Canon 1.4x II extender

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
james djg Regular Member • Posts: 210
Canon 1.4x II extender

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

Edit:  Posted in wrong section for camera.  Still if you know compatibility of lens and extender, that would be great, too.

Canon EOS 5DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Pane
John Pane Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

It is optically compatible but it may not autofocus. Canon says:

Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS DSLR when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

It can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the following zoom lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS.

 John Pane's gear list:John Pane's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +3 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,587
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

John Pane wrote:

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

It is optically compatible but it may not autofocus. Canon says:

Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS DSLR when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

It can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the following zoom lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Is that camera-related? My 80D's manual places the 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4x extender combination in group H (center AF point only) for all three versions of the extender.

It also states "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/5.6, focus may not be achieved with AF when shooting low-contrast or low-light subjects".  Further, "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/8, AF is not possible during viewfinder shooting".

 Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
John Pane
John Pane Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

Dave wrote:

John Pane wrote:

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

It is optically compatible but it may not autofocus. Canon says:

Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS DSLR when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

It can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the following zoom lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Is that camera-related? My 80D's manual places the 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4x extender combination in group H (center AF point only) for all three versions of the extender.

It also states "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/5.6, focus may not be achieved with AF when shooting low-contrast or low-light subjects". Further, "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/8, AF is not possible during viewfinder shooting".

Yes. Actually it looks like some cameras (including 5DS) can autofocus at f/8, which means a f/5.6 lens + 1.4x extender should support AF.

 John Pane's gear list:John Pane's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +3 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,587
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

John Pane wrote:

Dave wrote:

John Pane wrote:

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

It is optically compatible but it may not autofocus. Canon says:

Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS DSLR when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

It can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the following zoom lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Is that camera-related? My 80D's manual places the 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4x extender combination in group H (center AF point only) for all three versions of the extender.

It also states "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/5.6, focus may not be achieved with AF when shooting low-contrast or low-light subjects". Further, "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/8, AF is not possible during viewfinder shooting".

Yes. Actually it looks like some cameras (including 5DS) can autofocus at f/8, which means a f/5.6 lens + 1.4x extender should support AF.

I wish I remembered where I read it, but I believe version III only offers improved performance over version II when used with certain newer lenses.

 Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
OP james djg Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

A local guy on CL has a 1.4ii for sale for $150.  Too much?  I normally don't buy used lenses from individuals because you never know how it's been treated.  I guess I could always go and try it out with my camera/lens.  Thanks

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,587
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

james djg wrote:

A local guy on CL has a 1.4ii for sale for $150. Too much? I normally don't buy used lenses from individuals because you never know how it's been treated. I guess I could always go and try it out with my camera/lens. Thanks

I'd be tempted if it worked and was in pristine condition.  Maybe he's willing to bargain?

 Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

Edit: Posted in wrong section for camera. Still if you know compatibility of lens and extender, that would be great, too.

According to the manual http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300018669/01/eos5ds-5dsr-im-en.pdf

P106 states the EF400 F5.6+EF 1.4* Extender is in Group H

Page 104 details exactly what the AF capabilities of group H setups are. In your case it is centre point only with assistance from the four points surrounding it.

-- hide signature --
OP james djg Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

Distinctly Average wrote:

P106 states the EF400 F5.6+EF 1.4* Extender is in Group H

Page 104 details exactly what the AF capabilities of group H setups are. In your case it is centre point only with assistance from the four points surrounding it.

That should be OK.  I only plan on using it for song birds, etc.  No BIF.

1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
Re: Canon 1.4x II extender

Dave wrote:

John Pane wrote:

Dave wrote:

John Pane wrote:

james djg wrote:

Does anyone know if the Canon 1.4x II extender is 100% compatible with the Canon 5DS and the Canon 400mm f5.6L lens?

It is optically compatible but it may not autofocus. Canon says:

Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS DSLR when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

It can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the following zoom lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS.

Is that camera-related? My 80D's manual places the 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4x extender combination in group H (center AF point only) for all three versions of the extender.

It also states "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/5.6, focus may not be achieved with AF when shooting low-contrast or low-light subjects". Further, "if the maximum aperture is slower than f/8, AF is not possible during viewfinder shooting".

Yes. Actually it looks like some cameras (including 5DS) can autofocus at f/8, which means a f/5.6 lens + 1.4x extender should support AF.

I wish I remembered where I read it, but I believe version III only offers improved performance over version II when used with certain newer lenses.

true, i have canon TC 1.4x II and TC 1.4x III--the rev III perform slightly better with the latest gen 2 lenses! i think it is the coating of the rev III and rev II lenses that make them match better! this was canon's info..

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads