Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions
ales44 New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

I can't find this information anywhere so I would ask here. Does Nikon D850 support the 200-500mm lens weight on its own, by that said, if you have the D850 hanging from your neck with the 200-500mm lens attached, will the lens break the connection ring on D850 or can that havey lens break the D850 ring in case if I don't hold th the lens by its collar foot? Thank you. Any good but affordable straps recommended for cariing such lens attached to the D850?

Thank you.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,130
Re: Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

You can throw the mount off if nothing else. I would recommend against it.

I use a neck strap and hold the lens in my hand by the foot. Sometimes I just carry both of it by holding on to the lens foot.  Likely a little risky but it happens from time to time.

Some fellows use a Blackrapids strap on the lens, or on the tripod socket of the body, but there's been a few horror stories on that.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,357

ales44 wrote:

I can't find this information anywhere so I would ask here. Does Nikon D850 support the 200-500mm lens weight on its own, by that said, if you have the D850 hanging from your neck with the 200-500mm lens attached, will the lens break the connection ring on D850 or can that havey lens break the D850 ring in case if I don't hold th the lens by its collar foot?

I've seen one or two people on here say that practice is OK, but personally I would never take the risk, and would always attach a strap to the lens foot in some way.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +20 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,241

Yes, but...

I've carried my 200-500 dangling from the camera a number of times.  It will stand up to that without a problem.

But.

I would certainly never hang it from my neck!   In general, one doesn't hang the lens like that because it turns out to be generally inconvenient.   If you hang it, it gets long enough to swing and bang into things, and it's just too heavy to hang from a neck.  A shoulder works for a bit.

Usually one carries the lens this way:

1. cradled in your arms ready to shoot

2. carried in hand with a straight arm by the tripod collar (too heavy to carry with bent arms)

3. over your shoulder attached to a tripod.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +37 more
Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 761

ales44 wrote:

I can't find this information anywhere so I would ask here. Does Nikon D850 support the 200-500mm lens weight on its own, by that said, if you have the D850 hanging from your neck with the 200-500mm lens attached, will the lens break the connection ring on D850 or can that havey lens break the D850 ring in case if I don't hold th the lens by its collar foot? Thank you. Any good but affordable straps recommended for cariing such lens attached to the D850?

Thank you.

You really want the combined weight of 6lbs hanging off your neck?  Carry it by the foot, place the camera and lens in your bag, or mount the foot to a tripod and rest the entire setup over your shoulder.

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +3 more
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106

I never hang my D850 from my neck with any lens. I will carry it over my shoulder with smaller lenses. But with the 200-500, I’ve removed the tripod foot to reduce weight and only cradle it or carry by hand. It’s never been on a tripod. I carry it a couple hours at a time when shooting in natural areas and gardens for not only birds but flowers and insects.

However, if the weight is a problem, I’d suggest a black rapid strap or attach it to a tripod or monopod. I often carry my 500 f4 on a tripod, but more frequently cradle it or carry it by the large tripod foot. But if hiking distances and only pulling out to shoot occasionally, you might consider a suitable backpack.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +14 more
OP ales44 New Member • Posts: 4

thank you for the opinions and suggestions, will definetly look into getting a strap for it, just needed to know why and if I take photos and the lens accidently sleeps from my wrist (with the DSLR strap around my neck) by any chance, so it's not gonna break the ring on my D850. Thats all I needed to know. Thank you again.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,885

ales44 wrote:

thank you for the opinions and suggestions, will definetly look into getting a strap for it, just needed to know why and if I take photos and the lens accidently sleeps from my wrist (with the DSLR strap around my neck) by any chance, so it's not gonna break the ring on my D850. Thats all I needed to know. Thank you again.

I don't think anyone really said that.  If you are supporting the rig by carrying it with your hands and it slips out and drops, but is saved because you have the strap around your neck...  that kind of potential sudden shock is the kind of thing that can snap a mount.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Bill Janes Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

T O Shooter wrote:

You can throw the mount off if nothing else. I would recommend against it.

I use a neck strap and hold the lens in my hand by the foot. Sometimes I just carry both of it by holding on to the lens foot. Likely a little risky but it happens from time to time.

Some fellows use a Blackrapids strap on the lens, or on the tripod socket of the body, but there's been a few horror stories on that.

It would depend to some extent what 500 mm lens you have. The 500 f/5.6 PF is much lighter than the f/4, and the former might be carried with the lens attached to the camera. I have an L-plate attached to the camera, which might distribute the weight more evenly across the camera base in the above mentioned case. However, with my own 500 PF with attached RSS replacement foot with an Arca mount, I sometimes carry the assembly with a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens foot (replacement RSS) via an Arca clamp. The same goes for mounting to a tripod or monopod-use the foot, not the camera.

There are many stories of the 500 PF lens detaching from the Nikon foot, and a replacement foot is advisable. If I were shopping for a foot again, I would use a one piece unit such as the Hejnar or Wimberly . The RSS replacement is two piece like the Nikon but hopefully more secure.

I have used the RSS clamp , but the Desmond clamp is much cheaper and seems equally well built but less streamlined because of the two loop openings (see photo on link).

-- hide signature --

Bill Janes

You are correct Bill.  But the OP did specifically say the 200-500.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson wrote:

ales44 wrote:

I don't think anyone really said that. If you are supporting the rig by carrying it with your hands and it slips out and drops, but is saved because you have the strap around your neck... that kind of potential sudden shock is the kind of thing that can snap a mount.

Definitely not. A very good chance you'd tear the face off the camera.

-- hide signature --

All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,117

I caused an $800 repair once, by carrying a D500 with the 200-500 lens and attaching the strap to the body rather than the lens.  Cracked the mount WITHOUT dropping my gear.  Learned my lesson there: always attach your strap to the heavy lens rather than the lighter body.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +26 more

lokatz wrote:

I caused an $800 repair once, by carrying a D500 with the 200-500 lens and attaching the strap to the body rather than the lens. Cracked the mount WITHOUT dropping my gear. Learned my lesson there: always attach your strap to the heavy lens rather than the lighter body.

Exactly.  Personal opinion, but I also find that attaching a strap to the lens is simplay a more comfortable way to carry the lens.  I'll usually still put my hand on the lens foot while I'm walking but that's to restrict the swaying.

I used to cringe at the horror stories with BlackRapid straps.  Swore I'd never use one.  Now I do.  An excellent strap option.  I even went so far as to buy the Kirk foot and quick release swivel.  Horror of horrors!!

Slightly off topic - Look at all the dented cars on the road.  I've had a car drive right out a parking lot entrance and into the side of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign.  I've been at a standstill in a parking lot behind other cars and had a car back out of a stall right into me.  I've been driving in the right hand lane at the speed limit on a straight expressway and had a car change lanes right into the left rear of my car.

None of these incidents were remotely my fault and there's nothing I could have done to prevent any of them short of not owning a car.  The point is, $&%# happens.  If my camera falls off my BlackRapid strap it's no big deal.  And this time it probably is my fault for not making sure it was tight.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,176

The Peak Design Slide with one end connected to an anchor link on the tripod foot (rotated with the foot over the top of the lens), the other end attached to an anchor link on a plate at the base of the D850, and the strap slung over one shoulder with the camera along the opposite side like a satchel is the way to go.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more

michaeladawson wrote:

lokatz wrote:

I caused an $800 repair once, by carrying a D500 with the 200-500 lens and attaching the strap to the body rather than the lens. Cracked the mount WITHOUT dropping my gear. Learned my lesson there: always attach your strap to the heavy lens rather than the lighter body.

Exactly. Personal opinion, but I also find that attaching a strap to the lens is simplay a more comfortable way to carry the lens. I'll usually still put my hand on the lens foot while I'm walking but that's to restrict the swaying.

I used to cringe at the horror stories with BlackRapid straps. Swore I'd never use one. Now I do. An excellent strap option. I even went so far as to buy the Kirk foot and quick release swivel. Horror of horrors!!

Slightly off topic - Look at all the dented cars on the road. I've had a car drive right out a parking lot entrance and into the side of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign. I've been at a standstill in a parking lot behind other cars and had a car back out of a stall right into me. I've been driving in the right hand lane at the speed limit on a straight expressway and had a car change lanes right into the left rear of my car.

If you were in Toronto, that would be the problem right there.

None of these incidents were remotely my fault and there's nothing I could have done to prevent any of them short of not owning a car. The point is, $&%# happens. If my camera falls off my BlackRapid strap it's no big deal. And this time it probably is my fault for not making sure it was tight.

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter wrote:

Slightly off topic - Look at all the dented cars on the road. I've had a car drive right out a parking lot entrance and into the side of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign. I've been at a standstill in a parking lot behind other cars and had a car back out of a stall right into me. I've been driving in the right hand lane at the speed limit on a straight expressway and had a car change lanes right into the left rear of my car.

If you were in Toronto, that would be the problem right there.

Perhaps I should have phrases that differently.  I was going at the same speed as the overall traffic flow.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads