Nikon + Samsung?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
J C Strange
J C Strange New Member • Posts: 12
Nikon + Samsung?

So I had this crazy idea and I thought I would share it.

First, some background. As many of you probably know Nikon is struggling for various reasons. News recently broke that Samsung is set to overtake Sony in sensor production. Also, many photographers are currently frustrated that high-tech phones can often take better images than their cameras due to their smart use of "AI" and computer processing, things camera manufactures have yet to implement in any real way. Roll all that together and you have the basis for my idea.

What if Samsung bought Nikon?

Nikon could continue to operate mostly as usual making the cameras we know and love but now backed by a large company with plenty of money for R&D. Working with their new parent company, they could eventually switch from Sony sensors to Samsung and begin to try and incorporate some of the tech that makes the cameras on Samsung's phones so good.

Now, obviously, Samsung has already passed on the camera market, but perhaps they would be more successful with an already established company. Nikon would bring the name, factories, awesome lenses, and know-how, as well as making sure the cameras look, feel, and operate as we have come to expect from them. Samsung would bring the money, the sensor and chip technology, and the ability to bring the market into the future.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Soli Deo Gloria

J C Strange's gear list:J C Strange's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro +1 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,617
Re: Nikon + Samsung?

J C Strange wrote:

So I had this crazy idea and I thought I would share it.

First, some background. As many of you probably know Nikon is struggling for various reasons. News recently broke that Samsung is set to overtake Sony in sensor production.

Not so fast - they're not set to do anything. They're ramping up and hoping to overtake Sony, but that remains to be seen and will take quite some time and may never materialize. Sony has a huge and disproportionate share.

But second, the first rule of internet photo websites is to take PetaPixel articles for less than a grain of salt. They are famous for jumping to conclusions that aren't there. This is mostly about smartphones BTW.

Also, many photographers are currently frustrated that high-tech phones can often take better images than their cameras due to their smart use of "AI" and computer processing, things camera manufactures have yet to implement in any real way. Roll all that together and you have the basis for my idea.

What if Samsung bought Nikon?

To heck with that. I want them to go back to making the cameras they were making when they were set to be the best APS-C camera out there.

Nikon could continue to operate mostly as usual making the cameras we know and love but now backed by a large company with plenty of money for R&D. Working with their new parent company, they could eventually switch from Sony sensors to Samsung and begin to try and incorporate some of the tech that makes the cameras on Samsung's phones so good.

The tech that makes cameras on Samsung phones isn't quite applicable for larger formats.

Now, obviously, Samsung has already passed on the camera market, but perhaps they would be more successful with an already established company. Nikon would bring the name, factories, awesome lenses, and know-how, as well as making sure the cameras look, feel, and operate as we have come to expect from them. Samsung would bring the money, the sensor and chip technology, and the ability to bring the market into the future.

What do you think?

I think I want Nikon to succeed. How that happens is another question. Is there nationalist sentiment that would get in the way? I think perhaps.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,878

J C Strange wrote:

Now, obviously, Samsung has already passed on the camera market, but perhaps they would be more successful with an already established company.

No. The interchangeable-lens-camera market has been shrinking every year, and nobody knows where the bottom is. I don't see why Samsung would have renewed interest in that.

Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

Never going to happen.  Nikon is backed by Mitsubishi Group.  And Japanese-South Korean relations is not good at the moment as well as the fact that Samsung probably isn't even interested.  They are doing just fine without being in the camera industry.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,284

stevo23 wrote:

To heck with that. I want them to go back to making the cameras they were making when they were set to be the best APS-C camera out there.

Hear hear. I'd even forgive them and probably buy the NX2 or NX600 or whatever 😂

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,955

I doubt very much that it will happen.

Samsung owned Rollei for a while, nothing much happened there .

Then it partnered with Pentax , they produced several DSLRs in common but that did not go very far either.

markyboy81 wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Hear hear. I'd even forgive them and probably buy the NX2 or NX600 or whatever 😂

Indeed.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 2,372
Even crazier idea

What if Nikon gets a small loan and buys up Pentax and Olympus, to integrate all the best tech into their own cameras?

Think of the possibilities:

Best IBIS ✓
Best JPEGs ✓
Best style ✓
Best weather sealing ✓
Best features ✓
And much, much more.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
FastStone Photo Resizer Paint.net
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,955
Re: Even crazier idea

onlyfreeman wrote:

What if Nikon gets a small loan and buys up Pentax and Olympus, to integrate all the best tech into their own cameras?

Best IBIS ✓
Best JPEGs ✓
Best style ✓
Best weather sealing ✓
Best features ✓
And much, much more.

Nikon would need to just buy the patents for the above not the companies.

But given that BEST is very subjective , so maybe not.

"Much more" is an advertising term that means "we can't think of anything else "

onlyfreeman wrote:

Best IBIS ✓
Best JPEGs ✓
Best style ✓
Best weather sealing ✓
Best features ✓
And much, much more.

Heck, why not buy Canon and Sony while they're at it?

onlyfreeman

They spent the money required to buy Canon and Sony, on developing a manual focus lens that nobody can afford.

It's okay, the cripple hammer was overhyped anyway.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,103

I've had the same thought.... however there is a pretty big gaping hole in this thesis. It assumes that Nikon's problem is the sensors it can get. I don't think that is the case at all. Nikon designs and gets phenomenal and competitive sensors.

Nikon faces some universal and unique challenges that are more strategic than technical. The industry is shrinking, so the only way to grow is through market share.... but with everyone's FF MILC systems being pretty mature there's not going to be much brand hopping going forward. Nikon specifically has shot itself in the foot with indiscriminant cost cutting... the market is moving more high end but they have gutted their service program for example while I think other companies have stepped theirs up. They haven't planted a flag in video which is a huge and profitable growth opportunity.

Enthusiasts have this tendency to whittle business success down to spec sheet stuff which just isn't how it works. Yes cameras have to be technically competitive, but Samsung basically put out the perfect APS-C kit and didn't get the response they hoped for. Nikon's cameras are great but obviously they have to do more to stay competitive.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more

onlyfreeman wrote:

They spent the money required to buy Canon and Sony, on developing a manual focus lens that nobody can afford.

It's okay, the cripple hammer was overhyped anyway.

Ha ha.

No no - the lens also doubles as a new up and coming zoom with a couple of modifications. So all good!

Halo product if ever there was one.

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,067

onlyfreeman wrote:

Best IBIS ✓
Best JPEGs ✓
Best style ✓
Best weather sealing ✓
Best features ✓
And much, much more.

Do you think their problem is not having the best of everything?

Do you think the public is basing their buying decisions on having the best of everything?

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 67,449

FrancoD wrote:

onlyfreeman wrote:

Best IBIS ✓
Best JPEGs ✓
Best style ✓
Best weather sealing ✓
Best features ✓
And much, much more.

Nikon would need to just buy the patents for the above not the companies.

Not really. For a start, I don't think that any of those things is patented, certainly nothing in that list is even patentable, apart maybe the IBIS, but I don't think Olympus has patents protecting anything significant in their IBIS implementation anyway - as is evidenced by all the other manufacturers making similar versions. The alleged superiority of Olympus' IBIS comes down to two things, aggressive advertising and ruthlessly developing to tweak to the CIPA measurements. The other companies could do that too (and Canon's now topped Olympus).

That's not to say that I think his idea is sensible. I don't think Nikon has a load to learn from Pentax and Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
for one to have the hots for
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

Franka T.L.
Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,161
wishful thinking and rosy tinted

would you made that decision if you are on the Samsung board, just try to justify it to the other members and the shareholders , and not to discount how difficult Japanese ( the government, not Nikon ) bureaucracy play into international trade.

Wha could be is not really on the agenda, what business it can bring and what burden it incur is what matters in a deal like this suggested one

-- hide signature --

..... ^.^ .....

onlyfreeman

mamallama wrote:

Do you think their problem is not having the best of everything?

Do you think the public is basing their buying decisions on having the best of everything?

Interesting questions, I assume Nikon's problem is that they don't make the most profit or have the greatest market share.

I think in an ideal world the product that had the best of everything, should be the one that people buy.

Since we don't live in that world, I believe it's more complex than that, for example people might not buy a product manufactured in certain countries no matter how good it is.

So I believe it would help Nikon if their products had the best of anything, but there are also other things they could do to help solve their problems.

Some might believe that a "groundbreaking" new tech might be the the solution, like advanced image processing, or global shutter. Which sounds like a good idea at least, but nobody knows if it would work in practice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads