option to copy to an external HD directly from body

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
aarif
aarif Veteran Member • Posts: 9,252
option to copy to an external HD directly from body

would love to have an option that I could copy images directly to external HD or even a flash drive.  don't think it's such a hard thing to do.  we already have an option to copy from one slot to another.  will make life easier when traveling without a laptop and you want to back up your files.

aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +2 more
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Re: option to copy to an external HD directly from body

I like it!  Especially with as cheap as decent sized SSD drives are getting!

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +11 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

There are several external hard drives with SD card readers specifically made for photographers..................Let Google be your friend.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
aarif
OP aarif Veteran Member • Posts: 9,252

DenverSteve wrote:

There are several external hard drives with SD card readers specifically made for photographers..................Let Google be your friend.

i know that and i have used then in the past.  but why not have the ability to copy from camera to HD/FD  directly.  you can back up you files with cheaper hard drives that don't need power.

aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +2 more
happysun Regular Member • Posts: 200

aarif wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

i know that and i have used then in the past. but why not have the ability to copy from camera to HD/FD directly. you can back up you files with cheaper hard drives that don't need power.

I have not yet tried it, but wouldn't it be possible to connect the camera and a HD/FD to a smartphone and use some software to copy the images from the camera to the HD/FD? Alternatively, connect a cardr eader as well as the HD/FD to the smartphone and copy between devices. I maybe later will try this weekend.

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,696

aarif wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

i know that and i have used then in the past. but why not have the ability to copy from camera to HD/FD directly. you can back up you files with cheaper hard drives that don't need power.

So, what would power the hard drive/ssd? They do require power, you know. The drives with card readers are battery powered and the WD unit I have works rather well, with large battery capacity and fast reading. I think you are envisioning a solution looking for a problem.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads