Sony should provide clarity about LA-EA5 ASAP

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mick232 Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Sony should provide clarity about LA-EA5 ASAP

So in Germany Sony is now offering the A7iii + free LA-EA5 + €300 cashback + trade in your old camera.

There is just one problem: the LA-EA5 does not fully support the A7iii.

Now would be the time to provide clarity whether firmware updates will enhance LA-EA5 support. So far there are only vague rumors.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +19 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563
Re: Sony should provide clarity about LA-EA5 ASAP

Maybe send them an email, or call them.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
OP mick232 Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

DenverSteve wrote:

I did. Not sure if that will get me an answer but it is worth a try.

Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +19 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 563

Great. Then you can educate us.

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
Qqphot Regular Member • Posts: 150

This seems silly considering it appears to only really work with A7r4.

DenverSteve wrote:

Great. Then you can educate us.

As expected, the response I got did not provide any new information.

I was told that the A7iii and LA-EA5 work well with SSM/SAM lenses but no word about screw-drive.

That information is useless, because in that case I could have bought the LA-EA3 just as well.

Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

mick232 wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

I did. Not sure if that will get me an answer but it is worth a try.

One poster emailed about EA5 adapter compatibility with A7c and he or she was told it’s coming.

Elisam Junior Member • Posts: 43

mick232 wrote:

So in Germany Sony is now offering the A7iii + free LA-EA5 + €300 cashback + trade in your old camera.

Now would be the time to provide clarity whether firmware updates will enhance LA-EA5 support. So far there are only vague rumors.

Perhaps the LA-EA5 is effectively replacing the 3. So it makes sense that that’s still the one to be given away, even if it doesn’t support certain features on that model. Some lenses specifically support 20fps on the A9, that doesn’t mean that other models are going to get 20fps just because they bundled a lens which supports that feature with it. Hopefully that makes sense?

Elisam wrote:

mick232 wrote:

Perhaps the LA-EA5 is effectively replacing the 3. So it makes sense that that’s still the one to be given away, even if it doesn’t support certain features on that model. Some lenses specifically support 20fps on the A9, that doesn’t mean that other models are going to get 20fps just because they bundled a lens which supports that feature with it. Hopefully that makes sense?

These deals are specifically designed for those wanting to switch from A to E. An adapter is bundled, and your old camera can be traded in. It does not make sense to leave doubt about support for a large group of A mount lenses.

The point is: nobody expects other cameras to get 20fps via firmware upgrade. But getting full support for the LA-EA5 is something that may or may not happen (and is rumored to happen for some models like A7C and A9), so getting that simple yes/no answer would be quite helpful.

Elisam Junior Member • Posts: 43

mick232 wrote:

Elisam wrote:

mick232 wrote:

These deals are specifically designed for those wanting to switch from A to E. An adapter is bundled, and your old camera can be traded in. It does not make sense to leave doubt about support for a large group of A mount lenses.

The point is: nobody expects other cameras to get 20fps via firmware upgrade. But getting full support for the LA-EA5 is something that may or may not happen (and is rumored to happen for some models like A7C and A9), so getting that simple yes/no answer would be quite helpful.

The point is, just because a device has a certain capacity doesn’t mean the other devices that are compatible with it will enable all the features. Just because they are bundled together also doesn’t mean it will be enabled.

They *might* update those cameras but they might not. Purchase based on what is known. I would personally expect full compatibility to come to any of the cameras that don’t at least have the updated Bionz X (6100/6400/7C/A9).

Elisam wrote:

Purchase based on what is known.

I will do exactly that. Which means no purchase at this time. This is not what I actually want and probably also not what Sony wants.

Probably not a big deal for most people, but fwiw gaining LA-EA5 firmware compatibility appears to break compatibility with third-part AF adapters like Techart (for leica M) and Commlite (for Nikon).  Maybe not a deliberate action by Sony, but still disappointing.

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,190

Qqphot wrote:

Probably not a big deal for most people, but fwiw gaining LA-EA5 firmware compatibility appears to break compatibility with third-part AF adapters like Techart (for leica M) and Commlite (for Nikon). Maybe not a deliberate action by Sony, but still disappointing.

You mean A7R4 does not work with the Techart adapter?

Can you provide any pointer to such discussion. That is interesting. It may make me not update my A7C for some while.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

Qqphot wrote:

Probably not a big deal for most people, but fwiw gaining LA-EA5 firmware compatibility appears to break compatibility with third-part AF adapters like Techart (for leica M) and Commlite (for Nikon). Maybe not a deliberate action by Sony, but still disappointing.

You mean A7R4 does not work with the Techart adapter?

Can you provide any pointer to such discussion. That is interesting. It may make me not update my A7C for some while.

Yes, after the September firmware update to v1.20 for a7r4 it no longer works with the TechArt adapter. It sort of tries to, it does move the lens in and out a bit, but it never focuses.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64494200

I was only speculating that it was the la-ea5 compatibility changes that broke it, though, it could have been something else.

I used to always use the Techart plus the voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 VM mount lens because it's a fantastic combination but I can't anymore on the a7r4. It still works amazingly well on my r3 body, though, so I probably will just not apply any more upgrades to that body.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads