Saint Nikon

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Whois Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Saint Nikon

Today is the feast day of Saint Nikon! In the Eastern Orthodox Church saints have a great importance and each saint has their special day. The 26 of November is Saint Nikon 

I didn’t realize that there was a saint Nikon until I passed a village named Agios Nikon (Agios means saint in Greek) in the southern Mani on the Peloponese (Greece).
Here is a photo of the road sign at the entrance of the village to prove it all: https://www.west-crete.com/dailypics/photos3/agios-nikon.jpg

Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,028
Re: Saint Nikon

NEAT

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS 6D Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
david wr Regular Member • Posts: 365

he must have been canonized then

pounch New Member • Posts: 24

david wr wrote:

Brilliant !

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,202

Is Nikon a proper name in Greek? Possibly a variant of Nikola/Nikolas, which, I think, is a Croatian first name, with variants everywhere.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
OP Whois Contributing Member • Posts: 741

rhlpetrus wrote:

Is Nikon a proper name in Greek? Possibly a variant of Nikola/Nikolas, which, I think, is a Croatian first name, with variants everywhere.

The etymology is not the same (Nikon is written with omega, not omicron so Νικων) so no relation to Nikolas (who has his feast day on the 6th of December so definitely considered another saint).

I must say that I was not aware of saint Nikon until I saw this road sign last June

Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

david wr wrote:

:-)))))

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS 6D Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596
also a Patriarch and Metropolitans and Archibishops

Whois wrote:

Today is the feast day of Saint Nikon! In the Eastern Orthodox Church saints have a great importance and each saint has their special day. The 26 of November is Saint Nikon

In addition to Saint Nikon, there was also a Patriarch Nikon, who was the most important figure in the history of the Russian Orthodox Church. He lived in the 1600s. There's quite a lot of scholarship on him.

Another high Russian Orthodox official named Nikon played a small role in the Russian Revolution 250 years later. I can't remember his rank. Maybe a Metropolitan? And there was an Archbishop Nikon in the U.S. in the 20th century; I suspect many Russian Orthodox clergymen adopt the name in honor of either the saint or the Patriarch, or both.

Sometimes Patriarch Nikon will show up randomly in Google searches about the camera company, but it has to be a pretty oddly worded search. I'm prone to those.

Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Now I know who to ask for help with my photography.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

Twitchly wrote:

Now I know who to ask for help with my photography.

Tony Northrup?

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Blagoy Regular Member • Posts: 147
What a great find! NT

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads