17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Stephen_H Junior Member • Posts: 46
17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Hi all

I'm looking at replacing my 18-55 kit lens on my K-50. This 17-70 looks like the perfect replacement, and the reviews on both are favorable.

What are your opinions on the two?

Native or third party? Which is sharpest?  Which focusses better? Which just feels better and gives that warm glow inside?

-- hide signature --

Stephen H.
----------------------------------------------------------
Pentax K-50 with kit les (sorry) and the beautiful 35 macro limited.

Stephen_H's gear list:Stephen_H's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Stephen_H Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: 17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Correction... Sigma, not Tamron. My mistake and I can't figure out how to edit my post.

-- hide signature --

Stephen H.

howieb101 Contributing Member • Posts: 695

You should also consider the Sigma 17-50mm HSM.

I have that and the Pentax DA 17-70mm F4.

My preference is the Sigma for equivalently good image quality and better autofocus speed.

They are both good though.

howieb101's gear list:howieb101's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax KP +11 more
Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,220

Stephen_H wrote:

This 17-70 looks like the perfect replacement, and the reviews on both are favorable.

The Pentax DA17-70mm is my favourite lens but you should know how to use it. I always focus at 70mm, lock focus, zoom out to the desired focal lenght and take my picture. Sometimes when contrast is low, it has difficulty with focussing. As it has the quick shift AF system you can "assist" the AF. It will focus automatically then if you turn the ring to infinity.

I used to have a Sigma 17-70mm, which is about equally sharp as the Pentax 17-70mm, but the colours it gives are warmer (more yellow) than those of the Pentax. The Pentax gives nice, rich colours. It has a tendency to underexpose. This is no problem for RAW shooters but may be a problem for JPG shooters.

Hythloday's gear list:Hythloday's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Sigma!

Stephen_H wrote:

Hi all

I'm looking at replacing my 18-55 kit lens on my K-50. This 17-70 looks like the perfect replacement, and the reviews on both are favorable.

Native or third party? Which is sharpest? Which focusses better? Which just feels better and gives that warm glow inside?

I've compared both the Pentax 17-70mm f/4 and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. Pentax is an absolute junk compared to Sigma's iteration.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Re: Sigma!

Massao wrote:

and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. Pentax is an absolute junk compared to Sigma's iteration.

Gosh! That's a definitive answer. Thank you for your commitment in your opinion. It speaks volumes.

-- hide signature --

Stephen H.

Thomas_St New Member • Posts: 3

Why not going for the Pentax HD DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR?

I think it's the sharper lens, you get 15mm more on the longer side of the zoom range and you may also like weather resistance.

I have the Pentax SMC DA 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM, I'm not really unhappy, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,220

Massao wrote:

Pentax is an absolute junk compared to Sigma's iteration.

A faulty copy? Or you cannot handle the lens?

I also had a Sigma 17-70, but sold it because of the yellow colour cast it produces.

Hythloday's gear list:Hythloday's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 2,109

Definitely Sigma, but buy it at a good store with easy returns. You may need to try several copies before you find a good one.

Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

Here is the K3 with the Sigma 17-70mm and a Pentax AF-200 FG flash. Amazon has a link to KEH for the flash in like new condition with a warranty for $30.00 US. The flash does not have a bounce head but add a diffuser or just pull out the built in one and you should be good to go.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +58 more

Thomas_St wrote:

I think it's the sharper lens, you get 15mm more on the longer side of the zoom range and you may also like weather resistance.

I have the Pentax SMC DA 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM, I'm not really unhappy, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Money... it's literally twice the price.

I'm already getting an extra 15mm over the kit lens. If that doesn't satisfy, a further 30mm won't either. At this length & price, I feel like I'm drifting into another lens category.

-- hide signature --

Stephen H.

Thomas_St New Member • Posts: 3

Stephen_H wrote:

Thomas_St wrote:

Money... it's literally twice the price.

I'm already getting an extra 15mm over the kit lens. If that doesn't satisfy, a further 30mm won't either. At this length & price, I feel like I'm drifting into another lens category.

Interesting, I just checked price for both lenses on amazon.de:

HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR: 523,72 €
Pentax SMC-DA 17-70mm / f4,0 (IF) SDM: 548,75 €
So, at least in Germany  they cost almost the same, the 16-85 is even a bit less expensive...

The Sigma website has the 17-70mm for $500.00 US and the Sigma factory outlet store has the refurbished 17-70mm for $379.00 US.

Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +58 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

Rahto wrote:

The Sigma website has the 17-70mm for $500.00 US and the Sigma factory outlet store has the refurbished 17-70mm for $379.00 US.

Which 17-70, the 2.8?

B&H has the Pentax 17-70 for $500 and the 16-85 on sale for $550.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more

Its the17-70mm 2.8-4.0 C

I just checked again and this one on the outlet site is for a Sony mount but they often have K mount because this is where I got mine.

17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Refurbished | SIGMA America (sigmaphoto.com)

FantasticMrFox
FantasticMrFox Regular Member • Posts: 141

I have the Sigma 17-50 HSM on my K3 and find it to be so-so. Optically I am relatively happy with it, however the AF is hit and miss, good enough most of the time, but upon closer inspection it often misfocuses, despite me having calibrated the focus to the best of my abilities. Also take into account that it has no degree of weather sealing whatsoever, something I miss on my K3 compared to the sealed 18-55 kit.

The current Pentax is sealed, but by all accounts a terribly overpriced lens for its lacklustre optical performance. Even Pentaxforums ranked it last in its comparison with the Tamron and Sigma.

If you can wait a little, the upcoming new Pentax 16-50 will probably outperform all of the above in every respect (optically, sealing, AF ...), but will be considerably more expensive, of course.

Edit: My bad, I somehow misread and thought you are looking for a 16-50 style lens. Well, now you have some recommendations for those

-- hide signature --

Portfolio, travelogues and reviews on my website: http://www.thefoxtakespictures.com

FantasticMrFox's gear list:FantasticMrFox's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax K-3 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +2 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,471

From what I've read the 17-70 is prone to the same SDM malfunction as the 16-50. I skipped it and went from the 16-45 f/4 to the 16-85.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
Jhaakas
Jhaakas Senior Member • Posts: 1,159
Re: 17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please) - Tamron 17-50/2.8

Stephen_H wrote:

Correction... Sigma, not Tamron. My mistake and I can't figure out how to edit my post.

Go with the Pentax.. nice colors and very much Pentax IQ you want.

Sigma is also highly rated but I feel colors are bit muted and on the cooler side

However, I would recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8 which is really good, very much Pentax like colors and Plus it is f2.8 so very good indoors as well

-- hide signature --

-- ## Thanks!

Jhaakas's gear list:Jhaakas's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +3 more
TheLastMan Regular Member • Posts: 425

Massao wrote:

Stephen_H wrote:

Hi all

Native or third party? Which is sharpest? Which focusses better? Which just feels better and gives that warm glow inside?

I've compared both the Pentax 17-70mm f/4 and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. Pentax is an absolute junk compared to Sigma's iteration.

Better still, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, super sharp - much better quality than either the Pentax or Tamron.  Cheaper than the 17-70 and probably better too, if you can manage without the extra 20mm of reach

TheLastMan's gear list:TheLastMan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: 17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please) - Tamron 17-50/2.8

Jhaakas wrote:

Stephen_H wrote:

Go with the Pentax.. nice colors and very much Pentax IQ you want.

Sigma is also highly rated but I feel colors are bit muted and on the cooler side

However, I would recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8 which is really good, very much Pentax like colors and Plus it is f2.8 so very good indoors as well

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a nice and sharp lens (if you're lucky to get a good copy) but I don't think it's actually 2.8. It underexposes consistently, so it's more like an F3.5-4 lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads