Does Apple's new M1 chip make it more likely for you to shoot 6K or 8K?

Started 4 months ago | Polls
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,942
Does Apple's new M1 chip make it more likely for you to shoot 6K or 8K?

I am not a diehard Apple fan (Android all the way!) but the new M1 chip seems amazing. People can edit 8K on a $900 (with edu pricing) Macbook Air. That's pretty crazy! I know there are many factors that prevent people from shooting above 4K but I know processing power, and the cost associated with that is one of those factors, as many would price computers that can process 8K to be thousands of dollars. One of the cool hype points for the Canon R5 was 8K for under $4000 but big questions that I often heard were along the lines of "Who shoots 8K anyway?" and "The cost of dealing with 8K is too high."

This is just to satisfy my curiosity, but I was wondering if the M1 chip would make a difference in this area (and maybe also to get an idea of how many people shoot 6K or 8K anyway). Explanations are definitely welcome as well.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
POLL
Definitely! The M1 chip will open up 6K and 8K for me
5.9% 2  votes
No. I still wouldn't shoot 6K or 8K
94.1% 32  votes
I am already shooting 6K and/or 8K (or was already planning on it)
0.0% 0  votes
  Show results
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 438
Re: Does Apple's new M1 chip make it more likely for you to shoot 6K or 8K?

Not me. At distances and screen sizes i use it's hard to see a difference in a 4k screen let alone 8k, meaning i doubt i will ever get an 8k screen. Ever. It's true that oversampling native video provides a better final product but 4k --> 1080p already does that to a great degree, im not sure how much better 8k --> 1080p would do.

My LG phone can record 8k and i never use it, if my ILC could i still wouldn't use it. Too much work for very little difference over 4k. If i was a pro and needed every tool in the box i would, even if just for panning purposes and such, but for a hobby by an enthusiast it's of very limited use.

The only thing i can think of that would be of use is for cropping for "reach", but then in the end im still not using 8k, im simply taking advantage of higher rez video to crop.

-- hide signature --

"Somewhere on a toilet wall
I read the words, 'You form a line,
to formalize, the former lies'
and I finally saw the truth"...

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +2 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,284

Not me. I shoot mostly in 4k but I output to QHD. For me QHD the sweet spot, on the screens I have I find it hard to distinguish between QHD and 4k, so 6k or 8k would be wasted on me right now.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX1000 +10 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 17,823
No, it is still video (n/t)
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,269
No

I think you would need movie theatre sized screens to realize the advantage of 8K. Add to that the huge memory requirements. There would have to be a lot of compression to make 8K practical which will negate much of the IQ advantage.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,748

Anyone drink the  KoolAid around here?

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D3300 Nikon D70
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

6k is mostly for post cropping. Even 8K isn't really a delivery format for anybody.

I wouldn't get too hung up on M1. Intel's Tigerlake will allegedly support 4:4:4 HEVC 12bit. That means next summer every low end laptop will be better than many older big $$$ systems. At least in that narrow niche that will benefit .

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,655

I'm holding out for 20K.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,114

The most important part of the chain- affordable 6K-8K screens to actually view the content with- is still missing and a long ways away.

IMO, if the only reason you have to shoot 6K/8K is to buy more gear, you don't need to shoot 6K/8K.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
Kgluong Regular Member • Posts: 324

8k will be the standard soon. TV manufacturer are pushing hard on 8k and OLED. There not much profit for 4k LED. $500 for 4k 70 inch TV. Lol.

Kgluong Regular Member • Posts: 324

lost alaskan wrote:

I'm holding out for 20K.

Maybe in 10 to 15 years?

chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,225

This is Moore’s law, every few years the doubling results in processing power that people couldn’t imagine making things possible that weren’t a few years ago.

4K or 8K capability is more display, bandwidth constrained than any chip limitation.

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D4 +16 more

Kgluong wrote:

8k will be the standard soon. TV manufacturer are pushing hard on 8k and OLED. There not much profit for 4k LED. $500 for 4k 70 inch TV. Lol.

It may be the standard, but it doesn't mean that most people will go out and get an 8k TV.

8k will be the reserve of tech geeks. Even 4k is not that popular. I would describe myself as quite techie and even I haven't got a 4k TV - my FHD TV from over 10 years ago works just fine.

Kgluong wrote:

Well like I said, when it becomes affordable then we can talk. But really, the only reason consumers switched to 4K is because 1080p got pulled from the shelves. Between the complete lack of 8K content and the lack of meaningful difference between 4K/6K/8K at normal TV viewing distances there's no point. The only reason most people buy TVs now is to replace old broken ones.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
tbcass

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

It may be the standard, but it doesn't mean that most people will go out and get an 8k TV.

8k will be the reserve of tech geeks. Even 4k is not that popular. I would describe myself as quite techie and even I haven't got a 4k TV - my FHD TV from over 10 years ago works just fine.

All TVs are a minimum 4K these days other than the little ones. When my old 50" HD TV started acting up last winter I bought a new 4k 58" model for $470. For TV shows I watch only HD on it but it looks great with still digital photos.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more

tbcass wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

All TVs are a minimum 4K these days other than the little ones. When my old 50" HD TV started acting up last winter I bought a new 4k 58" model for $470. For TV shows I watch only HD on it but it looks great with still digital photos.

There are many TVs for sale that are sub 4k and are 32 inch. I still think 32 inch is the most common size.

Only yesterday we bought a 32 inch 720p set for my mother in law.

tbcass

markyboy81 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

There are many TVs for sale that are sub 4k and are 32 inch. I still think 32 inch is the most common size.

Only yesterday we bought a 32 inch 720p set for my mother in law.

I consider 40 inch and smaller little. Here in the US the most common sizes are quite a bit larger than 32". 44" seems to be the cut off with almost all TVs larger than 44" being 4K.

-- hide signature --

Tom

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,549

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Locally we're being forced to update TVs. Anything ten years old is too old.  The broadcasters are switching to HEVC and supposedly that only became standard in 2016.

4K TVs start at around €200 and by €300 almost everything is 4K . The quality of those TVs isn't equal to the more expensive but it's still 4K.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
tbcass

Kgluong wrote:

lost alaskan wrote:

I'm holding out for 20K.

Maybe in 10 to 15 years?

By then it will be 1000K and still cameras will be a million megapixels. Storage and processing won't be a problem with our yottabyte drives and quadrillion core, Zetahertz processors. These will be imbedded in our brains.

-- hide signature --

Tom

NickZ2016 wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Kgluong wrote:

Locally we're being forced to update TVs. Anything ten years old is too old. The broadcasters are switching to HEVC and supposedly that only became standard in 2016.

4K TVs start at around €200 and by €300 almost everything is 4K . The quality of those TVs isn't equal to the more expensive but it's still 4K.

Can't you buy an antenna?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads