18-135 on k3 mkiii

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,104
18-135 on k3 mkiii

I am constantly impressed with the 18-135 on my k3 mki

When you nail a shot at the right aperture sweet spot for the focal length and bring all 24mp of non aliasing filter sensor goodness to bear on the image, its a very satisfying result.

It loves f8 out wide but at 135mm the centre sharpness at f5.6 is also staggering.

Strange but wonderful that a lens enjoys stopping back to give you more light at a longer focal length...

Its a fast moving lens and while I do occasionally find the k3 will not lock correctly even though the lens has rocketed into position, the AF let's me down by not quite hitting the mark ( even though my eyes can detect and I realise in time most often)

In hoping that Pentax will 'come good' on their statement to "pay utmost attention to auto focus tracking " and hopefully also general accuracy and speed ....

I'm just imagining how good the new 26mp sensor, new processor and software will render results,not only on the 18-135 but all lenses:

However as a pure 'jack of all things' kit lens, I think it will enhance the Capabilities of the 18-135 even further.

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,447
Re: 18-135 on k3 mkiii

robbo d wrote:

When you nail a shot at the right aperture sweet spot for the focal length and bring all 24mp of non aliasing filter sensor goodness to bear on the image, its a very satisfying result.

It loves f8 out wide but at 135mm the centre sharpness at f5.6 is also staggering.

Strange but wonderful that a lens enjoys stopping back to give you more light at a longer focal length...

Its a fast moving lens and while I do occasionally find the k3 will not lock correctly even though the lens has rocketed into position, the AF let's me down by not quite hitting the mark ( even though my eyes can detect and I realise in time most often)

In hoping that Pentax will 'come good' on their statement to "pay utmost attention to auto focus tracking " and hopefully also general accuracy and speed ....

I'm just imagining how good the new 26mp sensor, new processor and software will render results,not only on the 18-135 but all lenses:

However as a pure 'jack of all things' kit lens, I think it will enhance the Capabilities of the 18-135 even further.

The K-3 III is turning out to be quite a Rorschach test .  Since so little is known about it, you can imagine it to be anything you'd like.

The 18-135 is a fine lens, but there's no evidence yet that it will work any better on the K-3 III than any other camera.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
OP robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,104

Mark Ransom wrote:

robbo d wrote:

The K-3 III is turning out to be quite a Rorschach test . Since so little is known about it, you can imagine it to be anything you'd like.

The 18-135 is a fine lens, but there's no evidence yet that it will work any better on the K-3 III than any other camera.

Well, we know the k3 mk1 & 2.

We know the 18-135

We know what Pentax have given or promised thus far...

A better body with better image processing and 'improved auto focus' ( regardless by how much)  is likely to yield a better result.

To give us a warmed up k3 would be suicidal and im 100% convinced that the improvements will be sufficient enough to make the 18-135 a stand out.

Yes it is a fine lens but is also limited by current Pentax AF plus is sufficiently good enough optically to be able to deal with the extra 2mp and better processing.

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

Mark Ransom wrote:

robbo d wrote:

The K-3 III is turning out to be quite a Rorschach test .

Quote of the month!

Since so little is known about it, you can imagine it to be anything you'd like.

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,506

Ehm.. what other lenses you have? Put Sig 35/1.4 Art on it, use F4 and observe what K3 24 Mpix detail is.... 18-135 is far behind.

But that does not mean that I don't like that lens. It is one of my most used due to weight/size/range/WR combination.

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Stylus 1s +33 more
OP robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,104

xmeda wrote:

Ehm.. what other lenses you have? Put Sig 35/1.4 Art on it, use F4 and observe what K3 24 Mpix detail is.... 18-135 is far behind.

But that does not mean that I don't like that lens. It is one of my most used due to weight/size/range/WR combination.

Its pretty obvious that high quality prime lenses will shine, I'm not that stupid....

What im saying is that the 18-135 for what it is, a kit lens, jack of all trades is pretty darn good.

I get consistently good results sharp when used within its sweet spots, its one of few native Pentax system fast focusing lenses that will shine with both improved IQ and AF systems.

Don't get started on what we do and don't know about the AF. Pentax have stated "utmost attention paid to auto focus tracking" so even in Pentax speak, that has to mean some sort of significant improvements given the extra focus points.

It's just a very very handy all rounder that will handle and shine with those improvements.

The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Contributing Member • Posts: 668

robbo d wrote:

Indeed!

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads