Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497
Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Is 95+ CRI accurate/natural enough for ecommerce websites in the luxury markets?

I have Paul C Buff white lightning strobes but Ortery's software has me second guessing my choice. I'm now considering LED constant lighting, what is your experience?

I'm a little bit color blind, indoors in my closet I can't tell the difference between dark navy and black. Outdoors in the sun, the difference is very obvious.  Lighting plays such a big role in perception of color, has LED caught up to compete with natural sun?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Most decent lights are good enough for ecomm. Luxury ecomm is another story - I’ve worked on jobs for David Yurman, Neiman Marcus and Saks and they run the gamut from strobe to HMI.
Nothing equals or bests the sun except in consistency and availability.

Ortery’s lights look like rebadged Godox SL150s.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Checking out their software my bet is you need some sort of DMX Control for whatever lights you intend to use. They might have even figured out a way to ID the lights and lock you in to using theirs :/

I have a lot of ecomm lighting and production experience where we’ve already got solutions to problems this system purportedly solves in its own way (e.g. matching placement with overlays is a C1 staple).

I’m sure it’s fantastic for anyone doing very simple still life work for a company like Amazon. For 360s it looks great. But for the work I’ve done it’s either total overkill or misses the point of making work that’s not too overlit and repetitive.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

OP Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

jlafferty wrote:

Checking out their software my bet is you need some sort of DMX Control for whatever lights you intend to use. They might have even figured out a way to ID the lights and lock you in to using theirs :/

I have a lot of ecomm lighting and production experience where we’ve already got solutions to problems this system purportedly solves in its own way (e.g. matching placement with overlays is a C1 staple).

I’m sure it’s fantastic for anyone doing very simple still life work for a company like Amazon. For 360s it looks great. But for the work I’ve done it’s either total overkill or misses the point of making work that’s not too overlit and repetitive.

Their software controls their lighting. The videos are pretty good, from your PC you can adjust lighting. I think the video said it's wifi based.

While I've taken a bunch of photos, with some nice gear at my job, I'm hiring a pro photographer for this different gig. I'm not sure it's sustainable due to his cost, and his availability.  Also, managing the workflow and marrying edited images with the item for sale is going to be very slow.

Styleshoot's videos make the workflow look way too easy, with automation of mundane tasks. Taking a picture of the SKU tag, is genius. I don't trust their "high CRI" LED light panels with zero specs, their Canon kit lens, and removing the photographer completely from the process.

I'm more or less looking for automation of everything, without compromise in image quality. Maybe I won't find that. I don't need to eliminate the photographer, I'm more or less wanting to make his job more efficient. I may end up being the photographer and I'm ok with this, unless I can find something more reasonable. He prefers I do my own photo editing (in a nice way), willing to teach me light room, I'm a photoshop guy (for a completely different career.

OP Thurnau Regular Member • Posts: 497
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

jlafferty wrote:

Most decent lights are good enough for ecomm. Luxury ecomm is another story - I’ve worked on jobs for David Yurman, Neiman Marcus and Saks and they run the gamut from strobe to HMI.
Nothing equals or bests the sun except in consistency and availability.

Ortery’s lights look like rebadged Godox SL150s.

Luxury ecom, like catalog item images for the website stores? Not magazine ads,  editorial, and home page?

Ortery has a "strobe mode" so I can still use their software with my own strobes, but I a lot of the benefit is to see the lighting as a whole on the monitor, and allow the director to see it in real time. The photographer we've hired is going to tether his camera to a monitor for the same reason.

True story, I bought a pair of shoes that were available from Saks and Neimans, and the two pictures color control and quality were so bad I wasn't sure they were the same shoe.  I wasn't sure what they use.  So Niemans and Saks won't touch LED huh?

jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

I'm more or less looking for automation of everything, without compromise in image quality.

The thing is it’s not about lighting or even to a degree post production. It’s about art direction and a ton of subjective decisions, intentions and skills which these automated systems never address. If you don’t care about or need these things then the automated systems are fine. But, for example, there’s a system now where they license a model’s face and scan it in, and overlay it on a virtual mannequin - then they photograph clothes on a mannequin, and drop the model’s face and clothes on each shot. But for a lot of us, the whole point of casting a model is their expressiveness, gesture, ability to move, and the possibilities those things bring to production. Brands that have an identifiable look and feel associated with their product hire photographers who make a cascade of interesting decisions about the light, their focal length, etc. that can’t be simply entered into a computer.
--
http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

Luxury ecomm, as in the whole gamut. All the stuff you’ve mentioned.

Sorry to hear about the color experience. Often within these bigger companies there’s a lot of subdivisions where the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing.

Its not that they won’t touch LEDs, it’s that - aside from Astra panels - LEDs aren’t in broad use yet in NYC. Production people go with what they know and what’s widely available and supported in house or at rental studios. This can often mean they’re not dealing with latest greatest gear, but gear that’s simple and reliable.

Thurnau wrote:

jlafferty wrote:

Most decent lights are good enough for ecomm. Luxury ecomm is another story - I’ve worked on jobs for David Yurman, Neiman Marcus and Saks and they run the gamut from strobe to HMI.
Nothing equals or bests the sun except in consistency and availability.

Ortery’s lights look like rebadged Godox SL150s.

Luxury ecom, like catalog item images for the website stores? Not magazine ads, editorial, and home page?

Ortery has a "strobe mode" so I can still use their software with my own strobes, but I a lot of the benefit is to see the lighting as a whole on the monitor, and allow the director to see it in real time. The photographer we've hired is going to tether his camera to a monitor for the same reason.

True story, I bought a pair of shoes that were available from Saks and Neimans, and the two pictures color control and quality were so bad I wasn't sure they were the same shoe. I wasn't sure what they use. So Niemans and Saks won't touch LED huh?

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

RapidTransit New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Is Ortery's LiveStudio LED or any constant light good enough?

At the end of the day you still have to check your colors with a card, high CRI doesn't always tell the whole story with the light. I'm an amateur doing this for my business, I was so hung up on the perfect shot about half my photos had the product labels off center what's the old saying "you cannot see the forest for the trees"

I'm using Dracast lights and they have dropped in price since I bought them, they work.

 RapidTransit's gear list:RapidTransit's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads