How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
DaveK2 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Heck the improved wake-from-sleep response time was worth the upgrade price by itself!

DaveK2's gear list:DaveK2's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,398

Yunfan wrote:

My understanding is that a lot of the camera functions are baked in the hardware so if a feature is not supported on a single Expeed, adding another one won't help. For example if Sony and Cannon use hardware accelerated neural networks for better eye detection but Nikon's Expeed doesn't have such accelerators, adding another one won't help. Further, not all the tasks can be parallelized across two chips. While two processors might do better in terms of continuous/video FPS as these tasks are easy to distribute across two chips, tasks such as AF/AE/Tracking may not benefit as much from two processors as you cannot split these workloads by frame. These factors might help to explain why there is only incremental improvements in terms of AF/tracking on Z6 II with current firmware.

Adding the 2nd processor allowed them to do face and eye detection while recording video, which was not possible with a single Expeed 6. So I'm sure there is more to be had from parellel processing, especially as it's been used in high-end Nikon DSLRs before.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,398

daleeight wrote:

If low light shooting a lot, and using AF, then the z6II wins for being better at acquiring AF.

The girlfriend and I were handheld autofocusing on stars tonight. Ridiculous. I could never do that with DSLRs. The Z 6 could do it, too, but it took longer. Anecdotally, low-light AF was sped up a lot with the extra processing power.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

1llusive wrote:

daleeight wrote:

If low light shooting a lot, and using AF, then the z6II wins for being better at acquiring AF.

The girlfriend and I were handheld autofocusing on stars tonight. Ridiculous. I could never do that with DSLRs. The Z 6 could do it, too, but it took longer. Anecdotally, low-light AF was sped up a lot with the extra processing power.

I have to admit at current new prices, if the Z6II were affordable, I'd snap it up in a moment over the Z6 - only because the delta is relatively small. It feels to me Nikon have priced the mk IIs quite aggressively.

Here in the UK, the prices are new Z6ii £2000, new Z6 £1550, like-new used Z6 £1050 from reputable dealer, sale value of used Z6 to reputable dealer ~£700

My first choice would be new Z6ii, but if I didn't care for the upgrade, I'd rather go for a used top-condition Z6 over a new one.

The much harder question is if you already have a Z6. The trade to a Z6ii is a lot, for me not worth it. I'd rather spend any 'spare cash to treat myself' on Z lenses.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
Labmom60
Labmom60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
Re: Free 128GB CFE card with II

robertfel wrote:

I've never ordered from Hunt's, but they are an authorized dealer.

They're offering a card and reader.

I’ve ordered a few things from them, in fact a Manfrotto Be Free Advance Travel Tripod, $79 off.  They see. To have some good sales.  I saw the sale with the card/reader, definitely very tempting.

Labmom60
Labmom60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,181

I’ve been running the numbers too.  I can get a refurbished Z6 $2200, used $2000, new $2250(Nikon/Best Buy), a Z7 Refurbished or used $2600-$288, new Z6 II $2650(Nikon/Best Buy).  All with a 24-70 f4 and FTZ Adapter.  I’ll be coming from a d750 and shoot landscapes, street, birds at the feeders, travel and low light.  I have no interest in video, only stills(and low light).  It looks like around $400-$600 difference depending on buying new or used/refurbished.  I have no problem buying used.  The extra $$ would be spent in buying cards/readers.

msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,356
Re: Future firmware upgrades

Barleyman wrote:

I can't give you a number, but one thing you need to consider.

The firmware for the Z6 is pretty much set. I imagine, that except for minor fixes, and tweaks, it is done. The single processor can only handle so much. For all I know they are running out of memory to add more functionality.

Not necessarily, this is pure speculation. Nowhere has Nikon indicated no new firmware upgrades. On the contrary reputable sources (rumor, so perhaps debatable) suggests otherwise:

• The Z mount bodies will continue to receive firmware updates and the plan is to implement significant upgrades, not just minor fixes.

See: https://nikonrumors.com/2020/11/24/recap-of-recent-nikon-presentation-two-new-nikon-dslr-cameras-and-several-f-mount-lenses-coming-in-2021.aspx/#more-152857

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads