like...

I'll still happily recommend a cheaper used one for someone wanting to learn about using lens movements.

If someone wants top notch image quality, they can move on to something newer and more expensive. Sometimes worrying about lens performance matters, sometimes it's irrelevant to the experience and results.

Used ones hold their value - so it's not that great a cost to see if tilt and or shift might matter to your photography.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

 Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads