The Lens That Delivers The Goods

Started 4 months ago | User reviews
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
The Lens That Delivers The Goods

As a professional Real Estate and Portrait photographer you can well imagine this lens would be a vital tool in my bag. I knew this going into the R5 and accordingly ordered it to be my first lens to work with on the new camera. Thus far it has delivered the goods in spades.

* Top flight sharpness across the frame even wide open on the same plain.

* Flawless color rendition with no notable chromatic aberrations requiring post processing elimination.

* Build quality that reminds me of Rolls Royce. Superbly tight construction with no play and smooth overall operation.

* Focus that is instant no waiting and dead on accurate

There is a good reason the 24-70 focal range is considered a staple of any photographer be it professional or enthusiast. I consider this lens a "Must Have" in the RF line

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
Zoom lens • Canon RF
Announced: Feb 14, 2019
ProDude's score
Average community score
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 422
Re: The Lens That Delivers The Goods

As a real Estate photographer, I'm surprised that you would be happy with a 28mm focal length. I use a 14mm for commercial interiors which are generally much larger and find that to be even too tight at times. The only time I consider using 28mm or more is when I go to exterior work. For portraiture work I think your lens choice is perfect, and that is a super lens so don't get me wrong but I think I'd definitely want a wider lens as my next choice for the real estate. Your R5 is definitely the Ferrari of cameras

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +6 more
OP ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

johncal wrote:

As a real Estate photographer, I'm surprised that you would be happy with a 28mm focal length. I use a 14mm for commercial interiors which are generally much larger and find that to be even too tight at times. The only time I consider using 28mm or more is when I go to exterior work. For portraiture work I think your lens choice is perfect, and that is a super lens so don't get me wrong but I think I'd definitely want a wider lens as my next choice for the real estate. Your R5 is definitely the Ferrari of cameras

Please do keep in mind I'm building my lens selection at this time. I've already invested in the RF24-70 f2.8L IS USM and a RF24-240 for fun with a RF100-500 on it's way. I do plan on acquiring the RF15-35 f2.8L IS USM at some point in the next year. Quite frankly though more often than not 24mm does the job for me. I do feel the advantage of having a 15-35 could make for easier shooting in tight conditions for sure. Looking at the future I can certainly see a RF85mm f1.2L IS in my bag.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,203

My RF 15-35 and RF24-70 are my core lenses.  Both for me deliver the goods and I use the RF 15-35 indoors maybe more than the RF24-70 but this must vary a lot with what you shoot.

While the RF85mmf1.2 and the RF50mmf1.2 are both amazing in IQ and a little big/heavy.  With 45MP the excellent IS with IBIS do matter even a moderate shooting speeds for real world shooting when hand held.   I love the 45MP image files though many times I may only actally need 20MP or less. Extra pixels provide versatiliity and flexibility in framing and cropping for me when surprises happen.

For me,  I will make due with my existing EF adapted L lenses and some Sigma Art primes.  I have to draw the line somewhere.   The RF100-500 does intrigue me and I get that inner feeling that could one day dry to own that lens after refurbs or instant rebates are available maybe next Christmas or the following year.  For me, the RF100-500 is more want than need.  When you add in the TCs too it becomes for me too much of a major budget killer particularly if you already have the very sharp but heavier EF 100-400 II and TCs. Other new excity opportunities to improve my gear may appear too.

I should keep some powder dry because we have the R1 possibly coming next year too.  The rumored R1 may too big and heavy to suit me for field work but already the rumors of quad pixels focus sound intriguing and awe inspiring.  The practical side of me says the R5 should be all I need for at least a couple of years.  For most of what I do it is the perfect blend of stills and video clips that works with my EF L lens collection and is backed up with the access to amazing RF glass if you need it and are willing to pay for it.

These are exciting times for a Canon shooter like me.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
OP ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

Many of us who have been at this for a while (say at least 20 or more years) we've become quite accustomed to seeing the ever changing landscape of models released. Time was that a given new model would come out say about every 2 years. Now it's anywhere from 6 months to a year. Tough on my VISA card to say the least  I have little doubt the R1 will be another ground breaking technological wonder. However one has to ask themselves..........what am I NOT able to do with my current camera......what is it doing that annoys me and makes me want to switch.

Once those questions are answered it becomes a lot easier to part with the $$$. The last time I parted with the R5's amount of cost was when the original 1D was released (If I recall it was at least $4500). Now these days I actually make money more often off my gear so it's a tad more justifiable, but still it's never an easy decision. The R5 was about the easiest decision I've made on a camera body in that 20 years. The other changes I made were more emotional then as one said "need". The R5 thus far ticks all the boxes of what I want to accomplish with a camera body.

That said I don't believe I'll be one motivated to move to a R1 since shooting speeds aren't my priority as it is for so very many. And I don't see anyone complaining about focus speeds and lock capabilities. It's already like having a "nightscope" as it sees in the dark. So to this point I have no complaints or issues as some may have. Now it's time to belly up and start getting my RF lenses all appointed this next year. Just a few more and I should be there......I think:-P

-- hide signature --

RDM5546

ProDude wrote:

Many of us who have been at this for a while (say at least 20 or more years) we've become quite accustomed to seeing the ever changing landscape of models released. Time was that a given new model would come out say about every 2 years. Now it's anywhere from 6 months to a year. Tough on my VISA card to say the least I have little doubt the R1 will be another ground breaking technological wonder. However one has to ask themselves..........what am I NOT able to do with my current camera......what is it doing that annoys me and makes me want to switch.

Once those questions are answered it becomes a lot easier to part with the $$$. The last time I parted with the R5's amount of cost was when the original 1D was released (If I recall it was at least $4500). Now these days I actually make money more often off my gear so it's a tad more justifiable, but still it's never an easy decision. The R5 was about the easiest decision I've made on a camera body in that 20 years. The other changes I made were more emotional then as one said "need". The R5 thus far ticks all the boxes of what I want to accomplish with a camera body.

That said I don't believe I'll be one motivated to move to a R1 since shooting speeds aren't my priority as it is for so very many. And I don't see anyone complaining about focus speeds and lock capabilities. It's already like having a "nightscope" as it sees in the dark. So to this point I have no complaints or issues as some may have. Now it's time to belly up and start getting my RF lenses all appointed this next year. Just a few more and I should be there......I think:-P

I am pretty sure I am safe when it comes to the R1 to resist it. The weight is going to be more and it is going to be big like the 1DXIII.    For me that is a deal killer unless it does for focus what dual pixel focus did for me an action shooting.   Dual pixel means the camera knows when to go from a single focus to the infocus destination and it got their directly.  Contrast focus used earlier is amazingly accurate and easy to detect but to go the the point of focus correctly requires the lens to make multiple measurements while oscillating back and forth.  This takes more time.  Cross type detectors can check both in the horizontal and vertical directions to be sure in rough cases.   Quad pixel is like dual pixels with a cross capability.   This could help in the corner cases when focus lock now fail and it increase yield in focus accurate challlenged cases.  Quad offers twice much focus information to the DIGIC X computer.  All of this is the Pro side, and there is bound to be some Con side of the argument.  Only trying a real product will tell how important the first level of implementation will be. I expect the R5MkII will have a new DIGIC XI processor and a quad second generation quad pixel sensor, better 8K leadership video and the beat moves on.   It more like ly I am saving up for the next generation 5D tradition camera.  Their design philosophy and implementation well suits my needs.

I was considering the Sony A9 couple of years old.  For me it was big deal with 25 EF lenses it is expensive to change brands and big deal.   I know Sony Stacked CMOS Sensor Technology is hard to achieve and Canon did not have Stacked CMOS capability for producing a sensor.   This worried me because of the increasing challenge of rolling shutter in the newer generations of hybrid high density CMOS sensors.  64ms sensor readouts were common and not going to make it the future electronic shutter world with EVFs and flicker/lag free live view readouts.   Canon did an amazing job to achieve the competitive dynamic range and sensor readout speed in a camera capable of both stills and video without resorting to stacked CMOS.   The pushed the limits and got there.  The Sony advantage that attracted me to the A9 with stacked CMOS cooled considerably at the time because it had a very slow mechanical shutter for a real world action camera so I just could not pull the trigger on the A9 at the time.  The A9 mk II has a little faster shutter but is not close at all to the 20fps Canon mechanical shutter technology in the 1DXIII or the 12FPS fast and quiet mechanical shutter in R5.  Ultimately my EF L lense collection held me to Canon which is a good thing and I did not find a need to leave the many things I love about Canon (color rendering and ergonomics are near the top of my lidy) to relearn the Sony  system, menus, small buttons, and small/sharp edged bodies that I found troubling at first trial.

Most likely I am done with buy more gear for a couple of years.   I have enough gear.  I just need more practice and knowledge about how to better use the gear I have.

Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

I am a full time pro, but my architectural work only comprises about 15% of what I do. Regardless, my most used lenses for interiors and exteriors are my: 17TS-E, 24TS-E, EF 16-35 f/4.0 and my RF 24-70 f/2.8. To me, the TS-E lenses are indispensable and the bitingly sharp f/4.0 16-35 a close second at the wide end. The RF 24-70 2.8 is, in general, a fantastic performer, but gets less use for architecture, most often for details and whole exteriors.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029

RDM5546 wrote:

My RF 15-35 and RF24-70 are my core lenses. Both for me deliver the goods and I use the RF 15-35 indoors maybe more than the RF24-70 but this must vary a lot with what you shoot.

While the RF85mmf1.2 and the RF50mmf1.2 are both amazing in IQ and a little big/heavy. With 45MP the excellent IS with IBIS do matter even a moderate shooting speeds for real world shooting when hand held. I love the 45MP image files though many times I may only actally need 20MP or less. Extra pixels provide versatiliity and flexibility in framing and cropping for me when surprises happen.

For me, I will make due with my existing EF adapted L lenses and some Sigma Art primes. I have to draw the line somewhere. The RF100-500 does intrigue me and I get that inner feeling that could one day dry to own that lens after refurbs or instant rebates are available maybe next Christmas or the following year. For me, the RF100-500 is more want than need. When you add in the TCs too it becomes for me too much of a major budget killer particularly if you already have the very sharp but heavier EF 100-400 II and TCs. Other new excity opportunities to improve my gear may appear too.

I see people comment on instant rebates on the RF 100-500 as a way to wait to get it. But here at least in Europe canon has a promotion. Buy one of the selected bodies and lens and get a selected amount off the lens. 
For the RF 100-500 you can get 300 cash back. I saw this promotion after I had bought the R5, and canon informed me that means it would be valid for me to buy the RF 100-500 and get 300 euros off it. The lens needs to be bought within 12 months of the body. 
Maybe there is a similar one in the US? Only real issue I have is finding a RF 100-500 to purchase here. It is currently still in a pre-order status on the online shops I have looked at here.

I should keep some powder dry because we have the R1 possibly coming next year too. The rumored R1 may too big and heavy to suit me for field work but already the rumors of quad pixels focus sound intriguing and awe inspiring. The practical side of me says the R5 should be all I need for at least a couple of years. For most of what I do it is the perfect blend of stills and video clips that works with my EF L lens collection and is backed up with the access to amazing RF glass if you need it and are willing to pay for it.

ProDude wrote:

Many of us who have been at this for a while (say at least 20 or more years) we've become quite accustomed to seeing the ever changing landscape of models released. Time was that a given new model would come out say about every 2 years. Now it's anywhere from 6 months to a year. Tough on my VISA card to say the least I have little doubt the R1 will be another ground breaking technological wonder. However one has to ask themselves..........what am I NOT able to do with my current camera......what is it doing that annoys me and makes me want to switch.

What the R5 actually needs is some more features through FW updates if you ask me. 
20 fps is more than enough for pretty much everyone. Heck 12 fps with electronic first curtain shutter is more than enough for most. Issue I have is that in e-shutter mode we only have 1 or 20 fps and nothing in between. 
I only really need mechanical shutter when I want to maximise DR, or eliminate rolling shutter. I would be shooting in electronic most 70-80 percent of the time since it pretty much eliminates wear and tear. Canon should release a FW update for...

1. Other fps speeds in silent mode.

2. More resolution options for RAW, like MRAW, since we don't always need a 45 MP file.

3. More customisability for buttons. Don't get me wrong I am happy pretty much with the R5's controls. But at times it is a little strange why we can't customise the camera more. Like why is the Multifunction assignment global? Why can't I assign one button to a set of multiple functions and other to another set?

4. The option to shoot stopped down. Sony forces you to do this. Canon focuses wide open and only stops down to take the shot. But we know from video regarding that it can shoot stopped down in video mode.

5. Maybe we can squeeze more out of the battery with better power management algorythms. I find power is the only real point that the R5 needs to really work on.

RDM5546

lawny13 wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

My RF 15-35 and RF24-70 are my core lenses. Both for me deliver the goods and I use the RF 15-35 indoors maybe more than the RF24-70 but this must vary a lot with what you shoot.

While the RF85mmf1.2 and the RF50mmf1.2 are both amazing in IQ and a little big/heavy. With 45MP the excellent IS with IBIS do matter even a moderate shooting speeds for real world shooting when hand held. I love the 45MP image files though many times I may only actally need 20MP or less. Extra pixels provide versatiliity and flexibility in framing and cropping for me when surprises happen.

For me, I will make due with my existing EF adapted L lenses and some Sigma Art primes. I have to draw the line somewhere. The RF100-500 does intrigue me and I get that inner feeling that could one day dry to own that lens after refurbs or instant rebates are available maybe next Christmas or the following year. For me, the RF100-500 is more want than need. When you add in the TCs too it becomes for me too much of a major budget killer particularly if you already have the very sharp but heavier EF 100-400 II and TCs. Other new excity opportunities to improve my gear may appear too.

I see people comment on instant rebates on the RF 100-500 as a way to wait to get it. But here at least in Europe canon has a promotion. Buy one of the selected bodies and lens and get a selected amount off the lens.
For the RF 100-500 you can get 300 cash back. I saw this promotion after I had bought the R5, and canon informed me that means it would be valid for me to buy the RF 100-500 and get 300 euros off it. The lens needs to be bought within 12 months of the body.
Maybe there is a similar one in the US? Only real issue I have is finding a RF 100-500 to purchase here. It is currently still in a pre-order status on the online shops I have looked at here.

I should keep some powder dry because we have the R1 possibly coming next year too. The rumored R1 may too big and heavy to suit me for field work but already the rumors of quad pixels focus sound intriguing and awe inspiring. The practical side of me says the R5 should be all I need for at least a couple of years. For most of what I do it is the perfect blend of stills and video clips that works with my EF L lens collection and is backed up with the access to amazing RF glass if you need it and are willing to pay for it.

I have never heard of any cash back on the RF100-500.   That would interesting but the word has not reached California and me at least.  I do not need the lens as much as the size/weight.  I probably would not get the TCs at first as I crop a lot and this lens has restrictions in focal range with the TCs.

I have been thinking about the RF 800 again for the weight advantage.  Weight makes a difference as to how and when the lens actually gets used.  I two excellent but pretty heavy lenses: EF 400f2.8L IS USM (12 lbs) and the Sigma 120-300f2.8 (7lbs).   This is are impossible to use except on a tripod for me in most cases.  I can heft the 7lb lens for short periods but the tripod/monopod is much better for me.

Unless I got some cash/back or instant rebate though I would feel wastefuly and spoiled adding these lenses that I do not need but may just want.  I can do just fine with what I have now. More is not always better.

RDM5546

lawny13 wrote:

ProDude wrote:

What the R5 actually needs is some more features through FW updates if you ask me.
20 fps is more than enough for pretty much everyone. Heck 12 fps with electronic first curtain shutter is more than enough for most. Issue I have is that in e-shutter mode we only have 1 or 20 fps and nothing in between.
I only really need mechanical shutter when I want to maximise DR, or eliminate rolling shutter. I would be shooting in electronic most 70-80 percent of the time since it pretty much eliminates wear and tear. Canon should release a FW update for...

2. More resolution options for RAW, like MRAW, since we don't always need a 45 MP file.

3. More customisability for buttons. Don't get me wrong I am happy pretty much with the R5's controls. But at times it is a little strange why we can't customise the camera more. Like why is the Multifunction assignment global? Why can't I assign one button to a set of multiple functions and other to another set?

4. The option to shoot stopped down. Sony forces you to do this. Canon focuses wide open and only stops down to take the shot. But we know from video regarding that it can shoot stopped down in video mode.

5. Maybe we can squeeze more out of the battery with better power management algorythms. I find power is the only real point that the R5 needs to really work on.

Your five point are all excellent and I fully agree although I would not rank them equally important for me. #4 and #5 are optional but 1-3 would be major improvements for me.

I think I can live the current battery.  I have two and a bunch of the older ones that work with only drawback being they are H+ white and nont H+ green.  I will carry four spares if I need them.  No big deal for me.

I do not need 12 fps all the time.   I have ES that works well and I can use that if needed but the H+ white is 7-8fps with most of my lenses adated from EF mount.   That is fast enough in most cases and reduces workflow and unnecessary exposures.  Do not get me wrong.  I love the 20fps speed of the ES.  It is sensational.  It is just not necessary for everything, and maybe even many things.  45MP images and RAW files have negative throughput and workflow consequences when you do not fully need them.   I do not want 80MP!!!  At least not yet.

RDM5546 wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

I have never heard of any cash back on the RF100-500. That would interesting but the word has not reached California and me at least. I do not need the lens as much as the size/weight. I probably would not get the TCs at first as I crop a lot and this lens has restrictions in focal range with the TCs.

I have been thinking about the RF 800 again for the weight advantage. Weight makes a difference as to how and when the lens actually gets used. I two excellent but pretty heavy lenses: EF 400f2.8L IS USM (12 lbs) and the Sigma 120-300f2.8 (7lbs). This is are impossible to use except on a tripod for me in most cases. I can heft the 7lb lens for short periods but the tripod/monopod is much better for me.

Unless I got some cash/back or instant rebate though I would feel wastefuly and spoiled adding these lenses that I do not need but may just want. I can do just fine with what I have now. More is not always better.

Think you should search and see if you have the promo there.

https://www.canon-europe.com/lens-promo/

Have a look at the link. It isn't a cash back particularly on just the RF100-500. I could get it for the 70-200 or well have a look at the image below:

I am just focused on the RF100-500

RDM5546 wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

ProDude wrote:

Your five point are all excellent and I fully agree although I would not rank them equally important for me. #4 and #5 are optional but 1-3 would be major improvements for me.

I didn't list them in priority. It is of course subjective to the person.

I think I can live the current battery.

When I stated this I guess I meant it is the one thing that may not be fixed or really improved via FW. The hardware is there pretty much for the rest of the comments. More battery capacity may be something to be addressed in a future camera model. Probably with more efficient processor and LCD/EVF.

I have two and a bunch of the older ones that work with only drawback being they are H+ white and nont H+ green. I will carry four spares if I need them. No big deal for me.

I do not need 12 fps all the time. I have ES that works well and I can use that if needed but the H+ white is 7-8fps with most of my lenses adated from EF mount. That is fast enough in most cases and reduces workflow and unnecessary exposures. Do not get me wrong. I love the 20fps speed of the ES. It is sensational. It is just not necessary for everything, and maybe even many things. 45MP images and RAW files have negative throughput and workflow consequences when you do not fully need them. I do not want 80MP!!! At least not yet.

Yep. Agree with all you are saying there. Hence the MRAW, and other fps option silent more would be great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads