How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Yunfan Junior Member • Posts: 28
How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Hi there,

I am wondering how much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6 and what's your reason behind it?

In the U.S., Z6 body is now on sale for Black Friday at $1600 while the Z6 II stays at $2000. I mainly shoot landscape, portraits but no sports or animals. I also do not care about the dual card slots as I will be using XQD or CFExpress anyway. I might eventually do a little bit of video though. An additional $200-300 seems to be the most I would pay for Z6 II so I am inclining towards the Z6 now. Just wondering what do you all think?

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
m_black
m_black Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Re: How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

I am wondering how much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6 and what's your reason behind it?

In the U.S., Z6 body is now on sale for Black Friday at $1600 while the Z6 II stays at $2000. I mainly shoot landscape, portraits but no sports or animals. I also do not care about the dual card slots as I will be using XQD or CFExpress anyway. I might eventually do a little bit of video though. An additional $200-300 seems to be the most I would pay for Z6 II so I am inclining towards the Z6 now. Just wondering what do you all think?

I think you've answered your own question. If the price gap is $400 and you're only willing to spend another $300, that filters out anyhing above $1900, leaving only the Z6 as your purchase candidate. I've been using two Z6's professionally for almost 2 years now. You'll "get by" on the Z6 for your intended use   However, a friend of mine bought a Z6II and I've played with it for about 15 minutes. And for me, for what I do, the wide area face detect AF is worth the price difference on it's own. But the Z6 is still just as capable as it was the day before the Z6II was announced and continues to be.

-- hide signature --

(formerly mgblack74)
On IG: mikeblack_pw

m_black's gear list:m_black's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8
skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

Initially, the Z6II can save you $300 in memory cards and a card reader.  You're also losing $400+ in depreciation opening the box.  Wait until the official reviews and tests of the Z6II and the next firmware update are released.  I'm predicting more depreciation of the Z6/Z7.  I could totally see picking up a Z7 just for landscapes someday.
Having used a Z50 (keeper), Z5, and Z7 for over a month each, IMO the shutter sound and feel alone is worth the additional investment.  The Z6II is more responsive in everything you do.  Overall, it is still not quite up to D500 standards though, but most of the time I take better photos (metering, EVF, better glass, carrying my camera more due to the compact build) with the Z system.

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +6 more
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

The second processor with significantly improved AF performance, faster write speeds, larger buffer, full support for CFExpress cards, and the dual card slots is worth closer to $500 for me.  The camera is a significant upgrade, and it's a platform that is two full years newer.  The newer platform is the one that will get the firmware updates and AF system improvements for the next couple of years.

If you are not willing to pay for the Z6ii, the Z5 is probably a better option than a Z6.  The big differences in the Z5 are mainly related to action photography - something where card speed and AF for action are important.  The Z5 lags behind there - but if that does not matter you might as well save the money.

If budget is tight, the lowest prices tend to be January-March - the final quarter of Nikon's fiscal year.  I would not expect discounts on the Z6ii body, but you may see some lens and camera bundles or refurb deals that are very good.  I expect to see the Z6 at $1399-1499 if they are not sold out earlier.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +27 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

I shoot landscapes, have a Z6, and can't see myself swapping it for a Z6ii. However, if I didn't have the Z6, I reckon about £400 would be the turning point. Above that, the Z6 comes out as very good value for money, below that the Z6ii is worth for being a newer, better model.

As it is, I'm more likely to look for a Z7 or Z7ii.

Nigel

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Sherlockbonz-ii New Member • Posts: 15

Skyrunr nails it.  Unless you are going to focus on video, if you don't already have CFE or XQD cards buying those cards to use with the Z6 is going to cost you almost the entire difference.

Also, with Z6II you can get FTZ adapter for $50, which I don't believe is being offered with the Z6 anymore.

99tollap Regular Member • Posts: 137

In Switzerland the Z6 II with 24-70 is $1100 more expensive than the Z6 with the 24-70 and lens adapter. That's before the black friday deals on the Z6.

Makes the choice much easier at least.

OP Yunfan Junior Member • Posts: 28

skyrunr wrote:

Initially, the Z6II can save you $300 in memory cards and a card reader. You're also losing $400+ in depreciation opening the box. Wait until the official reviews and tests of the Z6II and the next firmware update are released. I'm predicting more depreciation of the Z6/Z7. I could totally see picking up a Z7 just for landscapes someday.
Having used a Z50 (keeper), Z5, and Z7 for over a month each, IMO the shutter sound and feel alone is worth the additional investment. The Z6II is more responsive in everything you do. Overall, it is still not quite up to D500 standards though, but most of the time I take better photos (metering, EVF, better glass, carrying my camera more due to the compact build) with the Z system.

I can see why the single XQD slot can incur an additional cost. However, right now you can get Z6 bundles (but not Z6 II) from B&H or Adorama that include a free Sony XQD card. The card is a bit small at 32GB, but that's still ~1000 images in 14 bit raw.

Joop_S Regular Member • Posts: 277

In the Netherlands you can buy a Z6 body for €1499  and the Z6II body for €1999. The premium is €500. A Z5 body for € 1399. For that €100 I think the Z6 is a better choice than the Z5. And with the €500 premium the Z6 is for the most persons a better choice than the Z6II.

Joop_S's gear list:Joop_S's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z 14-24mm F2.8
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

What I think is that it is silly to base a choice between the two cameras based on one or two hundred dollars.  If the Gen 2 has features you want/need then buy it.  If there are IQ improvements at all, then buy it.

To put it more plainly, if the first Gen Z6 was $1000 (or $500) I'd buy the Gen 2 if it had anything better that I cared about.  If Gen 2 had absolutely nothing that I cared about I might not buy it even if it was only $100 more.

If one or two hundred dollars makes or breaks the decision then a Z5 might be the better choice.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more

ericbowles wrote:

The second processor with significantly improved AF performance, faster write speeds, larger buffer, full support for CFExpress cards, and the dual card slots is worth closer to $500 for me. The camera is a significant upgrade, and it's a platform that is two full years newer. The newer platform is the one that will get the firmware updates and AF system improvements for the next couple of years.

If you are not willing to pay for the Z6ii, the Z5 is probably a better option than a Z6. The big differences in the Z5 are mainly related to action photography - something where card speed and AF for action are important. The Z5 lags behind there - but if that does not matter you might as well save the money.

If budget is tight, the lowest prices tend to be January-March - the final quarter of Nikon's fiscal year. I would not expect discounts on the Z6ii body, but you may see some lens and camera bundles or refurb deals that are very good. I expect to see the Z6 at $1399-1499 if they are not sold out earlier.

Thanks for your suggestions Eric! I would definitely pay attention to the spring discounts you mentioned in another reply. I do strongly prefer the Z6 over the Z5 though, as the former has a newer BSI sensor.

I think with current firmware the Z6 II only have incremental improvements in AF/Tracking compared with the Z6 (Nikon's own PR language also says so, see here). I get that the Z6 won't get any firmware updates except for minor bug fixes and all the software improvements will go to the Z6 II, making the latter much more future-proof. Nevertheless, being a Software Developer and someone who dabbed in computer vision/computational photography, my main concern is that the Z6 II's second processor might not provide much room for improvements even with future software updates.

My understanding is that a lot of the camera functions are baked in the hardware so if a feature is not supported on a single Expeed, adding another one won't help. For example if Sony and Cannon use hardware accelerated neural networks for better eye detection but Nikon's Expeed doesn't have such accelerators, adding another one won't help. Further, not all the tasks can be parallelized across two chips. While two processors might do better in terms of continuous/video FPS as these tasks are easy to distribute across two chips, tasks such as AF/AE/Tracking may not benefit as much from two processors as you cannot split these workloads by frame. These factors might help to explain why there is only incremental improvements in terms of AF/tracking on Z6 II with current firmware.

That being said, these are all my speculations so definitely treat them with caution. As a long time Nikon DSLR shooter, I really hope they can prove me wrong and bring excellent new features to Z6 II with future firmware updates.

Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 727

I spent $2099 for my Z6 back in early 2019 and received the FTZ and 120GB XQD card(along with the Nikon bag) for free. So, assuming the FTZ would have cost $250 and the XQD another $200 back then, I “saved” perhaps $450, so Z6 alone cost me $1650.

Z6II does not have enough video features to purchase, but if I can sell my Z6 for $1200, it would cost me $800 additional or $400 if I account for those “free” FTZ and XQD. Premium of $400 is a much easier pill to swallow, but no way if I assume the premium is $800.

If Nikon comes out and say that Z6II will get an internal 10bit video update, I will be incentivize to pay the premium.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
Leswick II Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

Since I'm willing to wait till Feb or so....for all the news on Z6II to calm down and hopefully it will be worth that amount.  Can't say that the buffer (124 shots) is the clincher for me, but along with 14FPS, etc....all the stats look good.  It's hard to put a $ figure on this....and I hear the AF is decent (which I don't use).  It will be a good camera to copy slides....with a good macro lens.  Each of us have a different econo threshold.

Good luck figuring this out.

Varuas wrote:

If Nikon comes out and say that Z6II will get an internal 10bit video update, I will be incentivize to pay the premium.

Same here. I *might* do a bit of video in the future so if the Z6 II has internal 10bit 422 video I would be happy to pay $400 more considering the cheapest camera that has it (Lumix S5) is way behind in photography and autofocus. Even if the Z6 II has no internal 10bit 422 video I would still pay the premium if it has photography improvements such as 5.6M dots EVF or obvious AF improvements at launch.

Unfortunately I highly doubt the Z6 II will get either internal 422 or 10bit through a firmware update. My understanding is that the hardware encoders in Expeed 6 can only do H264 8bit 420 so that adding another processor still wouldn't give you internal 10bit 422. The processor is fast enough to convert the raw output from the sensor to 10bit 422 video, but it has no way to encode the 10bit 422 video to H264/HEVC/ProRes for internal recording. Therefore the best it can do is to feed the video to an external recorder through HDMI and let the external recorder to do the job. This also explains why Nikon never promised internal 10bit 422 on Z6 II through firmware updates even though saying so would lead to a huge boost in Z6 II sales.

daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

If you need to capture one image out of a burst, then the z6II is much better. More fps is better than less fps... higher buffer count is better too with the z6II...

If low light shooting a lot, and using AF, then the z6II wins for being better at acquiring AF.

Does anyone really need a backup or 2nd card slot to put JPGs on with RAWs on the other? If it can do that? The 2nd card slot costs money to put in the camera, but I don't rate it as more than a small price to pay, despite all the flak Nikon got for only 1 card slot originally. If it was really that big a deal, then why do people even care about the z6 since the z6II has 2 slots? I wouldn't buy a z6II because you don't want to buy a XQD or CFE card, because that is just crazy talk.

Video, I don't care about, but if you like video, then I guess the z6II is better.

To me, more FPS and the chance that I get a better image in a burst from the z6II is worth a lot. Getting better accuracy in focus grabbing and locking in low light is worth a lot. Sometimes those 2 needs cross and in that case it is even more important to have both. To me it is worth $500, but I'm not you or anyone else. Like others, if there is something you need, or just need the latest, then there is no question. It is just when will you have the money to buy what you need.

Canon supposedly has a better camera in the R6, and it has less MPs, and by less, it is a lot less.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
Barleyman
Barleyman Regular Member • Posts: 477

I can't give you a number,  but one thing you need to consider.

The firmware for the Z6 is pretty much set.  I imagine,  that except for minor fixes, and tweaks,  it is done.  The single processor  can only handle so much.  For all I know they are running out of memory to add more functionality.

Conversely,  the Z6 II is getting feature upgrades,  and likely will ride the upgrade train for at least 2 years.    If I was buying new right now,  I'd get the Z6 II  on that reason alone.  Times have changed,  and camera manufacturers are beginning to "get" it on software side of photography.

Barleyman's gear list:Barleyman's gear list
Nikon Z6 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +7 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

I am going to skip the Z6II as I have two Z6s and they work great. I do not need anything the II version offers. I shoot all my jobs with the Z6 and it works great.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
jthomas39 Regular Member • Posts: 453

XQD card capacity

You might not need to factor in the price of a large XQD card.

I have a bundled 32GB XQD card. I just did a test using silent shutter and high speed to try to fill the card. I stopped when the Z6 display indicated 49 shots remaining.

Stats:

28.3 GB formatted size (which is 30,467,000,000 bytes)

25.5 GB used. That's 90%. The display's remaining shots count is conservative.

2.83 GB free

Raw NEF 14 bit and jpg Normal* (the higher quality Normal, these look a lot better.)

1430 files, that's 715 image pairs.

NEF ranged from 34,778 KB to 26,345 KB, with many around 30,000.

jpg ranged from 7,949 KB to 4,060 KB, with many around 7,000.

With just 14-bit NEF, no jpg:

20.8 GB used, about 73%

7.49 GB free

715 NEF images.

robertfel Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
Free 128GB CFE card with II

I've never ordered from Hunt's, but they are an authorized dealer.

They're offering a card and reader.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
perhort
perhort Regular Member • Posts: 137

In my view, the "no-info" mode in the viewfinder and liveview siginificantly enhnaces the shooting experience. This feature is worth the upgrade alone. Add to that the general snappiness of the Z6ii. For a price difference of 500-600 USD, the Z6 ii is the more vauable alternative.

perhort's gear list:perhort's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads