Does Apple's new M1 chip make it more likely for you to shoot 6K or 8K?

Started 5 months ago | Polls
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320
Re: Does Apple's new M1 chip make it more likely for you to shoot 6K or 8K?

sportyaccordy wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

8k will be the standard soon. TV manufacturer are pushing hard on 8k and OLED. There not much profit for 4k LED. $500 for 4k 70 inch TV. Lol.

It may be the standard, but it doesn't mean that most people will go out and get an 8k TV.

8k will be the reserve of tech geeks. Even 4k is not that popular. I would describe myself as quite techie and even I haven't got a 4k TV - my FHD TV from over 10 years ago works just fine.

Locally we're being forced to update TVs. Anything ten years old is too old. The broadcasters are switching to HEVC and supposedly that only became standard in 2016.

4K TVs start at around €200 and by €300 almost everything is 4K . The quality of those TVs isn't equal to the more expensive but it's still 4K.

Can't you buy an antenna?

Similar thing happened in the UK when everything moved to digital. Wasn't necessary to upgrade your TV though, just buy a cheap set top box.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX1000 +10 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,802

sportyaccordy wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

8k will be the standard soon. TV manufacturer are pushing hard on 8k and OLED. There not much profit for 4k LED. $500 for 4k 70 inch TV. Lol.

It may be the standard, but it doesn't mean that most people will go out and get an 8k TV.

8k will be the reserve of tech geeks. Even 4k is not that popular. I would describe myself as quite techie and even I haven't got a 4k TV - my FHD TV from over 10 years ago works just fine.

Locally we're being forced to update TVs. Anything ten years old is too old. The broadcasters are switching to HEVC and supposedly that only became standard in 2016.

4K TVs start at around €200 and by €300 almost everything is 4K . The quality of those TVs isn't equal to the more expensive but it's still 4K.

Can't you buy an antenna?

This is OTA . So with an antenna. The options are

New TV. Which will likely use less electricity then the old plus be smart.

An external decoder .

Or a sat dish but even there you need a newer decoder.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
nopix
nopix Senior Member • Posts: 1,890
Makes no difference to me----I don't shoot video. nt

nopix's gear list:nopix's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Sony a6600 +16 more
Kgluong Regular Member • Posts: 327

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

TV manufacturing leads the rest follows. 4k and led tv is starting to phase out. 8k and oled will become affordable in the coming years just like 4k. Technology is relentless.

KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 493

Kgluong wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

TV manufacturing leads the rest follows. 4k and led tv is starting to phase out. 8k and oled will become affordable in the coming years just like 4k. Technology is relentless.

Yesterday i just saw a 720p screen on sale at Walmart. Technology may be relentless but it's also very slow and people are not made of money.

-- hide signature --

"Somewhere on a toilet wall
I read the words, 'You form a line,
to formalize, the former lies'
and I finally saw the truth"...

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +2 more

KAAMBIC wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Yesterday i just saw a 720p screen on sale at Walmart. Technology may be relentless but it's also very slow and people are not made of money.

I bought a 720p set for my mother in law, and it had an integrated dvd player!

Currently even HD through satellite in the UK is only normal HD.

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,312

KAAMBIC wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Even the people who are made of money are mostly happy with their 1080p and 720p TVs and don't see a need to chase the latest and greatest. When I can count the TV announcer eyelashes on my 1080p TV, that's good enough.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more

sportyaccordy wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Well like I said, when it becomes affordable then we can talk. But really, the only reason consumers switched to 4K is because 1080p got pulled from the shelves. Between the complete lack of 8K content and the lack of meaningful difference between 4K/6K/8K at normal TV viewing distances there's no point. The only reason most people buy TVs now is to replace old broken ones.

Technology is relentless. Your arguments against 8k and such have been repeated countless of times over history.

8k is coming just like 4k replaced 1080p. And 8k will be replace with something better in the future and so on.

mamallama wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Even the people who are made of money are mostly happy with their 1080p and 720p TVs and don't see a need to chase the latest and greatest. When I can count the TV announcer eyelashes on my 1080p TV, that's good enough.

I am sure there are people/small business buying small 720p tv. These cheap $100 or less disposalable tv design to show of their products in shows and in their shops.

However household consumers will buy tv that are currently the standard.

Kgluong wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Well like I said, when it becomes affordable then we can talk. But really, the only reason consumers switched to 4K is because 1080p got pulled from the shelves. Between the complete lack of 8K content and the lack of meaningful difference between 4K/6K/8K at normal TV viewing distances there's no point. The only reason most people buy TVs now is to replace old broken ones.

Technology is relentless. Your arguments against 8k and such have been repeated countless of times over history.

8k is coming just like 4k replaced 1080p. And 8k will be replace with something better in the future and so on.

Nobody is denying that 8k is coming.

But is it really true that 4k replaced 1080p? I mean, there are still an awful lot of people that still have 720p or 1080p TVs and amongst those who do have 4k TVs, a hell of a lot of content that is being consumed is sub 4k.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,301

Kgluong wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

The vast majority of people bought 4K because 1080P TVs in the sizes they wanted were discontinued. Given how non-existent 8K content is, and how far into the realm of diminishing returns its added resolution is in a practical context, that's pretty much the only way people will move to 8K. And even that will have to come with huge price drops from where it's currently priced.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,312

Kgluong wrote:

mamallama wrote:

KAAMBIC wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

I am sure there are people/small business buying small 720p tv. These cheap $100 or less disposalable tv design to show of their products in shows and in their shops.

However household consumers will buy tv that are currently the standard.

Agree. My point is that people are not replacing their 1080p sets for the improvement.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,002
Doubtful, For Now

Unless something unforeseen happens, to change my mind, my answer is “no.” My iPhones 7 Plus and 11 Pro Max meet my present and foreseeable video needs. I just acquired a 16”MacBook Pro, and will be in no hurry to upgrade anytime soon.

I do shoot DSLRs, with MP up to 50+, but do not enjoy post-processing, so, the latest and greatest computer is not a priority.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,694

Kgluong wrote:

Yes, relentless as far as dropping the price of older but still great tech. I have no interest in 8k but it's fantastic that it's resulted in the rapid decline in the price of 4k TVs. What I find very amusing is the way some people change their opinions. A couple years ago 4k was fantastic and the future of video. Now it's old, obsolete and not good enough. That type of thinking is something I don't understand. If it was great a few years ago it's still great today. That doesn't change just because something better comes along.

When I replaced my ageing 11 year old 50" HD TV last winter with a 58" 4k model I didn't suddenly find movies and TV shows more entertaining.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
StarPortraits
StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 461

Its all a marketing scheme to increase sales. Heck I still use DVD's with a 32inch screen in my bedroom and still looks great. My laptop has QHD which is somewhere between a 1080p and 4k and it is very sharp and clear. I don't even process 4k video unless your future proofing.

StarPortraits's gear list:StarPortraits's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads