Godox light not firing from GX7

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
technotic Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Godox light not firing from GX7

I have a Godox AD200 and an XPro(O) trigger and trying to use it with a GX7. The flash is not firing when I take a photo. If I use the test button on the trigger the flash fires. I think the trigger is seated correctly as it seems to be in as far as it can go but it does stick out a bit from the back. Is there a setting I need in the camera? The same flash works fine from Fuji and Sony cameras with their triggers. The GX7 seems to recognise there is a flash connected as the red flash signal shows when a photo is taken. I using the mechanical shutter. Any idea what the issue is?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,410
Re: Godox light not firing from GX7

Use a pc-contact if all else fails?
--
Emil Pozar, http://www.alpfabet.com

epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
E-shutter?

When the flash was mounted and power on, would the flash icon on LCD/EVF showed it was enabled?

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
OP technotic Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: E-shutter?

alcelc wrote:

When the flash was mounted and power on, would the flash icon on LCD/EVF showed it was enabled?

The GX7 seems to recognise there is a flash connected as the red flash signal shows when a photo is taken. Is there anything else to show the flash trigger is recognised? I am using the mechanical shutter. I've tried manual and priority modes on the camera.

I did get the flash to fire a couple of times when taking a photo. Not sure it was anything I did. The flash fired as I pressed the shutter release but before the photo was actually taken though like it was not synchronised at all and hence the photo was dark and received no light from the flash.

Is this a fundamental incompatibility with this model? Or a faulty trigger/camera?

kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,760

I have an XPro-O. It works fine my GX7.

Check that the XPro-O is seated fully forward in the GX7's flash hotshoe so that all the pins on the foot are hitting all the contacts on the hotshoe. Make sure the flash hotshoe is clean and unobstructed.

Check that the AD200 and XPro-O are set to the same channel and that if the C.Fn ID is being used, that it also matches between the two units.

If the AD200 and XPro-O are within 1m of each other, set the C.Fn DIST to 0-30m, if it's set on the default of 1-100m.

Also make sure that on the GX7 you have not turned on any wireless flash modes. The Godox 2.4 GHz radio system is NOT the Olympus/Panasonic "smart" optical RC system, which is what those wireless flash settings are for.

See also:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/106379/my-godox-flash-wont-fire-off-camera-what-should-i-check

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more

kli wrote:

I have an XPro-O. It works fine my GX7.

Check that the XPro-O is seated fully forward in the GX7's flash hotshoe so that all the pins on the foot are hitting all the contacts on the hotshoe. Make sure the flash hotshoe is clean and unobstructed.

Check that the AD200 and XPro-O are set to the same channel and that if the C.Fn ID is being used, that it also matches between the two units.

If the AD200 and XPro-O are within 1m of each other, set the C.Fn DIST to 0-30m, if it's set on the default of 1-100m.

Also make sure that on the GX7 you have not turned on any wireless flash modes. The Godox 2.4 GHz radio system is NOT the Olympus/Panasonic "smart" optical RC system, which is what those wireless flash settings are for.

See also:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/106379/my-godox-flash-wont-fire-off-camera-what-should-i-check

Does your trigger stick out a little at the back when in the hot shoe? I think I'm pushing it in as far as it goes but it does protrude a few mm. I think the camera has an issue and is not communicating with the trigger properly. I have wireless set to off in the camera and I set the distance to 0-30m but it made no difference. Hitting the test button on the trigger fires the flash every time so it seems the issue is the camera communicating with the trigger. The only way I can get the flash to fire when using the camera is to put the trigger into HSS mode but then it does not fire in synch with the shutter correctly. I'm not sure what that signifies.

I have a Canon flash and tried that on the GX7 and that does nothing either (manual mode) but I don't know if they are compatible. The same flash does fire when on a Sony camera.

Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,775

Have you set the ad200 flash to have a delay? If so, the flash can fire at wrong time. Solution: reset to defaults.

The camera should have mechanical shutter on,  and shutter speed slower or equal to sync speed (1/250s or longer, I suppose) - or you should use HSS-mode. I think GX7 can do HSS.

If that don't solve the problem, clean the contacts from hot shoe and trigger, and make sure the trigger is pushed as far in as it goes. And check the batteries too!

I hope this helps!

Jouko

Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,402

I had problems with my g9 and tt350 .  Changed batteries to endeloops and it works great.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
kli

technotic wrote:

Does your trigger stick out a little at the back when in the hot shoe?

Yes.

I think I'm pushing it in as far as it goes but it does protrude a few mm.

Same here. About 2-3mm or 1/8".

I think the camera has an issue and is not communicating with the trigger properly.

Yes, it sounds like there's a foot/hotshoe or camera menu setting issue. It's not an issue with the radio triggering setup if the test button works.

I have wireless set to off in the camera

Have you checked that Flash Mode on the GX7 is set to the lightning bolt icon (flash=ON) and not disabled (lightning bolt/slash circle)? Are you in burst mode?

... The only way I can get the flash to fire when using the camera is to put the trigger into HSS mode but then it does not fire in synch with the shutter correctly. I'm not sure what that signifies.

Sounds to me like there's a non-sync pin miscommunication, but you said misalignment isn't an issue, so maybe there's a broken/dirty/obstructed pin on the transmitter or a broken/dirty/obstructed contact on the hotshoe?

I have a Canon flash and tried that on the GX7 and that does nothing either (manual mode) but I don't know if they are compatible.

Actually, it should fire in manual mode. I used to use my 580EX II in Ext.M. mode on my GX7's hotshoe until the Godox -O gear came along. Yeah, could be your GX7's hotshoe is broken if both the flash and the transmitter aren't working.

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more

kli wrote:

technotic wrote:

Yes.

I think the camera has an issue and is not communicating with the trigger properly.

Yes, it sounds like there's a foot/hotshoe or camera menu setting issue. It's not an issue with the radio triggering setup if the test button works.

Have you checked that Flash Mode on the GX7 is set to the lightning bolt icon (flash=ON) and not disabled (lightning bolt/slash circle)? Are you in burst mode?

... The only way I can get the flash to fire when using the camera is to put the trigger into HSS mode but then it does not fire in synch with the shutter correctly. I'm not sure what that signifies.

Sounds to me like there's a non-sync pin miscommunication, but you said misalignment isn't an issue, so maybe there's a broken/dirty/obstructed pin on the transmitter or a broken/dirty/obstructed contact on the hotshoe?

I have a Canon flash and tried that on the GX7 and that does nothing either (manual mode) but I don't know if they are compatible.

Actually, it should fire in manual mode. I used to use my 580EX II in Ext.M. mode on my GX7's hotshoe until the Godox -O gear came along. Yeah, could be your GX7's hotshoe is broken if both the flash and the transmitter aren't working.

Thanks for your replies. I think it must be a defective camera which is a shame. I'm not sure if worth the cost of getting it fixed.

Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 9,839

technotic wrote:

kli wrote:

technotic wrote:

Yes.

Have you checked that Flash Mode on the GX7 is set to the lightning bolt icon (flash=ON) and not disabled (lightning bolt/slash circle)? Are you in burst mode?

Thanks for your replies. I think it must be a defective camera which is a shame. I'm not sure if worth the cost of getting it fixed.

I'll start by admitting I don't know this device, however - if it's this one....

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Remote_Control_XproO_TTL_Wireless_Flash_Trigger.html

... then there doesn't seem to be any mention of the GX7 in the rather sparse list of compatible Panasonic cameras?

Might be worth contacting the manufacturer?

But it seems you're not the first here to have some issues with the device..

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4342980

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +18 more
kli

technotic wrote:

Ok, one last hail-mary.  Is the firmware in all your Godox gear up-to-date?

On both the XPro and the AD200, the MENU button takes you to the custom functions, and the currently loaded version of the firmware should be displayed.

The AD200's current firmware is v2.2; v2.0 is the minimum for MFT TTL/HSS compatibility.

The AD200 Pro's current/initial firmware version is v1.1.

The XPro-O's current firmware version is v1.3.

kli wrote:

technotic wrote:

Ok, one last hail-mary. Is the firmware in all your Godox gear up-to-date?

On both the XPro and the AD200, the MENU button takes you to the custom functions, and the currently loaded version of the firmware should be displayed.

The AD200's current firmware is v2.2; v2.0 is the minimum for MFT TTL/HSS compatibility.

Thanks for the suggestion. My versions are 2.0 for the flash and 1.0 for the trigger. Is it worth upgrading as it seems a bit of an involved process to do it as I don't have a Windows PC. I'm resigned to the fact the camera is faulty as it does not seem to work with any flash or trigger I try it with and deciding whether to try to get it fixed or just get another camera.

kli

technotic wrote:

kli wrote:

Ok, one last hail-mary. Is the firmware in all your Godox gear up-to-date?

Thanks for the suggestion. My versions are 2.0 for the flash and 1.0 for the trigger. Is it worth upgrading as it seems a bit of an involved process to do it as I don't have a Windows PC.

I do all my firmware upgrades on a Macbook Pro, but I have a Bootcamp partition with Windows 10 on it.

Honestly, I think the AD200 being at v2.0 is the key upgrade, and if you already have that, then it's more likely the camera's at fault.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads