Quality of Canon photo papers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Mystique of Tea Forum Member • Posts: 58
Quality of Canon photo papers

Is there big difference in quality of Canon basic photo papers (like matte photo paper, photo paper plus semi gloss ,...) and premium papers (pro premium matte, pro luster,...)? Thank you for any advice

P.S.: how you cut paper into smaller formats? There are wheel cutters, lever cutters,.. how big is necessary for A2 photos?

Mystique of Tea's gear list:Mystique of Tea's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
ChicagoRob
ChicagoRob Contributing Member • Posts: 941
Re: Quality of Canon photo papers

I’ve used all of the Canon papers and they are very good for the price. Most of my experience has been with their luster/satin and glossy papers, of which Photo Paper Pro Luster is the most archival. In the matte genre, Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte is an excellent, low-cost offering.

For print trimming, I use a Dahle rotary, wheel trimmer. If you want the absolute best, then Rotatrim sets the standard.

To print A2, you will need 17”x25” paper.

OP Mystique of Tea Forum Member • Posts: 58

ChicagoRob wrote:

I’ve used all of the Canon papers and they are very good for the price. Most of my experience has been with their luster/satin and glossy papers, of which Photo Paper Pro Luster is the most archival.

Thank you for info. This relates to dye inks only or pigmets also?

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
ChicagoRob

Mystique of Tea wrote:

ChicagoRob wrote:

I’ve used all of the Canon papers and they are very good for the price. Most of my experience has been with their luster/satin and glossy papers, of which Photo Paper Pro Luster is the most archival.

Thank you for info. This relates to dye inks only or pigmets also?

All of the papers will be fine with dye/pigment inks, but matte papers will produce slightly deeper black tones with pigment printers and MK ink.

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,600

Is there big difference in quality of Canon basic photo papers (like matte photo paper, photo paper plus semi gloss ,...) and premium papers (pro premium matte, pro luster,...)?

The Canon (and Epson) papers that come in cheaper and more expensive versions differ mostly by weight / thickness. E.g. Canon GP-701 Glossy is thinner (and more see-through) than Canon PP-301 Plus Glossy II.

P.S.: how you cut paper into smaller formats? There are wheel cutters, lever cutters,.. how big is necessary for A2 photos?

I think most people find rotary trimmers to be the best / most precise. Those range from smaller and less precise $25 - $40 models to what most people seem to regard as the best, the Rotatrim Professional dual-rail trimmers.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
OP Mystique of Tea Forum Member • Posts: 58

Thank you for answers

Interesting seems especialy difference between common (170g/m2) and premium matte paper (210g/m2), which is 2,5x times more expensive. Common should be more white, but seems like good value.

I will try Dahle 554 cutter probably, price is not so bad

ChicagoRob

Mystique of Tea wrote:

Thank you for answers

Interesting seems especialy difference between common (170g/m2) and premium matte paper (210g/m2), which is 2,5x times more expensive. Common should be more white, but seems like good value.

I will try Dahle 554 cutter probably, price is not so bad

Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte is really good, considering its price point. It yields deeper black tones than comparatively-priced matte papers from Red River and Epson. If you want to step up your matte game,  you can go for Canson Infinity Rag Photographique, which is considerably more expensive.

You can’t go wrong with the Dahle 554. I have the Dahle 550 and still cuts perfectively, after six years of use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads