Nikon D850 + Nikkor 200-500 f5.6E ED VR camera backpack advice

Started 4 months ago | Questions
ales44 New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon D850 + Nikkor 200-500 f5.6E ED VR camera backpack advice

Hi there,

I’m the landscape photographer and now I’m also switching (starting) to take photography in wildlife so I bought the 200-500 Nikon lens for the start of telephoto journey for my D850 and would like to ask you guys, what rugged backpack you are using for wildlife (longer hikes in pure wilderness) in every conditions? I currently own the LowePro Whistler 450 AW II which I use for landscape and is perfect for the all seasons weather, but when I put in 200-500 lens with the D850 attached it’s quite tight due to the size of body with 500 lens. Sometimes when I don’t need to take with me all the stuff for like 3 day hike when doing landscape I wonder if there is any lighter and more spacious camera backpack that can more easily fit D850 attached with the 200-500 lens + large tripod that I would have it for wildlife only or should I just stay wit the current backpack? What are your suggestions, experiences?

I’m looking at some less big more lighter backpacks for 1 day wildlife hike, like:
- Gitzo Adventury 30L/40L, LowePro Flipside 500 AW II Mica and Pixel camo

Thanks 😊

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 779
Re: Nikon D850 + Nikkor 200-500 f5.6E ED VR camera backpack advice

ales44 wrote:

Hi there,

I’m the landscape photographer and now I’m also switching (starting) to take photography in wildlife so I bought the 200-500 Nikon lens for the start of telephoto journey for my D850 and would like to ask you guys, what rugged backpack you are using for wildlife (longer hikes in pure wilderness) in every conditions? I currently own the LowePro Whistler 450 AW II which I use for landscape and is perfect for the all seasons weather, but when I put in 200-500 lens with the D850 attached it’s quite tight due to the size of body with 500 lens. Sometimes when I don’t need to take with me all the stuff for like 3 day hike when doing landscape I wonder if there is any lighter and more spacious camera backpack that can more easily fit D850 attached with the 200-500 lens + large tripod that I would have it for wildlife only or should I just stay wit the current backpack? What are your suggestions, experiences?

I’m looking at some less big more lighter backpacks for 1 day wildlife hike, like:

Thanks 😊

When I got my D850 and 150-600 I upgraded to this bag:

https://gosselinphoto.ca/en/tenba-32l-axis-backpack-black-tn021258
It holds my 12mm, 20mm, 105mm, mini tripod, lens warmer, battery bank,  D850 with the battery grip and the Tamron lens with hood attached, filter collection, 50L dry sack, camo lens rain cover, USB charger and spare grip and body battery, and that's just in the main compartment.

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
OOPSOS
OOPSOS Contributing Member • Posts: 641

I use Think Tank Taxi, extra room for accessories.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847266-REG/Think_Tank_190_Glass_Taxi_Bblack_Gray.html

If you want to save money buy used Lowepro sling 100 Smallest then cut the inside devider, keep extra stuff in your jacket pockets

https://www.amazon.ca/Lowepro-SlingShot-All-Weather-Digital-Backpack/dp/B000BAX50G

-- hide signature --
 OOPSOS's gear list:OOPSOS's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
exumaparadise Regular Member • Posts: 187

Looks like a pretty good setup

Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,378

One more vote for ThinkTank. Extremely well made bags, top notch material, zippers, etc.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/camera-backpacks

I have been using their GlassLimo for my telephoto setup. The great thing about this backpack that it is slim if you want to carry just the camera with a long lens and a couple of other things. However, it can be dressed up with well thought out accessories for extra gear if you go on longer trips.

Their sister company MidnightShift makes excellent gear too. For long outings I use their Firstlight 40L, it takes a ton of gear and supplies for longer wilderness trips.

https://naturephototrail.com/gear-page/

Best regards, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704

I've got the Tenba axis 24 & 32lt packs, the 32 i can fit pretty much my wildlife and landscape cameras/lenses and the 24 more of a smaller version that I'll use for day trips locally.

Comfortable, seem to me made of good materials (they're fairly new so not too much wear as yet) and easy to strap stuff to.

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Bodkins Best Photography
Bodkins Best Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 779

ruley74 wrote:

I've got the Tenba axis 24 & 32lt packs, the 32 i can fit pretty much my wildlife and landscape cameras/lenses and the 24 more of a smaller version that I'll use for day trips locally.

Comfortable, seem to me made of good materials (they're fairly new so not too much wear as yet) and easy to strap stuff to.

I've been lugging around 30+lbs of gear in mine for over a year and a half now.  No loose seams, broken zippers or even anything more than a scuff on the bottom.  And considering all my photography is done on rocky beaches or out in the woods that's pretty resilient imo.

Bodkins Best Photography's gear list:Bodkins Best Photography's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704

BodkinsBest wrote:

ruley74 wrote:

Comfortable, seem to me made of good materials (they're fairly new so not too much wear as yet) and easy to strap stuff to.

I've been lugging around 30+lbs of gear in mine for over a year and a half now. No loose seams, broken zippers or even anything more than a scuff on the bottom. And considering all my photography is done on rocky beaches or out in the woods that's pretty resilient imo.

That's good to know. With the 200-500 I'm set up a little different, I can have the lens mounted on the camera along the bottom of the bag and pull it out the side door... it's snug but it fits. Then the other lenses and D850 sit above that.

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Labmom60
Labmom60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,112

I’ve been using a Mindshift Backlight 26L and I can squeeze my d750 with the 200-500 attached,   I also have the 18L backpack. These are the most comfortable backpacks I’ve found, straps are very padded.

OP ales44 New Member • Posts: 4

BodkinsBest wrote:

ales44 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks 😊

When I got my D850 and 150-600 I upgraded to this bag:

https://gosselinphoto.ca/en/tenba-32l-axis-backpack-black-tn021258
It holds my 12mm, 20mm, 105mm, mini tripod, lens warmer, battery bank, D850 with the battery grip and the Tamron lens with hood attached, filter collection, 50L dry sack, camo lens rain cover, USB charger and spare grip and body battery, and that's just in the main compartment.

thank you for the tip, will chek this one out Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads